Author Topic: Help me build a Warlock with style  (Read 8608 times)

BearWithMe

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Help me build a Warlock with style
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 02:33:44 PM »

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 02:54:57 PM »
You could sink all those "+1 arcane baseclass" from Anima Mage into Warlock, but if you want Eldritch Theurg jameswilliamogle's build caps at
Binder 8(B 1 + AM 7/7)/ Warlock 15(WL 1 + AM 4/7 + ET 10/10)/ Sorc 13(S 1 + AM 3/7 + ET 9/10)

More Warlock levels are hard to come by, if you want to grab useful classfeatures elsewhere(without getting too cheesy).
Binder is the obvious multiclassing choice for a CHA-focused Warlock, just like Rogue is for a Dex-focused one.

The Bard, ninjarabbit suggested a few posts above, would get more skillpoints and also has some nice tricks up his sleeve.

Most Warlock: Warlock 20
Boring, but is more useful than your Fighter and may outdamage the Ranger(assuming he doesn't hit with every arrow in a full attack or uses Scout+Swift Hunter Feat to get Skirmish).

Beyond that, you should just tell us what you want.
A Wilder could set up a (slow) PP-recharge with Magic of Incarnum, still CHA-based and depending on chosen powers/PrC better/worse or tied with the Warlock for roleplaying aspect.

BearWithMe

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 05:44:05 PM »
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 06:57:33 PM by BearWithMe »

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 07:20:05 PM »
Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to cast your Invocations in bear form, they all require Somatic components which require working hands, and natural spell won't work for non druid spells, as far as I am aware. 24 hour duration ones would be fine though.

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 07:26:15 PM »
I've thought about it and you could do the opposite of my Grave Digger concept with minor changes to the powers. Malphus allows you to substitue a dove for the raven and the summon swarm could be used to summon sparrows instead of the crows so you could end up with an overly cute character killing badguys with small woodland creatures ( rats=squirells, spiders=lady bugs or other harmless insect, bats=robins,cardinals,etc. . .) Then take the invocation that gives you speak with animals instead of the Eldritch glaive so you can talk to your woodland creature friends.

spiral_rider_h

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 12:09:31 AM »
Hellfire Ur-Lock
Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldritch Disciple 2/ Hellfire Warlock 3/ Eldritch Disciple 8

If you can be evil, this will own house. DMM Persist Divine Power+Eldritch Glaive+Hellfire Blast+Naberius= Power incarnate.

I realllly wanna try this build some day.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 12:48:03 AM »
Another PrC I am very interested in is "Sentinel of Bharrai".

It's a very strong PrC and an excellent add-on for warlocks. Going that route, also consider the Eldeen Ranger (Greensinger) which will add Cha to your saves.  On the evil side of things, there's the Demonbinder (Drow of the Underdark) that gives you demon forms.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

ShneekeyTheLost

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010, 01:12:38 AM »
If you are wanting a floating feat, I would highly suggest a two-level dip in Chameleon. You get to choose which feat it is every day. So one day, it's Extra Invocation (vitriolic blast). The next day, you're gonna be running into a Red Dragon, so it's Extra Invocation (Hellrime Blast). The next couple of weeks you have free, and you've got some spare cash and xp lying around (and at least Warlock 12), so today it's going to be Craft Wondrous Item and be the party's MagicMart(tm).

The big thing is that when you want it to be a bonus invocation, you get to change which one it is on a daily basis instead of being stuck with it. But hey, if you need a particular feat for a given reason... you can do that too. It gives you a *LOT* of flexibility, which is something Warlocks can really use.

Also, Nosmiac Chirgeon also lets you cheat into the prerequisite of 'must be able to cast x level spells'.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 01:43:01 AM by ShneekeyTheLost »

Ed-Zero

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 03:25:58 AM »
Is it possible to get 9th level spells and Dark Invocations at or around 20th? I don't think i've seen a build have that.. It'd be awesome

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 03:27:47 AM »
Warlock8/Ur Priest2/Eldritch Theurge 10

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Ed-Zero

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2010, 04:04:41 AM »
:O Thanks Solo, I do appreciate it. I think this would be particularly powerful.

gorfnad

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010, 05:15:35 AM »
:O Thanks Solo, I do appreciate it. I think this would be particularly powerful.
Obviously you missed my build earlier in the thread so I'll post it again.

