Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 42253 times)

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2010, 11:23:41 PM »
Currently debating the merits of snagging Dragon Age Origins and Awakening on Steam for less than Awakening would normally cost. On the positive side, this is a very nice deal, since I've never played the latter, don't have my disc for the former, and this would net me all the DLC too. On the other hand, money.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #121 on: December 25, 2010, 11:29:13 PM »
DA is a good game, but it s let down by a rushed completion. You can actually feel it in game. It is all good and snappy until the climax of the game, and then things are all half-complete, with lousy dialogue and just bad all round. A lot like NWN2. I don't know about Awakening, though. I didn't get it because I was so disappointed with DA's last 15-20%.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: December 25, 2010, 11:30:25 PM »
Where do you intend to go with it?

Basically, this is supposed to be the guy that blasts, and also hit stuff with his pointy stick...

The game gives quite a lot of bang for your buck magic-wise - magic-specialized characters have a relatively easy time dealing with a LOT of stuff. If/when you get the Talisman of Beasts, you can sub Faith for Magic and semi-specialize on that stat, almost by itself. If you haven't killed the Dragon God yet (sounds like you haven't), you should grab as many Stone of Ephemeral Eyes as possible and suicide about 7-8 times at the Armor Spider Archstone. This will drive your World Tendency to Pure Black, so you can kill Black Phantom Scirvir for the Talisman (which lets you use both magic AND miracles, and uses the average of your Faith+magic stat to determine damage) and the Primeval Demon for a Colorless Demon's Soul (which you'll need to upgrade some equipment later).

Doesn't PBWT makes the monsters hit (even) harder than normal?

Since I'm with a female char and White Tendency on 1-1, do you think acceptable to try and get a PWWT on 1-1, kill the Executioner (for the armor set she drops) and loot the dragon's lair before going for a PBWT?

Overall though, your Soul Level seems pretty low. I suggest you grab a Morningstar on 5-1 (Fifth Archstone, first world) and go smash some skellies at 4-1. You can also grab a Crescent Falchion +1 there, which will give you bonus damage based on your magic stat AND regenerate your mana while you're at it.

This was the lastest thing I tried, but those skeletons hurt a lot...

Any good place to grind a bit? I was using that Red Eyed Knight on 1-1 as my main grinding method...

Consider grabbing a spear as a backup weapon. You can poke enemies from behind a shield with it. It's a very effective tactic against most enemies save for the bigger ones.

I was thinking that, except I still don't have the required strength to wield it one handed <_<

Even when I have the Crescent Falchion and the Moon Uchigatana, should I keep the spear around?

Currently debating the merits of snagging Dragon Age Origins and Awakening on Steam for less than Awakening would normally cost. On the positive side, this is a very nice deal, since I've never played the latter, don't have my disc for the former, and this would net me all the DLC too. On the other hand, money.

I say go for it. Make some effort, and get it. The few times I played Dragon Age, it an was awesome experience...

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #123 on: December 25, 2010, 11:30:43 PM »
Yeah, I've played the first one to completion a few times. It might be worth a shot, especially since it would eliminate the need to have the disc around if I want to play it in future.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #124 on: December 26, 2010, 03:27:03 PM »
Is Lord of Shadows on PC?

Not sure. But it's on the Xbox360, so it's bound to arrive on the PC eventually.

Where do you intend to go with it?

Basically, this is supposed to be the guy that blasts, and also hit stuff with his pointy stick...

The game gives quite a lot of bang for your buck magic-wise - magic-specialized characters have a relatively easy time dealing with a LOT of stuff. If/when you get the Talisman of Beasts, you can sub Faith for Magic and semi-specialize on that stat, almost by itself. If you haven't killed the Dragon God yet (sounds like you haven't), you should grab as many Stone of Ephemeral Eyes as possible and suicide about 7-8 times at the Armor Spider Archstone. This will drive your World Tendency to Pure Black, so you can kill Black Phantom Scirvir for the Talisman (which lets you use both magic AND miracles, and uses the average of your Faith+magic stat to determine damage) and the Primeval Demon for a Colorless Demon's Soul (which you'll need to upgrade some equipment later).

Doesn't PBWT makes the monsters hit (even) harder than normal?

Since I'm with a female char and White Tendency on 1-1, do you think acceptable to try and get a PWWT on 1-1, kill the Executioner (for the armor set she drops) and loot the dragon's lair before going for a PBWT?

Overall though, your Soul Level seems pretty low. I suggest you grab a Morningstar on 5-1 (Fifth Archstone, first world) and go smash some skellies at 4-1. You can also grab a Crescent Falchion +1 there, which will give you bonus damage based on your magic stat AND regenerate your mana while you're at it.

This was the lastest thing I tried, but those skeletons hurt a lot...

Any good place to grind a bit? I was using that Red Eyed Knight on 1-1 as my main grinding method...

Consider grabbing a spear as a backup weapon. You can poke enemies from behind a shield with it. It's a very effective tactic against most enemies save for the bigger ones.

I was thinking that, except I still don't have the required strength to wield it one handed <_<

Even when I have the Crescent Falchion and the Moon Uchigatana, should I keep the spear around?

I say go for it. Make some effort, and get it. The few times I played Dragon Age, it an was awesome experience...

