Author Topic: Scribing spells into spell books.  (Read 7266 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Scribing spells into spell books.
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 03:01:08 AM »
There's a decent argument to be made that each time you pick arcane focus you decide which spellbook to be considered yours.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

westb3

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 03:14:30 AM »
"my spell book" should be a spell book you have scribed, not one just on your person.

If it is not in your unique version of the code then it really can't be "yours".

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 04:49:00 AM »
The issue is this is all getting done for a Chameleon and we have 7 days of downtime at the moment.  He is also the skill monkey for EVERYTHING which ontop of the Chameleon itself means that his skills are spread beyond thin.  Spellcraft is only at 4 Ranks with +3 from IntMod.  The books in question also all contain level 6+ spells.
Well I'm sorry we weren't looking for zebras.

That is not explicit at all, the way the SRD reads it would be that ANY prepared arcane caster (that uses a spellbook) still has to have the individual spell recorded in their own version.  I *do* have ALL arcane class spell lists which means that basically everything is ON some list that I can then access it by, as well as getting them at lowest level possible, I still have to worry about it being in my version of the language.  This means I still have to worry about actually getting copies

At this point the DM is using what seems to be the RAI of you can use any copy of the spell with the normal spellcraft DC, not just ones you have copied).  So now it is not so much of an issue I can buy spellbook copies of spells loose leaf to put into any spellbook then just make a Spellcraft roll I can't fail.
If your DM is going by this, then why are you continuing to talk about the RAW in this thread?  You have your answer: borrow/steal a spellbook and prepare spells from it.  With Arcane Focus, your Spellcraft check is at +9, so you can take 10 to prepare any spell from any book level 4 or lower.  Since you *only* have 4 ranks in Spellcraft, I assume you're not a very high-level Chameleon, so for now that should be perfectly adequate.

On the other hand, if you want a RAW answer to the question, then switch to Divine Focus and plane shift to a plane with dramatically accelerated time flow.  You can easily get months to master spellbooks for each day of downtime you have.

westb3

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 06:04:06 AM »
Can't planeshift and separately all time places have the same time flow. 

To specifically address your point I was hoping for something that would not be EITHER of the two mentioned at the START of the thread.  One that could be done in a matter of a week or purchased and used or in some other way not something I already explicitly addressed as not meeting my desires.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 03:50:28 PM »
Can't planeshift and separately all time places have the same time flow. 

To specifically address your point I was hoping for something that would not be EITHER of the two mentioned at the START of the thread.  One that could be done in a matter of a week or purchased and used or in some other way not something I already explicitly addressed as not meeting my desires.
Plane Shift is a Cleric 5 spell, so if you can't cast it then you must only be able to cast level 4 or lower spells, which means that your given Spellcraft skill is more than enough to deal with this without having to copy spells at all.  Also, unless there's a houserule or homebrew setting, there are several planes with fast-flowing time.

...and to specifically address your point, your options are limited.  RAW there aren't any other methods of speeding up the process of learning new spells for a Wizard, so if you don't have the time required then just make-do with using the Spellcraft checks and lugging around a "library."  In all seriousness, if you have any kind of extradimensional storage then having multiple spellbooks is a non-issue.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 04:23:32 PM »
Ancestral relic might work, debatably.

You could also just pick up a Tome of Ancient Lore and forget about the whole "collecting spells" thing.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.