Author Topic: Looking for a few ideas for my Duskblade  (Read 2993 times)

hyriu

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Looking for a few ideas for my Duskblade
« on: November 09, 2010, 02:17:02 PM »
Hello everyone !

This is my first time on this forums and my first attempt at optimizing a PC.

I'm currently playing an 18 lvl Duskblade in my friends campaign his setting is Forgotten Realms and will be going to go all the way to lvl 40 or so. His rules are that improve crit and keen stack and if you take a prestige class you need to all the lvls of that class so no 1 lvl dipping. Any book is allowed as well. This is my first time at 3.5 so I just decided to play my PC single class all the way until now. I would like to optimize a bit to be more effective to the group and also to have some more PC development since there is only 2 more lvls of Duskblade left anyways. I would like to choose something that will go with the theme that I've been playing all this time and not just something random just because.

My Pc theme is kinda of a mercenary so I've choosen some feats and things base on PC concept but I've been thinking about retraining my two weapon fighting feats if I can turn them to something more usefull.

as for stats this is what I have Str 17/23 with a belt of giant str Dex 20 Con 16 Int 16 Wis 16 Cha 15

My current AC is 33 with a breastplate +3 ring of protection +5 and an amulet of natural AC +5

Feats Combat-Casting, Improved Initiative, Combat-Reflexes, Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Investigator,Improved Critical (All weapons per DM), Armor Proficiency (heavy),Armor Proficiency (light), Armor Proficiency (medium),Shield Proficiency and Exotic Weapon: Katana

Spellwise I'm confortable with what I have but if I can expand the list a bit i wouldnt mind. I wanna improve my AC and my abilityu to hit a bit more and also find a way to increase my dmg a bit in range combat.

Any help or imput will be apreciated.

Thank you for reading my post
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 02:22:08 PM by hyriu »

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Looking for a few ideas for my Duskblade
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 03:54:09 PM »
Good feats to have for your character, Arcane strike from CW to boost your damage and attack a fair bit by expending your spells, Knowledge devotion for a constant bonus against certain enemy types and making use of your knowledge class skills. Arcane disciple would be a great choice for a feat if you picked it earlier in your character's career but this late in the game it is not worth it. Check out this handbook.

hyriu

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 04:36:45 PM »
I read the handbook and look at every repply that the handbook had. But unfortunatelly everyone stops at 20. We are going to go past 20 so I'm clueless about what to do since there is no more table or information past 20. So I need to either start another class or choose a prestige class that works well with my duskblade. I found the Handbook valuable but I need to look past the 20s

saethone

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 04:59:26 PM »
take 5 levels of abjurant champion for sure. I'd also reccomend the epic feats to grant you higher level spell slots so you can progress your spells for arcane strike, etc

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 05:01:24 PM »
Take levels in Dragon Disciple for a decent boost to your combat abilities.  Then see if your DM will let you take the original Epic version of Dragon Disciple (available on the WotC website).  After a few levels, you literally gain a size increase.  Definitely useful for a melee combatant.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

hyriu

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 07:22:15 PM »
This are all nice suggestions but We already have giants and other heavy duty fighters in the party. I just wanna keep my role as a supporting PC with a little more expansion and diversity. Maybe add a bit of more range type combat and inprove my ac a bit better I just recently got it up to 37 right now with some more armor enhancement and a ring of shielding +2

If I can reach AC 40 and some decent range type attack and some decent lvl progression for 21-40 I'm happy.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 07:39:54 PM »
Mithril Full Plate of Nimbleness +5, Mithril Buckler +5, Alter Self/Amulet of Nat AC +5, Dex +4, Ring of Protection +2 = AC 40 without even trying hard.

hyriu

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 07:45:04 PM »
Mithril Full Plate of Nimbleness +5, Mithril Buckler +5, Alter Self/Amulet of Nat AC +5, Dex +4, Ring of Protection +2 = AC 40 without even trying hard.

Nice thanks I can probably play with that! Thanks for resolving my AC issue.  Its kinda hard since I don't grasp that well how 3.5 works. Now for my lvl situation anyone would like to suggest something ?

Thanks.

