Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 42085 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2010, 04:39:45 PM »
Maybe my cartridge just hates her.

From my experience her dodge in OG2 indeed isn't that good, but give her dodge-boosting items and she should be fine. Again, keep near Bullet for relationship, make sure she's flying and don't be cheap with focus/alert, and remember pilots with leadership boost everybody's dodge when they're nearby (mothership pilots always have leadership).

But look on the good side! She gets +3 will every time she's hit! Girl's a masochist. No wonder she gets defensive support. :p

Also, how could you think Lamia
[spoiler]
 was a mole after she self-destructs in her former masters?

And of course she isn't dead. You should know that nobody truly dies in a SRW game untill you're near the end. And mechas reduced to dust are also rebuilt as many times as needed untill the final showdown.
[/spoiler]

Haven't gotten that far into the storyline. If it happened in the previous game, I haven't played that one.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2010, 04:47:31 PM »
I think when I start my 3rd run of fable III I'll go with a male character. Still wondering how I'm supposed to save the maxium amount of lives  :banghead
[spoiler]
The amount of money in your Castle Treasury directly corresponds to the number of lives you save. So, put 6.5 million gold into the treasury, you save 6.5 million lives.

In other words, play Real Estate Agent for a while before you enter the endgame.
[/spoiler]

Okay, I did that for a while with my 2nd character but I didn't get that much gold I think I was a million shy
All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2010, 11:50:50 PM »
I just finished Super Robot Wars MX. It is a pretty cool title - made by the same Banpresto sub-team that later created OGs, and it shows. The game has similar feeling, artstyle and mechanics.

This installment was pretty easy though. There was only one scenario that was tough for me (the penultimate one). But then, I am a pretty experienced SRW player. It might be harder for people newer to the series. I am not bragging here - Alpha Gaiden still eats me for breakfast.

The weakest point? Probably the way it treats the shows included. Not that the selection is bad, even Zeorymer and RahXephon (which are terrible and pretty average respectively) are pretty cool as robots in this game. But this simply doesn't give all series justice. Daimos has no plot importance whatsoever to give one example, while Gear Fighter Dendoh has too much (although Dendoh is cool so I do not mind... much). The originals are okay, but nothing special.

On the other hand, it's great to have G Gundam, Evangelion, Dragonar, Machine Robo and I probably missed something cool from the list and will regret not mentioning it, all in one game. And the combat animations are nice and fluid like expected of a SRW title. The scenarios are cool too, and even SRW mainstays felt pretty fresh in this one.

Overall, not the best SRW out there but a good, solid title. If you want to start playing Super Robot Wars, I suggest starting with something else. But if you're a fan of the series and looking to play a PS2 title, I recommend trying it out.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 11:53:42 PM by Cubey »

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2010, 08:47:36 PM »
Guess who got his hands on SRW L!

So far, this game looks really, really good. Nuts to any pre-emptive criticism people might have had. The interface is really easy to work with. Setting up supports and figuring out hit chances on map attacks was never so much fun. Graphics and animations are really cool - not only for new series, even old ones have new animations. And almost every unit has a dynamic kill on its strongest attack.

Surprisingly enough, there are no parts to equip. There are, however, pilot parts that increase the pilots' stats and abilities. I didn't reach so far to use the partner system yet, but my hopes are high. Likewise, dunno about difficulty yet. The first stages were not too difficult, but not a piece of cake - you can lose if you are very careless.

Spoilered plot impressions!
[spoiler]
Mission 1 is Macross Frontier! VF 25s cannot enter Gerwalk mode as a seperate unit, but they use it for attacks like Ozma here presents. The Valkyrie Fighters are VERY good in this game. Lots of defensive abilities (shoot down, sword cut, pinpoint barriers), AND strong attacks.

Also, for some reason Voltes is working along SMS. It has a lot of HP, and its attacks are very damaging. V-Slash has the base of 5200 damage and requires only 45 energy, making it moderately spammable. Ozma's hissatsu is ~4500 base damage, in comparison, while the VFs' missiles are ~3500 and the gunpod is 2500. Just to give an estimate of how spread damage values are in this game.

Second mission brings us Macross Frontier pilots that weren't present in the first one:

Konig Monster! Yes, yes, YES. I've been waiting for this. Kanaria, you are awesome.

Klan's Pixie Squad Attack! That's right, Nene and Lalamia are in this game, and they already had more lines in one interlude than in the whole Frontier series. And Klan herself kicks ass too. Forget jobbing, that was canon. This is better than canon.

The second mission is the one where Luka gets his shotariffic butt eaten by a Vajra capital ship and they have to rescue him. They're running kinda fast through Frontier's plot, aren't they? Frontier folded towards Earth, by the way, which means another series is introduced:

SEED Destiny! I get Shinn and his friends, as well as Minerva. Apparently in this game we play from ZAFT's perspective like in Z, rather than Kira's like in K. Very, very good. We also had a small interlude earlier when the Gundam Jackers... well, jacked the Gundams. But it was not interactive.

Impulse is not as good as the VFs. Its strongest attack deals only 4050 base damage, and the spammable one is at ~3000. Of course, we know Shinn gets an upgrade. The ZAKUs are predictably weaker. Amusingly enough, Lunamaria's beam tomahawk attack reminds me of Getter Q from MX. She throws the axe and then twists it in the damaged robot.

Also, Brera. But shh. We're not supposed to know who he is yet.

