Author Topic: Let's talk about the Wu Jen  (Read 11844 times)

Mixster

• Grape ape
Let's talk about the Wu Jen
« on: November 09, 2010, 08:42:23 PM »
Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago a friend of mine asked me what I knew of the Wu Jen, and I was like, oh that spontaneous cha casting class from complete arcane? Never seen them in play. After looking them up, I found out they are not spontaneous casters, and they are int based. So I was pretty wrong.
Then I told him I'd look at it, and tell him what I thought about it.
At first I was very unimpressed, the Taboos are horribly stupid (Now you can't wear the colour purple or you'll lose all your spells). And the spell secrets are so-so. Getting free extend on things like rope trick is good, but not mind-bogglingly overpowered.

But apart from that Mr. Wu Jen has some things going for him:
He gets a lot of good buff spells, and some decent Battlefield control spells. As well as getting a minor selection of spells where his caster level increases by 2 (if you select water you get a lot of good BC spells there).
Free metamagics on some spells is nothing to sneeze at, even though it can be done with Arcane Thesis it is still useful for those spells you only want to apply one metamagic to.
Unique spells. Yes I bolded this one, because some of his unique spells are pretty good. Body outside body is godlike for gishes. Creeping Darkness is wonderful Battlefield Control that can follow opponents and have a decent duration. Giant size is again a wonderful gish spell, giving you an obscene amount of strength, that can be combined with fire shuriken to put the hurt on your enemies, should they be vulnerable to fire. Ice blast can potentially fatigue big groups of enemies. Magnetism can make you able to disarm multiple opponents, and is a decent de-buff lasting all battle for low levels when you need to conserve spells.

Also a Wu jen gets a nice compilation of spells, while most of them resemble arcane spells, he also has stuff that resemble divine spells, and even bardic spells.

The main thing he has going against him is that with every new book, Wizards get more spells, and the Wu Jen doesn't, but how big of a downside is this when you have the useful spells from core anyway?

So what do you guys think of this special ol' caster, do you think he should have his own handbook?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Let's talk about the Wu Jen
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 08:45:10 PM »
The most that the Wu Jen deserves is a topic highlighting unique spells. And ways to get them on other spell lists. Giant Size is something I try to get on all of my casters spell-lists.

EDIT:

Body Outside Body- Fucking rockstar broken as hell.
Creeping Darkness- Solid BFC. Blinds and Deafens a 20ft cloud. Sorta weak for 4th level.
Dancing Blade- Cool! Cast a spell on a sword, the anyone who uses the sword uses it as your BAB. Strong if you get creative with it. Chaining and equping tons of minions.
Lightning Blade- Basically wraithtouch but longsword and electrical damage. And you lose Str to damage.
Pain- No save -2 penaty on all saves. Not terrible...
Smoke Ladder- Neat but not great.
Giant Size

Only spells worth even preparing considering.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 10:04:16 PM by bearsarebrown »

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 09:25:24 PM »
One perk I might say about the Wu Jen is it can be supplied as a stepping stool for new players to test out a prepared, arcane caster before launching into the complex mess that can sometimes be the wizard. Wu Jen brings a concentrated amount of spells and also provides a sense of class-born flavor, so these can be utilized with new players.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 12:39:26 AM »
Complete Mage and Dragon Magic have new wu jen spells. 

The Spell Compendium says:
Other Spellcasting ClassesWu Jen (Complete Arcane): Add spells with element (except air), wood, and metal themes.

The Design & Development interview for the Spell Compendium says:

That web enhancement never came. 

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 06:55:30 AM »
That is actually awesome. Although looking through the spell compendium will take me a day, I might get to it and try to make something of it.

Body outside body is only really good if you are a gish though, so is dancing blade.
A gish with leadership could make an awesome build with a chained dancing blade though.

I also disagree on the Creeping darkness is not a good 4th level BFC. It is a very solid BFC against casters, since it can shut them down in a fairly large area. And then follow them around.

So it seems Wu Jen is pretty good to build a gish around with these spells.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 06:58:33 AM by Mixster »

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 09:05:05 AM »
ive always wanted to make a gish out of a Wu Jen Personaly but never had the chance.  i may have to do this next time im not DMing my group.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 09:29:30 AM »
The lack of spell support really messed it up.

I like using them for an easy entry into Shadowcraft Mage shenanigans, but it also works well on any of the metamagic requiring classes.  Nothing like using Incanatrix to shift your persistant Giant Size over to the Monk in the party.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 10:06:20 AM »
I personally like Aboreal Transformation from Complete Mage.  If the target fails the save, they turn into a treant that serves you for caster level days.  After that, they become a normal Oak tree.  If they succeed on the save, they're Slowed.  So, it's a save and suck or be enslaved.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Arz

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 02:33:03 PM »
The most that the Wu Jen deserves is a topic highlighting unique spells. And ways to get them on other spell lists. Giant Size is something I try to get on all of my casters spell-lists.

EDIT:

Body Outside Body- Fucking rockstar broken as hell.
Creeping Darkness- Solid BFC. Blinds and Deafens a 20ft cloud. Sorta weak for 4th level.
Dancing Blade- Cool! Cast a spell on a sword, the anyone who uses the sword uses it as your BAB. Strong if you get creative with it. Chaining and equping tons of minions.
Lightning Blade- Basically wraithtouch but longsword and electrical damage. And you lose Str to damage.
Pain- No save -2 penaty on all saves. Not terrible...
Smoke Ladder- Neat but not great.
Giant Size

Only spells worth even preparing considering.
A few you forgot...
Magnetism - fun for dragging baddies around the field
Terra Cotta warrior/lion

...hate how SPC was core only with no firm support for alternate lists.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 02:53:02 PM »
ive always wanted to make a gish out of a Wu Jen Personaly but never had the chance.  i may have to do this next time im not DMing my group.
Do give a pointer to your experiences with it.
I haven't played a Wu Jen yet, but I'm considered playing a gish in an up-coming campaign, and  I could base it off Wu Jen to try it.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out