Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 42115 times)

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 09:35:52 PM »
An interesting point, my flat now welcomes everyone with the sounds of Call of Duty's new Black Ops thingee. Got it 10 minutes after they started selling it here, was waiting for that with my flatmate. Awesome.

Handy Links

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 09:17:50 AM »
SiFir, I can't recommend a stick for you cuz I play on a pad.

Dammit Gendou, what use are you!?!
Edit: Oh, right. Mind rape. Remind me to call you when someone needs that.

[/Kidding]

I'll ask the guys at Dustloop.

If you need a stick to be awesome, then you are NOTHING!
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 09:28:54 AM »
Not sure where else to put this, but I've been playing the old PS2 game Way of the Samurai 2 lately.  I like the mobile fights, and the needing only a sword (tengu mask optional) to fight effectively, as long as you're really skilled with it.  I've been wondering, and maybe someone familiar with both the video game and the book can help me, how close can you get to that kind of combat with a Tome of Battle character?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 09:36:17 AM »
Not sure where else to put this, but I've been playing the old PS2 game Way of the Samurai 2 lately.  I like the mobile fights, and the needing only a sword (tengu mask optional) to fight effectively, as long as you're really skilled with it.  I've been wondering, and maybe someone familiar with both the video game and the book can help me, how close can you get to that kind of combat with a Tome of Battle character?

Not very, I'm afraid. D&D isn't built for semi-realistic combat. ToB is more appropriate for things like Wuxia. Being all dodge this, parry that, counter that would work best with a system that has parrying built in. Though you COULD potentially pull it off with feats such as Karmic Strike, Sidestep etc..

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 11:59:50 PM »
Just finished Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2.

Its a marked improvement from the first game. The fighting is cool, the powers are pretty nice. Everything looks pretty. Its just..a little short for a hack and slasher.
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 12:51:10 AM »

Its a marked improvement from the first game. The fighting is cool, the powers are pretty nice. Everything looks pretty. Its just..a little short for a hack and slasher.

So was the first game. By the way, is your Lightsaber still by and large a fashion accessory? I couldn't find a good use for it short of Force Throw.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 04:31:26 AM »

So was the first game. By the way, is your Lightsaber still by and large a fashion accessory? I couldn't find a good use for it short of Force Throw.

For foes that are resistant to throws, pushes or other Force powers, cutting them down is the only way to go. And no you'll want to use your saber most of the time still. The styles are pretty cool.
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010, 10:20:35 AM »

For foes that are resistant to throws, pushes or other Force powers, cutting them down is the only way to go. And no you'll want to use your saber most of the time still. The styles are pretty cool.

Yeah, in the first game I saw little to no reason for using the lightsaber. The combos were repetitive and the powers were much cooler. Nothing said "Fuck you" to a bunch of enemies like sending them flying and shattering them against the walls.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 11:24:28 AM »

Yeah, in the first game I saw little to no reason for using the lightsaber. The combos were repetitive and the powers were much cooler. Nothing said "Fuck you" to a bunch of enemies like sending them flying and shattering them against the walls.

Lightsaber crystals aren't just color templates now. You can choose different crystals (that you collect via holocrons) and pair up combinations (main saber and secondary saber) for different effects.

And dismemberment is active in this game. Stormtroopers and humanoid enemies can lose body parts, or disintegrate (if using the black crystal), set on fire (if using the fiery orange), etc etc.

Quite a lot of combos I might add, though you usually tend to just mash the attack button and use the lightning button to stun foes that keep blocking your swings.

The only annoying enemies are the machine-based ones, or the mechas if you prefer to call it. There's really no very safe way of fighting them without them just standing there and kicking you and stuff. On an Unleashed setting, getting hit a few times would kill you.

And the flaw with blocking still remains. There's simply no way to even keep yourself perfectly safe against a barrage of lasers in a singular direction, much less hope to even have enough deflections worth a damn.

Also despite having Force Lightning maxxed out, you simply cannot clear a room of troopers. More troopers than the maximum amount of bolts you can spare (IIRC 5). You can spam Push pretty quickly, better choice for making a room come alive with bouncing troopers.

The Force Rage ability is pretty damn bloody sweet. Can't really describe it, but every ability gets a major boost, including your typical lightsaber strikes, which erm, is more like using close range saber throws than actual holding and swinging.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:27:11 AM by Nick »
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 12:10:02 PM »

Lightsaber crystals aren't just color templates now. You can choose different crystals (that you collect via holocrons) and pair up combinations (main saber and secondary saber) for different effects.

And dismemberment is active in this game. Stormtroopers and humanoid enemies can lose body parts, or disintegrate (if using the black crystal), set on fire (if using the fiery orange), etc etc.

Quite a lot of combos I might add, though you usually tend to just mash the attack button and use the lightning button to stun foes that keep blocking your swings.

