Author Topic: Dragon Shaman fix...  (Read 2076 times)

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
Dragon Shaman fix...
« on: November 05, 2010, 11:19:40 PM »
Yeah, another one.

I've been thinking how to make the DS a good class, since I love the concept really.

My thoughts:
Increase total natural armor bonus by 1, making it +4.
- Just a personal preference.

Add more Draconic Auras. There were only 7 when the Shaman was printed, but Dragon Magic gave us more.
- He was supposed to be the Aura Guy (TM) so...

Add Double Aura as a bonus feat at level 12.
- See above statement

Add your CHA bonus to the Aura bonus you provides, but with the limit that your Aura bonus can not exceed your levels in the Dragon Shaman class.
-See above. The aura isn't particularly powerful as it is, and a flat-out adding of CHA to aura would just make the class a 1-level mandatory dip instead.
Now, you actually need to stay in class and it actually is a good idea. This is my biggest personal preference. It would make it so much more attractive.

Add your CON modifier to each die on your breath weapon you get from your levels in Dragon Shaman.
-Pending. The idea I'm most hesitant upon. The DFA has the breath weapon shtick to do on a round-by-round basis, but I'd like to see the shaman have some real use for his breath weapon, instead of it being a novelty. The clarification is important, otherwise it would end up a 1-level dip on any DFA build.

BAB stay the same.
With a better aura bonus, your attack will more often hit, but you won't attack as often as the full BAB classes. That's alright, you'll still be cool.

Increase skills to 4+int.
Because 2+int seems a little too little for someone worshiping dragons. You know. The big magical lizard-thingies with big brains and huge lifespan that like to know stuff? Yeah those.

Earlier wings, with scaling flight.
I know someone here made a DS fix which added this, along with more natural weapons. I see the DS as more of a supporting character and not as much as a totemist, personally.
So, wings at level.... let's say 6?
Any sorcerer can have flight by now and comparing stuff to the Tier 1 classes won't make characters more balanced. Tier 1 aren't to start with. :p
(yes, I know Tier 2 isn't that much better, but anyway).
Average maneuverability and good at 12.
Purely from a personal flavor perspective, I'd like the wings to come with the option of being magically created rather than actual physical appendages, but that's just me.

Boost Draconic Adaptation.
Not sure how yet, only that the Copper Dragon is almost the only one worth taking. I don't mind some totem with Water Breathing, but 4 of them are too much.
Let there be some more variance between them, for Kord's sake.
Also, Red Dragon.
Mightiest of the cromatic dragons.
A +5 to search and appraise?
Really now?
Competence bonus to boot?
If it was Insight, it might somehow, possibly, maybe be good for some multiclassing builds that search for traps. Maybe. Or just to make the party rogue happy at level 13.
But competence?
No.
Oh and level 13? Isn't traps kind of... obsolete by now?
Again, competence?
As in, most common skill bonus ever?
Really?

Other thoughts:
Frightful Presence maybe?

I think the Invocations can stay DFA-only, don't want to encroach on his turf too much.

Any other ideas people might have?

Although perhaps this should have gone in the Homebrew section...
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Re: Dragon Shaman fix...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 11:32:57 PM »
All of the Core Dragons have SLAs/unique abilities. Those might be interesting. Though finding a level balance for the ability might be tricky.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 11:55:46 PM »
Bigger Draconic Aura won't let you hit more often, unless you're assuming somebody will power attack less, unless I'm missing something.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
the other good one is to let the healing aura work all the time.  not just to half HP

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 12:17:56 AM »
All of the Core Dragons have SLAs/unique abilities. Those might be interesting. Though finding a level balance for the ability might be tricky.
I'm for this.  I don't think I've ever seen a PC Dragon Shaman in a game (whether RL or forum) that wasn't a Copper totem.  People love that Spider Climb, but the other abilities are very "mleh".

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 12:49:19 AM »
Here are my suggestions:
Natural armor bonus at level 3, then every 3 levels(total +6 at level 20)
Breath weapon as standard action: but reduced to d4 instead of d6 dice used.
Additional auras at levels, 11,13,15,17,19.
Allow learning a marshal minor aura instead of the draconic aura's.(Use charisma like the marshal for the benefits gained from the auras.)
Allow trading two aura's known for 1 marshal major aura.(Use the draconic aura bonus for benefits gained from the auras.)
At level 2,8,16, you get can get a fighter bonus feat or skill focus.

Aura's changes:
Energy Shield 5x aura bonus, instead of 2x
Toughness: DR 4/Magic x Aura bonus.
Vigor always heals, no pesky 1/2 hp cap.