Author Topic: Statting the Predator?  (Read 7504 times)

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Re: Statting the Predator?
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 09:02:13 PM »
"Magic" Item ... Bag of (Evil) Tricks

(cue scary music)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 10:41:54 PM »
TOB definitely would help with the skills.  maybe some tiger claw maneuvers for jump synergy. 
Swordsage would be handy for Tiger Claw and Shadow Hand.  I'm not saying it's a perfect fit, but you could mix levels of that in with other stuff to get what you want.  Warblade, Fighter, Barbarian, Ranger, Rogue, and Psychic Warrior all have bits and pieces that would fit nicely.

You could probably start to realize the build as early as level 3 with a straight Swordsage, but you'd be more of a skirmisher type than full out melee.  That somewhat fits the hunting aspect of the character anyway.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 10:47:55 PM »
There's some ranged touch attack maneuvers that could qualify as the laser rifle, though the swordsage recovery mechanic is going to hurt this.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Rymosrac

• Curious George
  • You were expecting?
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 08:31:45 PM »
Lift the energy property off of Hank's bow (or use the force property from MiC if your DM doesn't want to let you do that) and apply it to a Maug stone spitter graft from the Fiend Folio. You now have the plasma caster.

For the laser sight / rangefinder - get your mask made with an at-will item of Hunter's Mercy. Though that one is also dependent on allowing hunter's mercy to work with things besides bows - which shouldn't be too hard given that bows are already at the head of the pack of ranged weapons. (outside of multi-crossbow lightning mace builds)
Shh. My common sense is tingling. . .

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 10:00:48 PM »
There's some ranged touch attack maneuvers that could qualify as the laser rifle, though the swordsage recovery mechanic is going to hurt this.
Wand of Scorching Ray and UMD?
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Rymosrac

• Curious George
  • You were expecting?
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 10:36:52 PM »
<obnoxious predator nerd>
It's a plasma caster, not a laser rifle.
</obnoxious predator nerd>

Thinking TWF would work well for mot of the pred's weapons. Twin wristblades, combistick is a two-headed weapon, TWF for mixing plasma casters with shuriken or discs.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2010, 01:51:37 AM »
Lift the energy property off of Hank's bow (or use the force property from MiC if your DM doesn't want to let you do that) and apply it to a Maug stone spitter graft from the Fiend Folio. You now have the plasma caster.
Etherblade?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Rymosrac

• Curious George
  • You were expecting?
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010, 02:00:59 AM »
Maybe - but doesn't have as readily available a source of damage as hanks bow. Or of ammunition.

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 02:02:02 AM »
ok.. update, im also looking for a way to get one of those awesome predator dogs from the movie too.. im thinking about getting it via the wild cohort feat, if it can be approximated by some type of animal. any ideas on what kinda critter he would be?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

its basically a really big dog-ish creature with huge spines all over it.  presumably with scent ability too.

Rymosrac

• Curious George
  • You were expecting?
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 02:10:25 AM »
Just slap the horrid template on a dire wolf and reflavor it a bit.

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2010, 02:40:47 AM »
i didnt think animal companions could be templated??

EDIT: wow.. just read horrid.. its perfect.. AND it can be used for companions!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 02:45:43 AM by sir_argenon »

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2010, 02:46:40 AM »
Minimum levels for animal companions (as explained in DMG) are determined by CR, flight and maybe one other thing. So as long as it's still an animal and has a known CR, if the DM is okay with the creature being in the campaign setting to begin with, they're probably okay with letting you have it as a pet at an appropriate level.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Nyarlathop1

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2010, 03:09:03 AM »
Astral Stalker from the MM3 is a fairly blatant predator homage in flavor. Sadly its stats are only sort of there, it has claws in place of the blades and camouflage to add to its hide, but other than that has little actual rules for the stuff the predator does in the movies.

kadeity

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 10:05:38 AM »
this build im working on would do nicely for this:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10025.0

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2010, 01:12:33 PM »
ok...im actually looking at a tentative build... dont laugh...

soulknife 7/ soulbow 3.....

soulknife will be houseruled to have good BAB, and will be using the minds eye alt for the feats instead of psychic strike. and also will have hidden talent to get some pp's and powers... most likely will be entangling ectoplasm, and chameleon.

he could take the apprentice feat (woodsman) to get survival as a class skill, and the track feat.  that will handle all of his stalking/hunting needs.

the mind blade will do well as predator's arm blade, and the mind arrow can be reflavored to be the plasma caster.

as for race, i was thinking goliath, so i can take a 1 lvl barb dip for pounce, or kalashtar, because they make awesome soulknives, and i can finish the build with atavist 10.  if i do go goliath though, i have no idea what i would finish him up with those last 9 levels.  maybe ghost faced killer?

thoughts?

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2010, 03:55:30 PM »
still working on this.   any advice for equipment? so far, i have:

collar of umbral metamorphosis (ToM) reflavored for his helmet
boots of skate (SRD)
gloves of the balanced hand (MiC)
Mantle of the predator (MiC)
skin of the chameleon (SRD)

Rymosrac

• Curious George
  • You were expecting?
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2010, 05:14:20 PM »
I'd stil say use the maug stone-spitter for the plasmacaster, but that's just me.

Double spear from races of stone with the hideaway property for the combistick.

Hideaway also works for wristblades.

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010, 06:49:14 PM »
I'd stil say use the maug stone-spitter for the plasmacaster, but that's just me.

Double spear from races of stone with the hideaway property for the combistick.

Hideaway also works for wristblades.

nice call on hideaway, but a hideaway, on what weapon? and how do i mount it to my wrist?

im reading the maug graft.. seems like it would be hard as hell to find someone to give it to me.. PLUS.. it says that maug grafts are "construct grafts" does that mean only constructs can have them?

Rymosrac

• Curious George
  • You were expecting?
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2010, 08:01:27 PM »
No more than undead grafts can only be put on undead, or fiendish grafts on fiends. And anyone with the graft flesh feat from that book should be able to craft them.

Only problem is that they don't mesh especially well with your psiblade build, which already has it's own weapons.