The only annoying enemies are the machine-based ones, or the mechas if you prefer to call it. There's really no very safe way of fighting them without them just standing there and kicking you and stuff. On an Unleashed setting, getting hit a few times would kill you.

And the flaw with blocking still remains. There's simply no way to even keep yourself perfectly safe against a barrage of lasers in a singular direction, much less hope to even have enough deflections worth a damn.

Also despite having Force Lightning maxxed out, you simply cannot clear a room of troopers. More troopers than the maximum amount of bolts you can spare (IIRC 5). You can spam Push pretty quickly, better choice for making a room come alive with bouncing troopers.

The Force Rage ability is pretty damn bloody sweet. Can't really describe it, but every ability gets a major boost, including your typical lightsaber strikes, which erm, is more like using close range saber throws than actual holding and swinging.

Okay, now I want this game. I guess I'll have to wait until it comes out for a console I can actually pirate, cuz I don't have the monies to spare right now.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2010, 10:34:25 PM »

Okay, now I want this game. I guess I'll have to wait until it comes out for a console I can actually pirate, cuz I don't have the monies to spare right now.

Why not get a console and this game for a birthday present?
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010, 10:47:08 PM »

I have the console, but my birthday is not for another 7 months.  :(

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2010, 11:44:43 PM »

I have the console, but my birthday is not for another 7 months.  :(

7 months wait is good. There might be another Ultimate Sith Edition with new campaigns, levels and stuff.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 12:25:57 PM »
I got the game for the PC.  :lmao

Question: anyone know how to configure the joystick? I don't have an XBOX 360 controller and I can't figure out how to use the emulator on it.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2010, 03:12:16 PM »
Got a Wii back at home and I'm thinking about buying Force Unleashed II for it, because it's quite a bit cheaper here. I liked the first one despite the obvious bugs, but the new one seems rather decent. My question here is, do you people consider the Wii version to be a worthwhile investment?

Handy Links

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2010, 09:20:36 AM »
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 09:36:23 AM »
Got a Wii back at home and I'm thinking about buying Force Unleashed II for it, because it's quite a bit cheaper here. I liked the first one despite the obvious bugs, but the new one seems rather decent. My question here is, do you people consider the Wii version to be a worthwhile investment?

Not really. The game is WAY too short. Like 3-4 hours, unless you're very anal about the challenges, and with repeated practice you can blow through most of those anyway. (Heck, even I have a few platinums, and I didn't play for that long...)

By the by, now that my computer can handle such games, I've been playing Dragon Age: Origins. Very fun, but is there a single point in the game where you don't run into Black and Grey Morality and Crapsack World moments? Seriously, every so often it makes me feel depressed!

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2010, 09:42:07 AM »
By the by, now that my computer can handle such games, I've been playing Dragon Age: Origins. Very fun, but is there a single point in the game where you don't run into Black and Grey Morality and Crapsack World moments? Seriously, every so often it makes me feel depressed!
There are a few towards the end, but since I play some kind of evil character in those kind of games about 90% of the time I usually enjoy being able to bring pain and hurt to people in every situation, I make it my duty to see all those people in a slightly deeper pile of shit...
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2010, 10:58:24 AM »
There are a few towards the end, but since I play some kind of evil character in those kind of games about 90% of the time I usually enjoy being able to bring pain and hurt to people in every situation, I make it my duty to see all those people in a slightly deeper pile of shit...

I am a little more disappointed that...

[spoiler]...you cannot have lesbian romance with Morrigan.[/spoiler]

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2010, 11:19:16 AM »
DA: Origins is actually one of the better games out there. It easily rivals BG2 in terms of NPC interaction and storyline.

The thing is, every character that you can talk to has a motivation. Even that stupid Reverend Mother in Lothering (give me the frigging key already!). And frequently the conversations are hilarious (tell the chanter in Lothering "A chanter says "What?"" for loads of laughs).

But there are a few places it fails.

The add-on packs were stupidly powerful. I mean, one of them gave you a dagger right at the beginning of the game that you'd want to use all the way to the end. That was how powerful it was. I won't even go to the other items in the add-on packs (like that starmetal sword... GAH!).

[spoiler]Alistair has a total change of character and goes from compassionate joker to you must kill him whiny git in 0.03 seconds.[/spoiler]

If you play it wrong, the ending can be incredibly depressing. I don't know if I call this a fail, though.

But I didn't find too many grey ambiguities there in play. Maybe I just missed the nuances.

I always go for Leiliana, though. Morrigan is too whiny for my tastes. Always whining about people being happy, not getting any advantage, etc., etc., etc. Just shut up already. For someone who claims that people should be more individualistic and do what they want, she gets incredibly uptight when people do their own thing and not what SHE wants. [spoiler]I took entirely too much satisfaction in letting Flemeth live so that she can ambush Morrigan in the future (or not) and getting Alistair to sleep with her (imagining THAT pillow talk is suitable revenge on both whingers).[/spoiler]