If skellies are giving you trouble, Miralda will eat you for breakfast and pick her teeth with your pointy stick. First order of business: grab a  shield with 100% phys block rate, such as the Heater Shield (you can buy one for 2000 souls at the Nexus vendor). Second order of business: learn to approach. Early on skellies will be a major problem if they gang up on you. The best strategy in Demon's Souls is lure and slaughter (hence why it's unusual to see more than two or three enemies in one place at once). Parrying is your friend, though it can be tricky to learn (remember that even a failed parry will still cut part of the damage you receive). Skellies only really use three moves: rolling in then finish with a slash, thrust or overhead slash. The overhead slash takes forever to come out and they're rooted in place when they charge it up (though they still spin around) so you can safely roll/run away from it. The thrust has slightly less charge-up but it has a great advantage for you: if you move FORWARD (that's right, FORWARD) when it's coming out, the skellie will step forward, PAST you, and miss, leaving him open for a backstab. If you're using a morningstar, one backstab plus one heavy attack should make him kick it. You can use pretty much the same strategy with the black phantom dual katana skellie: by moving towards him as you stand a fair bit away, he will jump past you and slice at the air. Killing all skellies up to the archway plus the BP skellie should net you around 2000+ souls.

Remember that you shouldn't neglect Strength and Dex. You'll eventually need to use a bow, no matter how boneheaded you are, because there will be enemies WAY beyond the reach of your magic that you'll want dead. Or enemies that take no damage from magic such as the 4-2 Reapers.

SL matters more in the first playthrough, when your defense still means something. Defense stops going up after a certain SL, and on the second playthrough it's pretty much dressing (as is armor). Focus on grabbing items, because those don't go away when you die, and better items > greater SL, especially later on. I downloaded the Asian Version of the game (the one with the soul exploit glitch) and upped a char to 712; until I grabbed the Meat Cleaver I was dealing relatively low damage.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2010, 02:16:04 PM »
Whacking my way through Arkham Asylum. For a Batman/Joker buff of my caliber, it is a magnificent game.

Handy Links

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #126 on: December 30, 2010, 02:54:04 PM »
Whacking my way through Arkham Asylum. For a Batman/Joker buff of my caliber, it is a magnificent game.

I'm not a Batman/Joker buff, but I have enjoyed it immensely. Heck, it's one of the few latest gen games (barring Demon's Souls) that I've bothered to finish more than once.

Which part are you up to?

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: December 30, 2010, 05:18:55 PM »
I will agree, it is a very well made game.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #128 on: December 30, 2010, 06:55:35 PM »
I will agree, it is a very well made game.

The freeflow battle system is just too damn awesome. And it feels A LOT like Batman fights in the comics.

I was surprised to learn that Eidos had anything to do with it.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: December 30, 2010, 07:30:30 PM »
I still haven't been able to buy/afford Arkham Asylum. Got Assassins Creed: Brotherhood (Codex Edition :D) for Christmas however. I won't be able to play it properly until mid March however  :shakefist . However, the little I've been able to play so far could best be described like this " :love"
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #130 on: December 30, 2010, 10:08:55 PM »
I still haven't been able to buy/afford Arkham Asylum. Got Assassins Creed: Brotherhood (Codex Edition :D) for Christmas however. I won't be able to play it properly until mid March however  :shakefist . However, the little I've been able to play so far could best be described like this " :love"

I haven't played Assassin's Creed at all, so I knew pretty much nothing of what makes Brotherhood so special.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: December 31, 2010, 12:11:05 AM »

I haven't played Assassin's Creed at all, so I knew pretty much nothing of what makes Brotherhood so special.

I played over half of the first one (I think).  Good storyline.  Boring repetitive gameplay.  I know nothing of the others.
Notes to self

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: December 31, 2010, 03:09:45 AM »

I played over half of the first one (I think).  Good storyline.  Boring repetitive gameplay.  I know nothing of the others.

2 fixed most of the "boring and repetitive" parts. Brotherhood improved on that tenfold.

If you didn't like the first one because of the repetitiveness, the second will feel much better.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: December 31, 2010, 03:22:40 AM »

2 fixed most of the "boring and repetitive" parts. Brotherhood improved on that tenfold.

If you didn't like the first one because of the repetitiveness, the second will feel much better.

But that means I have to finish the first one so I can get the whole story.   :shakefist
Notes to self

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: December 31, 2010, 03:26:23 AM »
But that means I have to finish the first one so I can get the whole story.   :shakefist

Do you mind spoilers? Because there isn't much storyline until you get to Robert (actually, the mission you go to kill him has the most plot out of all of the targets).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #135 on: December 31, 2010, 05:20:44 AM »
I've just been playing fable 3,halo reach and modern warfare two. The next game I buy will be cata for WoW
All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: December 31, 2010, 06:30:03 AM »

Do you mind spoilers? Because there isn't much storyline until you get to Robert (actually, the mission you go to kill him has the most plot out of all of the targets).

I actually looked up a lot of the endgame because I was wanting to know if finishing the game is worth it.  That's how I know the game has a really good storyline.   :p

I'll need to finish it myself if I'm going to play the second, I'm one of those people.
Notes to self

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: December 31, 2010, 07:18:32 AM »

I actually looked up a lot of the endgame because I was wanting to know if finishing the game is worth it.  That's how I know the game has a really good storyline.   :p

I'll need to finish it myself if I'm going to play the second, I'm one of those people.
Trust me, the second game and Brotherhood are all worth it. The only thing is miss so far in Brotherhood is the ability to gallop in high speed while riding horses. But since you can go through the sewers as a form of teleport it does not really matter all that much.
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2010, 11:59:36 AM »

I'm not a Batman/Joker buff, but I have enjoyed it immensely. Heck, it's one of the few latest gen games (barring Demon's Souls) that I've bothered to finish more than once.

Going to tackle Poison Ivy right about now. Or, well, when I next bother to open the game, I am sort of lazy in these things.

Handy Links

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #139 on: December 31, 2010, 12:05:54 PM »

Going to tackle Poison Ivy right about now. Or, well, when I next bother to open the game, I am sort of lazy in these things.

Wow, you're pretty close to the endgame then.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]