After the mission, we have Ranka singing in the Zentradi ghetto mall (I told you, Frontier's plot moves fast here) with the Destiny folk watching, so I guess they joined in with SMS. But I cannot upgrade units now so the plot moves to other people's POV now. What will happen later? It's a mystery.

EDIT: A few extra comments.
No protagonist yet. He'll probably appear in the next mission, along his robotic maid sidekick.
Nagisa from Iczer-1 is hanging around Frontier, for some reason.
Mikhail's sniper rifle attack looks different whether the mission takes place in space or atmosphere. I hope it's the case for others too.[/spoiler]

Edited a little bit.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 08:58:10 PM by Cubey »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2010, 09:04:16 PM »
Wanna start an SRW thread?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2010, 09:46:35 PM »
A thread where you, me and Oslecamo can post? Sure, why not.

Also, predictably, the MC appeared in mission 3. Or rather, the real mission 1 since the two last ones were the prologue. Impressions coming up later.

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2010, 08:13:31 PM »
Finally saved everyone in fable 3, now I'm working on the gnomes and book collection. I also got Lego rock band which is fun stuff.
All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2010, 10:36:16 PM »
That reminds me, my PS3 has an eyepatch now.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2010, 11:17:35 PM »

What?  :twitch

Oh, and you can laugh at me, Kuro: Demon's Souls is kicking my sorry ass for a while now... just managed to pass Phalanx... and Armor Spider is raping beating the crap out of me  :banghead

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2010, 12:18:57 AM »

Oh, and you can laugh at me, Kuro: Demon's Souls is kicking my sorry ass for a while now... just managed to pass Phalanx... and Armor Spider is raping beating the crap out of me  :banghead

Why would I laugh at you? Demon's Souls has a steep, merciless learning curve. And if you think it looks bad, wait until you get to New Game +...

I'm willing to bet you're playing a melee character. Armor Spider will rape you and spit out your egg-impregnated body if you try to beat it up close.

In fact, with the notable exceptions of Adjucator and Astraea, most bosses in that game hate meleers.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2010, 07:49:40 AM »

Why would I laugh at you? Demon's Souls has a steep, merciless learning curve. And if you think it looks bad, wait until you get to New Game +...

I'm willing to bet you're playing a melee character. Armor Spider will rape you and spit out your egg-impregnated body if you try to beat it up close.

In fact, with the notable exceptions of Adjucator and Astraea, most bosses in that game hate meleers.

Well... I am trying (read: failing) to build a gish... already got some spells, but that freaking web hits me once and its over before I blink again  :banghead

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2010, 09:21:04 AM »
If you've got the Thief's Ring (you can get it by jumping off a railing to where Ostrava is until you kill the enemies waiting for him) Armor Spider won't attack at all until you attack it. What are your current stats?

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2010, 11:03:45 PM »
Forgive me Fallout fans.

Fallout New Vegas is my first experience with Fallout, and I guess that my RPG Perfectionism without the necessary stamina and endurance is making character rerolls (and hence starting all over again) a real pain in the ass, hindering my ability to enjoy and carry on playing the game.

And sometimes, I seem to just fail quests without knowing what the fuck happened. Plus having to access the Pip Boy console to handle all my inventory and shit is plain fucking annoying, then again when you're playing an RPG in FPS mode, the Q = Quest, I = Inventory and M = Map sorta shortcut keys would not exist.

I dunno, I blow off steam from New Vegas frustration by kicking ass in Darksiders.
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2010, 11:19:08 PM »
Forgive me Fallout fans.

Fallout New Vegas is my first experience with Fallout, and I guess that my RPG Perfectionism without the necessary stamina and endurance is making character rerolls (and hence starting all over again) a real pain in the ass, hindering my ability to enjoy and carry on playing the game.

And sometimes, I seem to just fail quests without knowing what the fuck happened. Plus having to access the Pip Boy console to handle all my inventory and shit is plain fucking annoying, then again when you're playing an RPG in FPS mode, the Q = Quest, I = Inventory and M = Map sorta shortcut keys would not exist.

I dunno, I blow off steam from New Vegas frustration by kicking ass in Darksiders.

I don't blame you. Fallout requires some planning ahead if you want to get anywhere - much harder than simply wandering around, though that's part of the fun. The game is also riddled with bugs. Most of the time, quests failed refer to the death of an important NPC to said quest.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2010, 01:40:53 AM »
Forgive me Fallout fans.

FNV is pretty buggy, that might be the cause of failed quests. Otherwise, killing crucial NPCs, doing a quest at odds with another quest, siding with a certain faction, and a bunch of other stuff causes you to fail quests--there are even dummy quests that start and instantly fail if you kill someone important.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2010, 02:03:00 AM »
Been playing Hokuto Musou.

SO MUCH WIN.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2010, 04:42:43 AM »
Having handed the most recent Fallout game to Obsidian, Bethesda's been working on a little something else.

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2010, 04:36:52 PM »
Watched some of the trailers from Portal 2 today, I think I'm in love
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2010, 05:54:57 PM »
Having handed the most recent Fallout game to Obsidian, Bethesda's been working on a little something else.

Oh, we're going to Skyrim this time? All righty then...
Watched some of the trailers from Portal 2 today, I think I'm in love

No shit.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2010, 05:58:47 PM »
No shit.
You took the restrooms out of the Enrichment Centre? GlaDOS, you fiend! :shakefist
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]