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 12:50:14 AM »
     a good 10 level class for you to grab is Rainbow Servant.  at level 10 you gain access to all clerical spells to add to your spells known in exchange for other spells.

as well as mage of the arcane order where you can trade your spell slots for other spells from the sorcerer/wizard spell list from the players handbook

the bloodline feats from the dragon compendium can help you with spells known.  you can get the one with shadow evecations to learn a handfull of decent touch spells to your options that way. 

you can also start into another base class if you cant figure something out that suits your needs.  i would suggest another INT based caster since say wizard,  then take 10 levels of Ultimate Magus to let you start using metamagic feats cheaply.  if you are going to 40 garunteed it will give you huge amounts of options for buff spells to send your AC and to hit through the roof.

i believe i was easily topping AC of 70 and a to hit that was way more than enough to blast anythings touch AC while power attacking away my BAB.

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 12:59:53 AM »
the problem with Rainbow Servant and Duskblade, is that you don't automatically know all the cleric list (as a Dread necro for example would do), since the Rainbow Servant add the spells to your spell list not spells known list.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 01:28:40 AM »
if you don't mind the creepy factor, the Mother Cyst feat from Libris Mortis adds a whole set of spells to your spells known.

2nd Dragon Disciple and Abjuration Champion.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Akahi

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 01:38:29 AM »
Go Cleric, cloistered Cleric.
Get the Protection and Law Domains, cloistered cleric variant gets you knowledge domain.
Change all domains for devotion feats.
You get:
a rough +7 to attacks or AC from Law devotion.
a rough +5 to attacks and damage from Knowledge Devotion.
a Rough +7 to AC to everyone in a 30' radius from Protection Devotion.
Turn Undead, like 6 of 'em.
Some cleric spells (not that usefull now, since they are lvl 1)
+2 to fort and will saves.
6+int skill points.
You may also get animal devotion if one of the other two aren't what you look for, it gets you some nice abilities.

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 05:51:24 AM »
There is the sandshaper PrC from Sandstorm. It adds a lot of spells to spells known, but due to the house rule you will lose 2 levels of casting, and you shouldn'y combine with the Abjuration Champion with the house rule(sandshaper is only 1/2 bab). Normally sandshaper is taken as a 1~8 level dip, due to losing casting on level 1, and 9.

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 08:47:09 AM »
the problem with Rainbow Servant and Duskblade, is that you don't automatically know all the cleric list (as a Dread necro for example would do), since the Rainbow Servant add the spells to your spell list not spells known list.

i did say this and adding spells to the duskblade spell list isnt a bad option even if its not the most optimal.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 11:56:04 AM »
In Epic, a few things are mandatory:

1) Divine Power. You need a way to get it, or else your BAB will be stuck in the crappy Epic BAB progression. You will probably have to take Arcane Disciple for this, and find a way to persist it. the other option is really taking Rainbow Servant and then taking Extra Spell a couple of times, because you won't actually get new spells known at all.

2) Wraithstrike. Epic monsters get a lot of AC easily. You want to be able to hit them. I don't have good suggestions for how to get this.

3) Shapechange. Basically either you have it or you suck. This is a harder one, but not impossible. What I suggest is: Take a level of Bard at 21, and get the requisite feats to get into Sublime chord. Then up your Cha a little, so that you'll be able to cast 9th level spells.

4) Cheap metamagic. That won't be your forte. Get one of your mates into Incantatrix so that he can persist your spells.

5) Immunities: Basically Epic moves off the RNG completely. Which means that saves WON'T save you. You need to be immune to death effects, to ability damage, ability drain and some other things. There are some items that help, here. Also, the spell "Veil of Undeath", if you can get that cast on you somehow.

Unfortunately the Duskblade is a poor class in Epic - while it stays fairly ok offensively, it's simply not versatile enough to compete with full casters. However, if you're playing with a lot of mundanes, then you still have it easy, since they will suck more.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 01:53:02 PM »
Become a lich...

Get a mask and as a phlactery a nail from a rowboat. put it on a boat. Sink the boat to the bottom of a lake.

Play as Jason Vorhees.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 08:59:13 PM »
Become a lich...

Get a mask and as a phlactery a nail from a rowboat. put it on a boat. Sink the boat to the bottom of a lake.

Play as Jason Vorhees.

That covers roughly half the immunities you need for epic levels, a good start.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 02:43:31 AM »
Become a lich...

Play as Jason Vorhees.

That covers roughly half the immunities you need for epic levels, a good start.

:D I try I try..
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"