Author Topic: [3.5e] Combat Action Changes  (Read 4390 times)

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
  • Magmar, the ultimate butthead
    • Feybook Project
[3.5e] Combat Action Changes
« on: November 09, 2010, 05:07:23 PM »

Bull Rush
Overrun
Sunder
Trip
Disarm

Grapple:
Step 1 - Grab opponent (melee touch attack as attack action), provoke attacks from opponents nearby that are not targeted. If successful then you and target are now grappling. The target is Entangled and may not move beyond the character's reach until freed on their own turn, but if the target has higher STR then their movement continues for the rest of the round. One of the character's limbs is considered used as long as grab is held and can not make non-grapple actions.
Step 2 - Make 1 Grapple Action (see "If You're Grappling" options under http://dndsrd.net/specialAttacks.html#grapple) as a melee attack action, roll Combat Check as normal.
Step 3 - Hold. You may either remain in place or move in to target's space. If held until the beginning of the next turn, skip the Grab step and move directly to the Grapple Action. If the target is out of reach or hold is broken, the grapple ends immediately and the limb used to grab is free to use again.

Escape From Grapple: Combat Check or Escape Artist check made opposed by STR or DEX + size modifier of grappling opponent.

Grab Group: A character may grapple multiple targets at least one size smaller by using the best STR or DEX score of the group as DC, +1 for each other member within reach included in the grapple.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: [3.5e] Combat Action Changes
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 09:53:41 AM »
So, just to be clear, these aren't opposed rolls anymore?  You attack a static DC of 10 + size + mod?  It looks like you're missing BAB in the DC though, but you added it in the attacking formula.  This means the attacker will quickly out-scale the defender.

Can you inflict damage on a grapple?  Do all the normal grapple rules still apply (not being able to draw or use a non-light weapon, not being able to cast somatic spells, etc...)?
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
  • Magmar, the ultimate butthead
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 03:33:08 PM »
Yes it's an attacker roll vs defender static DC.

Hmm You're right, the missing BAB is a typo. Good eye.

Although, I could just remove BAB from the attacker formula. Warrior stats tend to increase either or both STR and DEX anyway...
The only defenders left mangled against every attack would be mage-types with low STR and DEX, which is fine IMO.

EDIT: OK I added the missing BAB, since it must compare to skill checks which scale as well.

Inflicting damage with a grapple is a Grapple Action, as normal. All Grapple Actions are unchanged aside from Escape.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 05:12:29 PM »
Yes it's an attacker roll vs defender static DC.

Hmm You're right, the missing BAB is a typo. Good eye.

Although, I could just remove BAB from the attacker formula. Warrior stats tend to increase either or both STR and DEX anyway...
The only defenders left mangled against every attack would be mage-types with low STR and DEX, which is fine IMO.
The static thing makes rolling easier.  It also hoses people on the bottom of the RNG less.

I guess I could go either way on the BAB thing.  Personally, I'd say leave it in.  Although, it will depend on what you fight.  Some things scale pretty quickly on both size and BAB compared to CR.  A hill giant (CR 7) will have a bonus of +20, which is beyond what an unbuffed melee guy can handle.  A cloud giant (CR 11) will have a bonus of +32.  If you dropped BAB out of the equation, it would hurt the giants a bit more than the fighters, which would make life a bit easier on the fighters.  This, of course, would have the odd effect of making otherwise really weak opponents much harder to beat, as well.

I guess it depends on what you really want out of the system.

Inflicting damage with a grapple is a Grapple Action, as normal. All Grapple Actions are unchanged aside from Escape.
Okay.  I just wanted to see if this was a replacement or an update.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]