Author Topic: What kind of ability is Spellcasting ?  (Read 2430 times)

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
What kind of ability is Spellcasting ?
« on: November 09, 2010, 12:47:42 AM »
Since it was suggested to me that this is not a simple question I made a topic for it....
So what kind of ability is spellcasting?
Is it spelllike,supernatural,extraordinary or natural?
Monster manual 5 would seem to suggest that it is extraordinary but that would mean that you get it with polymorph.....

Psithief

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: What kind of ability is Spellcasting ?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 01:08:09 AM »
I posit that it's a natural mental ability.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 03:51:53 AM »
I posit that it's a natural mental ability.
Natural Abilities

This category includes abilities a creature has because of its physical nature.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 04:19:10 AM »
AFAIK the RAW take on things is as follows:

By the books, spellcasting is either extraordinary or natural since it is neither supernatural or spell-like (books make a clear disticntion between these and spells). It was clarified by Sage IIRC as being extraordinary.

Going by this ruling however opens up quite a big can of worms regarding shapechange, since you would also get the spells the new form is able of casting.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 10:28:11 AM »
Extraordinary abilities are specifically non-magical. Natural abilities are specifically physical. Spell-like abilities and supernatural abilities have particular distinctions from spells.

Conclusion: Spellcasting is not an ability.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 12:59:27 PM »

That makes no sense at all.

The most reasonable and internally consistent interpretation I have seen (if not the most balanced, with shapeshifting magic it can get broken) is that the ability to cast spells is an extraordinary non-magical ability which causes a magical effect, much like how a rogue with UMD can cause magical effects. This is backed up by the way the ex/su/sla/nat abilities are defined, the invoke magic spell (you can cast in an antimagic field, it just usually does nothing) and the MM 5.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 01:04:42 PM »
The most reasonable and internally consistent interpretation I have seen (if not the most balanced, with shapeshifting magic it can get broken) is that the ability to cast spells is an extraordinary non-magical ability which causes a magical effect, much like how a rogue with UMD can cause magical effects. This is backed up by the way the ex/su/sla/nat abilities are defined, the invoke magic spell (you can cast in an antimagic field, it just usually does nothing) and the MM 5.
Its 'broken' but this is what the rules say.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 01:09:48 PM »

That makes no sense at all.

Truthfully it does not make sense, but it's the only thing I can wring from the SRD. Psionics are spell-like abilities at least... which is much more convenient.

The lengths gone to *not* to specify spellcasting as any particular type of ability suggest it's not something meant to be gained by shapeshifting, at least, though it may make the most sense otherwise as an odd sort of extraordinary ability.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 01:14:16 PM »
Oh, we also have the option of psi-like ability under types of abilities. It seems unlikely admittedly.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 01:16:40 PM »
Oh, we also have the option of psi-like ability under types of abilities. It seems unlikely admittedly.

I think psi/magic transparency shuts that idea down as psi-like abilities are equivalent to spell-like abilities.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 01:26:13 PM »

I think psi/magic transparency shuts that idea down as psi-like abilities are equivalent to spell-like abilities.
And even still, that just means it was cleared up for psi-like abilities in one splat book, but was still never explicitly addressed for spells.

That being said, I think the strongest case for RAW is that it's Ex, but I don't blame any DM for not counting it that way at an actual table.  I wouldn't.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 01:26:31 PM »
Actually, all psionics are psi-like abilities. And all psi-like abilities are spell-like abilities.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 01:30:06 PM »
So I guess classifying it as an ass kicking ability doesn't really help now does it.  :P

I'm in agreement with the others though, it should be EX based off of how everything is written but that just opens the door to abuse and should likely be house ruled into something else even if it is something new just so it can't be abused in that way.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 09:00:08 PM »
iirc, it was K and FrankT
that chimed in, perhaps the last time they did so together, on the old TO board
with the Polymorph update circa then.

Spellcasting "was" either ex or su or sp , even if undefined.
Hence, polymorph could pick up those abilities too.
That's where the polymorphing to get the monsters spellcasting ability started.

Minor detail ... a psionic power produces a (ps) effect.
It's the effect that's equal to a (sp) effect, totally equal.
The ability that produces the effect, is not.
What exactly that ability is, has never been determined.
Then it flips back onto what K / FrankT posted on TO.
You can get it, even if you don't know exactly what it is.

Cheesy yes. RAW yes.

So ... you don't know what kind of ability spellcasting is,
except that it is (ex) or (su) or (sp) ... you still don't know.
And you still can get it.