Author Topic: Use 'Spellblade' for anti-dispel-magic... but how many weapons on a person?  (Read 10465 times)

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Hi there, I have been trying to figure out a way to maximize the number of 'wielded' weapons on a character, so I can take a list of most of the 'dispel magic' type spells (there's like twenty, including spells, psionics, and invocations...) and rank them in the order of "We need immunity to this one first" to "We need immunity to this one last", and simply put a bunch of +1 spellblades of (that variant dispel magic) on a person.

So, like I said... maximizing the number of +1 Spellblade weapons on a person...

I'm thinking.
1. Dual weapons, each with a close fighting blade (=4?)
2. Some exotic buckler that is spiked (Buckler Axe, Tortoise Blade) (=1)
3. Gauntlets / Spiked Gauntlets / Hand Wraps / Claw bracers, etc. (=2 maybe?)
4. Braid Blade (=1)
5. Foot Spikes (=2)
6. Armor Spikes (=1)
7. Dueling Cloak (=1)
8. Poison Ring (=2)

So that should be most of them... that means... uhh... fourteen, I think. Maybe more, if you want to have a TON of poison rings... And they'll look like a freak in this getup, for sure... uhm, would getting "Defending" and Greater Magic Weapon on each and every one of these let you get huuuge bonuses to AC? You wouldn't be attacking with most of these... Can anyone help me figure this out a bit better? Thanks!

This assumes they are roughly human form... if they have extra limbs (wings, tail, a few extra arms) it can go up..

BIG EDIT: In the comments, I very much changed the focus of the discussion of this into broad-based ways that someone can use spells and items to defend against dispelling type assault, generally in an ablative/tiered/layered/defense-in-depth manner.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 03:40:26 AM by Gavinfoxx »
BG's other resident furry!

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
More arms. And an issue of Dungeon has one handed double weapons.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
Hi there, I have been trying to figure out a way to maximize the number of 'wielded' weapons on a character, so I can take a list of most of the 'dispel magic' type spells (there's like twenty, including spells, psionics, and invocations...) and rank them in the order of "We need immunity to this one first" to "We need immunity to this one last", and simply put a bunch of +1 spellblades of (that variant dispel magic) on a person.

Ehrm--didn't think you COULD make yourself immune to Dispel Magic with a Spellblade.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
You could to the targeted version.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Also consider Globe of Invulnerability. A good portion of those 20 spells are probably 4th level or below.

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
Complete Scoundrel: Surprise weapons

Boot Blade
Elbow Blade
Knee Blade
Sleeve Blade
etc.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Defending

No. Defending transfers them into an enhancement bonus, which explicitly doesn't stack with itself. So you could turn them all into Defending - but only the highest individual bonus would be applied to your AC.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
Re: Defending

No. Defending transfers them into an enhancement bonus, which explicitly doesn't stack with itself. So you could turn them all into Defending - but only the highest individual bonus would be applied to your AC.
Is that in the FAQ or something (I hate trying to find shit in the FAQ)? The DMG says the bonus stacks with ALL others, and I see nothing pertinent in the errata. It doesn't say anything about being an enhancement bonus to armor, just that the enhancement bonus on the weapon is made into an AC bonus that stacks with all other bonuses.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 09:26:11 PM by BeholderSlayer »
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Re: Defending

Quote from: DMG
a bonus
that stacks with all others.

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
Hence why I asked if it was in the FAQ.  :P
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Use 'Spellblade' for anti-dispel-magic... but how many weapons on a person?
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 09:39:52 PM »
Dancing weapons would work, providing you with an arbitrary number of "unslotted" weapons. The problem with this is that each weapon requires a standard action to activate and only "dances" for 4 rounds. If you can use everdancing weapons, those work much better.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 09:53:13 PM »

Quote from: DMG
a bonus
that stacks with all others.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 09:59:51 PM »

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 10:01:33 PM »
Re: Re: Re: Re: Defending

I've had this argument at least forum times on this forum alone. The text is unclear. "All others" can mean bonuses other then Defending or any other bonus. I don't feel like debating it any more than that.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 10:11:26 PM »
More arms. And an issue of Dungeon has one handed double weapons.
Which is positively ludicrous given that you can't use both ends of a double weapon while wielding it one-handed.

Also consider Globe of Invulnerability. A good portion of those 20 spells are probably 4th level or below.
The ones that matter, however, are not (like Greater Dispel Magic, Greater Wall of Dispel Magic, Chain Dispelling, etc.).  There are a lot that aren't even targeted, as well.  Of course, the ultimate dispeller: MDJ, is not only not subject to Spellblade, but is liable to break your spellblade weapons, too.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 10:28:07 PM »
Having Cover will protect you from Area spells. a Tower shield or a high ride check and a mount will do.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 10:30:35 PM »
Re: Re: Re: Re: Defending

I've had this argument at least forum times on this forum alone. The text is unclear. "All others" can mean bonuses other then Defending or any other bonus. I don't feel like debating it any more than that.

Actually, it's quite clear. Defending provides an untyped bonus. Untyped bonuses stack with all other untyped bonuses.

The only argument that could be made is that all of your defending items count as being the same source, which is the same argument used for orange ioun stones not stacking.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Ramaloke

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 10:33:45 PM »
Well, Spellblades are less awesome than you think.

The wielder is immune to targetted dispel magic, the item is not.

Enter Greater Dispel Magic + Metamagic Rod of Chain Spell = All of your spellblades stop working and the last dispel hits you in the face.
Favorite Songs
Passing Afternoon Like A Stone Wish You Where Here
~\-----------------/~

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 10:38:15 PM »
Well, Spellblades are less awesome than you think.

The wielder is immune to targetted dispel magic, the item is not.

Enter Greater Dispel Magic + Metamagic Rod of Chain Spell = All of your spellblades stop working and the last dispel hits you in the face.
...or just use Chain Dispelling, which is level 8 and has an upper cap of +25 to your dispel check from CL (instead of +20 for GDM), and more-or-less exactly the same otherwise.

Ramaloke

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 10:40:49 PM »
Or that.

Point being, there really isn't a huge reason to snag a bunch of them for anti-dispelling. Spell blades are better for things like Ennervation, Finger of Death and that sort of stuff. Single Target Save or Sucks that cant hurt your gear.

-edit-

And once my Abjurer hits 15 I'll be snagging Chain Dispel, its going to be great :D. We're using tome so I can counterspell as an immediate action and my Greater Dispel Magic's Dispel Check is 46.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:44:08 PM by Ramaloke »
Favorite Songs
Passing Afternoon Like A Stone Wish You Where Here
~\-----------------/~