Hellfire Ur-Lock
Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldritch Disciple 2/ Hellfire Warlock 3/ Eldritch Disciple 8

9th level spells, Dark Invocation, and Hellfire (with the ability to bind Naberius to heal the con damage from Hellfire)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 05:18:56 AM by gorfnad »

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2010, 01:20:30 PM »
My Idea so far is:

Human Binder 1/Warlock 7/Hellfire Warlock 3/Legacy Champion 9
I'm pretty sure you need 12 ranks in Knowledge (the Planes) to qualify for Hellfire Warlock, which means you need nine levels of other stuff leading into it.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2010, 01:27:54 PM »
It is, and at those levels not really too strong (though it would overshadow any other casters).

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2010, 06:02:58 PM »
Warlock x/ Chameleon 2 / Eldritch Thuerge X?

Anyone know if Eldritch Theurge can be used to advance spellcasting in Chameleon, granted you always have to choose Arcane focus? The way I read it that would give you your floating feat for extra invocation or the like, warlock casting as Warlock X + ET X, and an Arcane Caster Level of 24 although limited to 6th level spells.

Apparently Chameleon specifically says it can't be used to qualify for prestige classes or feats. That's too bad.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:07:16 PM by Cagemarrow »

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2010, 08:28:45 PM »
If you are wanting a floating feat, I would highly suggest a two-level dip in Chameleon. You get to choose which feat it is every day. So one day, it's Extra Invocation (vitriolic blast). The next day, you're gonna be running into a Red Dragon, so it's Extra Invocation (Hellrime Blast). The next couple of weeks you have free, and you've got some spare cash and xp lying around (and at least Warlock 12), so today it's going to be Craft Wondrous Item and be the party's MagicMart(tm).

The big thing is that when you want it to be a bonus invocation, you get to change which one it is on a daily basis instead of being stuck with it. But hey, if you need a particular feat for a given reason... you can do that too. It gives you a *LOT* of flexibility, which is something Warlocks can really use.

Also, Nosmiac Chirgeon also lets you cheat into the prerequisite of 'must be able to cast x level spells'.

The other thing with Chameleon is if you are adding it to a build which is already using the Binder + Hellfire combo it works really well from a flavor perspective. Binding Naberius could not be more synergistic than when used in conjunction with those two levels of Chameleon.

ShneekeyTheLost

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2010, 10:39:39 PM »
Warlock x/ Chameleon 2 / Eldritch Thuerge X?

Anyone know if Eldritch Theurge can be used to advance spellcasting in Chameleon, granted you always have to choose Arcane focus? The way I read it that would give you your floating feat for extra invocation or the like, warlock casting as Warlock X + ET X, and an Arcane Caster Level of 24 although limited to 6th level spells.

Apparently Chameleon specifically says it can't be used to qualify for prestige classes or feats. That's too bad.
Yea, chameleons don't actually get spellcasting, so it doesn't qualify. However, if you want to get completely cheap, here's a 'cheat'

Warlock6/Nosmiac Chirgeon1/Eldritch Theurge4/Binder1/Chameleon2/HFW3/Uncanny Trickster3

Here's the sick part, though...

Because of Nosmiac Chirgeon, he casts spells of x spell level.. Warlock is an arcane caster which he had levels in before gaining the PrC. It also qualifies as an invocation-using class. So, double-sided progression FTW! Tossing in Binder for Nab, Chameleon2 for flexability and synergy, and HFW for some extra punch. Casts invocations and has invocation progression of a 20st level Warlock. Uncanny Trickster advances HFW for more damage output and casting, plus gets a few extra tricks.

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2010, 02:48:44 PM »
What book is the nosmiac chirgeon from? I'm not familiar with it.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2010, 04:24:48 PM »
What book is the nosmiac chirgeon from? I'm not familiar with it.
Dragonmarked, it is neat because it lets you spontaneously cast infinite inflict x wounds spells as SLAs.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2010, 06:22:28 PM »
It doesn't let you double progress warlock with Eldritch Theurge though... it just doesn't work that way.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills