Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 42097 times)

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2010, 04:16:24 PM »
But that means I have to finish the first one so I can get the whole story.   :shakefist

Do you mind spoilers? Because there isn't much storyline until you get to Robert (actually, the mission you go to kill him has the most plot out of all of the targets).

I actually looked up a lot of the endgame because I was wanting to know if finishing the game is worth it.  That's how I know the game has a really good storyline.   :p

I'll need to finish it myself if I'm going to play the second, I'm one of those people.
Trust me, the second game and Brotherhood are all worth it. The only thing is miss so far in Brotherhood is the ability to gallop in high speed while riding horses. But since you can go through the sewers as a form of teleport it does not really matter all that much.

Hopefully someone will give me a job soon so I can buy the second game then!
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #141 on: January 01, 2011, 02:49:42 AM »
Star Wars Force Unleashed 2: Holy fragging hell, the force can do that?
[spoiler]Why is it the books and games take the Force to an absurd super powered levels?

In the original movies it took a lot of effort to choke someone or pull your saber to you. The most powerful Jedi (yoda) had to stand around concentrating to move an X-wing. In the retarded Trilogy, they gained a super jump and dash ability and the more powerful Sith sided of the force is shown to be able to chuck small hover work desk/chairs at people.

In one of the books after the Empire falls Luke walks on lava (jesus anyone?) and in the same series a protege rips a invincible ship out from a sun. Not to be out done, moments before the 3rd trilogy movie starts the animated cartoon takes place and shows Yoda throwing giant ships at each other with a flick of his hand. So when the first game came out it really wasn't too much of a surprise Starkiller ripped a Star Destroyer from orbit or could wipe out entire armies of stormtroopers in his sleep.

Well, SW:FU2 rightly deserves it's acronym. The new Starkiller, code named Buu due to his ability to get more powerful by becoming less of a person than his was before he lost a fight, starts with every combo from the last game but learns to become even stronger. In fact he now has a super sayien mode where he just stops using his arms to attack anymore. I wish I was joking, he really does turn blue and all of his light saber attacks become saber throws that spin around him god of war style.

FU2 tried to fix some problems with the first game. Some endless pits of death can quick spawn you to the top without having to reload. The ones that do you only fall off while answering your cellphone and the ones that don't are everything else. Another fix is now the game don't have to stop and spend a minute loading the very stats you were just using when you hit pause. It ditched the colored XP system since you start with every combo and trait so you only upgrade force powers and force/hp max. Also it fixes the problem where tapping triangle didn't kill everyone in the room for you and the long delay in being able to spam force push to cave in the skulls of, well everything. The maps seem to explode under the constant use of push which is bad considering with the right saber crystal you gain XP for each and every little thing you break Lego style. I mean, where is the replay value in a 2 hours to beat game when on easy mode, without the crystal, or replaying, you can max out four of your seven force powers. Really just play the last stage again and pick the other ending then max out the rest of your powers.

Rent it, murder stormtroops, then stop spending money on star wars so it will die.

Also, watch this youtube video for proof the Sith ending is the 'real' ending this time. And you thought Starkiller would just leave Vader alive after he was done with the rebals...

[/spoiler]
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #142 on: January 01, 2011, 12:17:57 PM »
Star Wars Force Unleashed 2: Holy fragging hell, the force can do that?
[spoiler]Why is it the books and games take the Force to an absurd super powered levels?

In the original movies it took a lot of effort to choke someone or pull your saber to you. The most powerful Jedi (yoda) had to stand around concentrating to move an X-wing. In the retarded Trilogy, they gained a super jump and dash ability and the more powerful Sith sided of the force is shown to be able to chuck small hover work desk/chairs at people.

In one of the books after the Empire falls Luke walks on lava (jesus anyone?) and in the same series a protege rips a invincible ship out from a sun. Not to be out done, moments before the 3rd trilogy movie starts the animated cartoon takes place and shows Yoda throwing giant ships at each other with a flick of his hand. So when the first game came out it really wasn't too much of a surprise Starkiller ripped a Star Destroyer from orbit or could wipe out entire armies of stormtroopers in his sleep.

Well, SW:FU2 rightly deserves it's acronym. The new Starkiller, code named Buu due to his ability to get more powerful by becoming less of a person than his was before he lost a fight, starts with every combo from the last game but learns to become even stronger. In fact he now has a super sayien mode where he just stops using his arms to attack anymore. I wish I was joking, he really does turn blue and all of his light saber attacks become saber throws that spin around him god of war style.

FU2 tried to fix some problems with the first game. Some endless pits of death can quick spawn you to the top without having to reload. The ones that do you only fall off while answering your cellphone and the ones that don't are everything else. Another fix is now the game don't have to stop and spend a minute loading the very stats you were just using when you hit pause. It ditched the colored XP system since you start with every combo and trait so you only upgrade force powers and force/hp max. Also it fixes the problem where tapping triangle didn't kill everyone in the room for you and the long delay in being able to spam force push to cave in the skulls of, well everything. The maps seem to explode under the constant use of push which is bad considering with the right saber crystal you gain XP for each and every little thing you break Lego style. I mean, where is the replay value in a 2 hours to beat game when on easy mode, without the crystal, or replaying, you can max out four of your seven force powers. Really just play the last stage again and pick the other ending then max out the rest of your powers.

Rent it, murder stormtroops, then stop spending money on star wars so it will die.

Also, watch this youtube video for proof the Sith ending is the 'real' ending this time. And you thought Starkiller would just leave Vader alive after he was done with the rebals...

[/spoiler]

The whole point of FU was always "screw canon, let's go MENTAL!", after all. Frankly, I just like it for killing armies of stormtroopers and because they made black lightsabers canon.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: January 02, 2011, 09:35:04 AM »
Well...hack and slash Star Wars with over the top powers is always welcome.
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2011, 04:37:31 PM »
It is called The Force Unleashed, after all. That said, there is a really big discrepancy between the trilogies (although to be fair, we only saw really really old guys, barely-trained students, and a crippled guy wearing prosthetics using the Force in the original trilogy). Of course, that wouldn't be half as enticing for a video game, so I'm willing to let it slide. Never played the second game, though.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2011, 04:59:20 PM »
It is called The Force Unleashed, after all. That said, there is a really big discrepancy between the trilogies (although to be fair, we only saw really really old guys, barely-trained students, and a crippled guy wearing prosthetics using the Force in the original trilogy). Of course, that wouldn't be half as enticing for a video game, so I'm willing to let it slide. Never played the second game, though.

I suppose it's true.

Well, the second one is much, much shorter than the first (and yeah, that's a feat) and slightly less lenient on "spam Force powers on everything around you until the scenery stops moving".

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #146 on: January 02, 2011, 05:02:13 PM »
Well, the second one is much, much shorter than the first (and yeah, that's a feat) and slightly less lenient on "spam Force powers on everything around you until the scenery stops moving".
I think the Jedi Knight games were a lot better at...well, just about everything. Saber combat, for one, was fast and lethal, whereas any moderately tough enemy in TFU treated a lightsaber as though it were made of foam padding.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
I think the Jedi Knight games were a lot better at...well, just about everything. Saber combat, for one, was fast and lethal, whereas any moderately tough enemy in TFU treated a lightsaber as though it were made of foam padding.

A little TOO fast and lethal for me, really.

Although I will say that Jedi Knight 2 did tons better than Jedi Knight 1. In 1, lightsaber combat was just... clunky.

And really, in TFU2, your lightsaber is only any good against Force-resistant enemies. Which you can kill in a single throw anyway.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #148 on: January 02, 2011, 05:43:57 PM »
A little TOO fast and lethal for me, really.

Although I will say that Jedi Knight 2 did tons better than Jedi Knight 1. In 1, lightsaber combat was just... clunky.

And really, in TFU2, your lightsaber is only any good against Force-resistant enemies. Which you can kill in a single throw anyway.
True, although it helped that all the moves were explained in the datapad. Which was good, because there's at least one jump in the Tier 3 missions that you can't make without using the speed-enhanced jump you've never used before or will use again.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #149 on: January 02, 2011, 08:44:44 PM »
Bah. We all know the best Star Wars game was Droidworks.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2011, 10:14:09 PM »
I only played the demo level. :P

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: January 03, 2011, 12:53:51 AM »

What's that?
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #152 on: January 03, 2011, 01:04:04 AM »

What's that?

Little-known Star Wars game based around building droids. I only played the demo level as well, but I remember it being surprisingly complex.

Then again, if I know about it, considering how I don't think of myself as much of a Star Wars geek, then it's probably not that little-known.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2011, 06:53:22 AM »
aww I love it when non-star wars fans  give thrie thoughts on a star wars game...i'd toss out links but about where the frist games events stand in canon but i doubt anyone cares about it....same with the books and thrie timeline of power creep and how they (mainly Zahn and another writer i do believe) fixed most of it...

Moving from SW.. I went to hastings back on saturday after playing MTG,and had htem put a hold on the collector edit or Cata,so i'll have a new book,music,a mouse pad (what i am supposed to do with a mouse pad when i have a wireless optical mouse ???) and a cute lil deathwing
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:57:46 AM by trappedslider »
All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #154 on: January 03, 2011, 10:39:40 AM »
aww I love it when non-star wars fans  give thrie thoughts on a star wars game...i'd toss out links but about where the frist games events stand in canon but i doubt anyone cares about it....same with the books and thrie timeline of power creep and how they (mainly Zahn and another writer i do believe) fixed most of it...

Moving from SW.. I went to hastings back on saturday after playing MTG,and had htem put a hold on the collector edit or Cata,so i'll have a new book,music,a mouse pad (what i am supposed to do with a mouse pad when i have a wireless optical mouse ???) and a cute lil deathwing

For the record, I DO consider myself a Star Wars fan. I just don't really think of myself as a conoisseur.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: January 03, 2011, 03:47:09 PM »

For the record, I DO consider myself a Star Wars fan. I just don't really think of myself as a conoisseur.
I wasn't refering to you,even I hadn't heard of doridworks ,lol
All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #156 on: January 03, 2011, 04:08:13 PM »

I wasn't refering to you,even I hadn't heard of doridworks ,lol

Indeed, but I was still agreeing with the general sentiment that TFU has lots of power creep.  :p

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: January 03, 2011, 09:50:39 PM »
Batman: Arkham Asylum is getting a sequal

Official website with trailer can be found here.  Doesn't give much, but it looks cool.
Notes to self

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: January 04, 2011, 01:40:07 AM »

Official website with trailer can be found here.  Doesn't give much, but it looks cool.

and Mark Hamil has confrimed that it will be the last time he voices the Joker :(

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: January 04, 2011, 01:49:07 AM »

and Mark Hamil has confrimed that it will be the last time he voices the Joker :(

I saw that when I wiki'd it.  It made me sad too.  :(
Notes to self