Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 42114 times)

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2010, 11:32:21 AM »
By the by, now that my computer can handle such games, I've been playing Dragon Age: Origins. Very fun, but is there a single point in the game where you don't run into Black and Grey Morality and Crapsack World moments? Seriously, every so often it makes me feel depressed!
There are a few towards the end, but since I play some kind of evil character in those kind of games about 90% of the time I usually enjoy being able to bring pain and hurt to people in every situation, I make it my duty to see all those people in a slightly deeper pile of shit...

I am a little more disappointed that...

[spoiler]...you cannot have lesbian romance with Morrigan.[/spoiler]
You have no idea how hard I tried before I came to that conclusion.
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2010, 11:45:25 AM »
By the by, now that my computer can handle such games, I've been playing Dragon Age: Origins. Very fun, but is there a single point in the game where you don't run into Black and Grey Morality and Crapsack World moments? Seriously, every so often it makes me feel depressed!
There are a few towards the end, but since I play some kind of evil character in those kind of games about 90% of the time I usually enjoy being able to bring pain and hurt to people in every situation, I make it my duty to see all those people in a slightly deeper pile of shit...

I feel your pain.

[spoiler]Seriously, you'd think at least ONE of them would be romanceable as a female character, and out of all of them, that'd be Morrigan. I still like her the best out of the characters though.

But all things considered, if I'm gonna have to end with a dick, I'd rather choose Sten. Alistair is too stupid.[/spoiler]
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 12:02:11 PM »

I feel your pain.

[spoiler]Seriously, you'd think at least ONE of them would be romanceable as a female character, and out of all of them, that'd be Morrigan. I still like her the best out of the characters though.

But all things considered, if I'm gonna have to end with a dick, I'd rather choose Sten. Alistair is too stupid.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]I ended up having my psychotic elf mage make out with Leliana just for good measure when I realized it. Have you managed to gather all the factions at least once you will know what I did to Alistair[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 12:37:59 PM »

I feel your pain.

[spoiler]I ended up having my psychotic elf mage make out with Leliana just for good measure when I realized it. Have you managed to gather all the factions at least once you will know what I did to Alistair[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Is your psycho elf mage female? Cuz if so, Leliana seems like a good alternative. (As opposed to... Wynne, I guess.)

So far I've got the Circle of Magi and the elves. I figured I'd tackle the pansies first before I went after the hardcore people.[/spoiler]

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 03:14:11 PM »

I feel your pain.

[spoiler]I ended up having my psychotic elf mage make out with Leliana just for good measure when I realized it. Have you managed to gather all the factions at least once you will know wh :Dat I did to Alistair[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Is your psycho elf mage female? Cuz if so, Leliana seems like a good alternative. (As opposed to... Wynne, I guess.)

So far I've got the Circle of Magi and the elves. I figured I'd tackle the pansies first before I went after the hardcore people.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]
She is, and Leliana made a decent runner-up. And I've never managed to get through the Tower of Magi without killing Wynne, so no girl on old-lady there  :D[/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2010, 03:21:45 AM »
Err guys...

[spoiler]You can't romance Wynne...

She is one of the strongest, if not THE strongest mage you can get (even over your own mage character), though, so losing her is nasty.[/spoiler]

Monotrem, let me guess:
[spoiler]You turned him into a drunk loser and let the bitch queen take over?[/spoiler]

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2010, 11:25:04 AM »
Monotrem, let me guess:
[spoiler]You turned him into a drunk loser and let the bitch queen take over?[/spoiler]
[spoiler]
That's for weaklings, I decapitated him and let the bitch queen take over, just because I wanted to turn Logain into my unwilling henchman. Revenge is a dish best served with the blood of your former allies. Can you actually turn him into a drunk?

Also, I might just try to keep Wynne alive next time...[/spoiler]

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2010, 12:04:09 PM »
Been playing fable III, I've enjoyed it I plan to do a third playthrough later on. The new interface does take some getting used to, but I do love some of the new clothes,otoh I do miss some of the hair styles from fable 2.
All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2010, 12:36:32 PM »
Monotrem, let me guess:
[spoiler]
That's for weaklings, I decapitated him and let the bitch queen take over, just because I wanted to turn Logain into my unwilling henchman. Revenge is a dish best served with the blood of your former allies. Can you actually turn him into a drunk?

[spoiler]I wonder how much fun you'd have playing a vile character.[/spoiler]

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2010, 12:58:50 PM »
Monotrem, let me guess:
[spoiler]

[spoiler]I wonder how much fun you'd have playing a vile character.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]To answer your question I've hired a musician. Mr. Voltaire, if you may http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujzp9ffPwPM.

The rule of thumb when playing RP is usually "It's good to be bad", more evil = more fun you might say  :D[/spoiler]

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2010, 03:37:42 PM »
And just like the anime/manga this topic will now be for sole dicussion of one thing :p
All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2010, 03:39:14 PM »
And just like the anime/manga this topic will now be for sole dicussion of one thing :p
Which is, ironically, a videogame?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2010, 03:45:51 PM »

lol I just meant this thread will be dominated by one video game similar to how the anime thread is dominated by one show.

Anyway outside of WoW the only other pc game I've been playing has been Defcon the fun nukem all game. I love the mods that the community has put together for it and I love the creepy soundtrack.

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2010, 04:14:36 PM »
I recently finished a speedrun of Spelunky. 6 minutes 50 seconds - that's nowhere near close what people do on youtube, but hey. Still 4 times faster than a usual playthrough. If you manage not to die on the way to the boss, that is.

I am looking forward to SRW L. Just a few days more and it will be mine. Ahaha!

See, this is not all about one vidja game anymore.

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2010, 04:35:19 PM »
I recently finished a speedrun of Spelunky. 6 minutes 50 seconds - that's nowhere near close what people do on youtube, but hey. Still 4 times faster than a usual playthrough. If you manage not to die on the way to the boss, that is.

what's SRW L and what will it be running on?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2010, 05:04:28 PM »

what's SRW L and what will it be running on?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U91FX5YNfIM
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 05:07:13 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2010, 05:34:03 PM »
SRW is short for Super Robot Wars - a series of turn-based strategy games. Their plot premise is pretty simple: you take several anime series with giant robots, and mix their plots and settings into one thing. Add in original characters, units and concepts to hold everything together like glue.

The results are much, much better than what you'd expect. The titles are extremely enjoyable and offer a decent tactical challenge, too. Well, some of the games are really easy, but you can play them with an aim of unlocking secrets or something. And others are pretty damn hard, too.

One thing though: the series is almost exlusively in Japanese. There is a fan patch for one title, and two others were released in English. Other than that, it's pure Moonspeak.

But it does not matter for me.

Now, to L - it's the newest installment, obviously. Some people are really critical of it, but I am not them. I am almost certainly sure I will like this, just as I liked the previous title, SRW K (which also has its own share of criticism which I mostly do not agree with). It's for the DS. Prime32 linked a preview with attack animations, so you know more or less how the game looks like already.

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2010, 07:20:53 PM »
Sounds like something fun if you're into all that,but it doesn't sound like my thing.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2010, 07:26:03 PM »

Touhou counts as both, right?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2010, 08:26:54 PM »
Oh, trust me. It is really fun. But you have to be into anime (or to be more precise, giant robot anime) or at least do not mind it, to be able to appreciate the series. So it happens.

Also, I think I'll just start linking Jew Wario to explain what SRW is, instead of saying anything of my own. He did a great job in his review/mini-tutorial thing. If you have 10 minutes of free time, definitely worth a watch.