Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 42104 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Video Game Discussion Thread
« on: November 04, 2010, 07:23:56 PM »
To go with our Anime and Manga thread, I've decided we could use a gaming thread that wasn't based on a p&p game.

With two more weeks for Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, I'm hard-pressed to find a new 360 (since moving in with my dad denied me regular access to Midge's). According to TV Tropes, the Dual Blade is being removed in favor of letting you dual-wield your sword and hidden pistol. A bit saddening, but at the same time that sounds awesome!

And to Prime/Kuro: Can you point me to a good arcade stick for BlazBlue? I've been meaning to buy one and get some practice in with it, but I have no idea what brands would be best.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 07:26:19 PM »
Good luck finding a 360.

I'm playing me some Fallout: New Vegas right now. Though they still didn't fix some of the engine bugs they had with FO3: broken steel, periodically locks the PS3 up so I have to cut the power.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 07:37:18 PM »
Good luck finding a 360.

I'm playing me some Fallout: New Vegas right now. Though they still didn't fix some of the engine bugs they had with FO3: broken steel, periodically locks the PS3 up so I have to cut the power.

Did Bethesda do that Fallout too? If so, you may need to search for homebrew mods, as they' usually support those mods instead of their own patches (it was that way with Oblivion, save for Shivering Isles).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 07:44:45 PM »
Nah, Obsidian developed New Vegas, Bethesda just published it. (For the record, it's definitely an Obsidian game--RIDDLED with bugs and glitches--but still worth your money.)

Brotherhood does look really good. I'm sad that I won't be able to play it here since I don't have a TV, though. (Ubisoft is really bad at porting console games to PC, so I can't just wait for the PC version like I normally would--my year-and-a-half-old laptop won't run it.)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 07:51:08 PM »
Both games use the same engine and the bug that causes random total freezes on the PS3 was introduced in BoH expansion of 3 since I had played somewhere near 50 hours without a freeze before installing it. I only made it about an hour after installing it before it started.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 09:22:49 PM »
Started replaying The Witcher. Better than the TV series, but due to the lack of translated books, haven't read the original works yet...

Handy Links

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 09:31:55 PM »
And to Prime/Kuro: Can you point me to a good arcade stick for BlazBlue? I've been meaning to buy one and get some practice in with it, but I have no idea what brands would be best.
SiFir, I've never played BlazBlue and the only home console I own is a Wii. :P
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 09:38:27 PM »
SiFir, I've never played BlazBlue and the only home console I own is a Wii. :P

Sell your body to a pimp, buy an XBox, and PLAY LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDED ON IT!

[spoiler][/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 10:09:08 PM »
After hearing much hype about it I got to playing Fal from Heaven II mod for Civilization IV.

It's AWESOME(to the point it only could be more awesome by somehow adding giant robots in medieval fantasy)! Some highlights from my current first playtrough:
-My chosen faction doesn't have a specific hero like the other factions do, instead they randomly spawn adventurers that quickly get exp every turn and then can be promoted to any unit I unlocked by paying gold, so after some time I end up with a bunch of "heroic" troops.
-First other player I meet is psycho pyromancer.
-Galadriel elf chick found while exploring the sea.
-Another goody two shoes factions builts a gate that spawns a new civilization consisting of angels, taking over the city in wich they apeared by allying with the faction that allowed their existence. Other good units that die join their side.
-Pyromancer turns against me and sends waves of skeletons! And flaming zombies that explode when killed!
-Ah, I finished researching gunpowder! Eat guns you dark mages!
-A bunch of enemy troops sneak trough my defence forces and advance towards an unprotected city!
-I promote an adventurer I had building exp. He proceeds to single-handedly defeat a dozen enemy troops.
-As casualities builds up the "armagedon counter" builds up, spawning the four horsemen of the apocalypse one by one!
-Super-plague dizimating my population, I'm kinda screwed...
-Hey, wait, my leader can change one of his abilities every X turns! I pick one that increases all my city's health for free!
-As I push into enemy territorry he spends his once-per-game spell that causes meteors to fall on all my cities, but I keep pushing forward!
-Hey, mythril mine found on eneny territorry! Conquer the nearby city and call my troops back to equip them with shiny new weapons!
-Third horsemen of the apocalypse spawns, aparently gets insta-killed right away due to unknown reasons.
-Finally find the enemy capital, protected by several high level firebal-throwing mages...
-I get special medics specific to my factions that allow me to quickly heal from fireball burns.
-Doesn't seem like there's any upgrade to increase their healing abilities, so I just increase their basic combat.
-Final assault on the enemy, damn summoned skeletons keep chump-blocking my elite troops...
-With the skeletons out of the way my medics attack and kills his mages! WITH THEIR BARE FISTS!
-One enemy down, six more to go!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 06:43:53 PM »
Picked up SRW: OG2 yesterday and I'm having some trouble with the Battle Mastery challenges. Its a fun game, but trying to get the BMs is a pain in the ass.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 06:48:28 PM »
After hearing much hype about it I got to playing Fal from Heaven II mod for Civilization IV.

It's AWESOME(to the point it only could be more awesome by somehow adding giant robots in medieval fantasy)! Some highlights from my current first playtrough:
-My chosen faction doesn't have a specific hero like the other factions do, instead they randomly spawn adventurers that quickly get exp every turn and then can be promoted to any unit I unlocked by paying gold, so after some time I end up with a bunch of "heroic" troops.
-First other player I meet is psycho pyromancer.
-Galadriel elf chick found while exploring the sea.
-Another goody two shoes factions builts a gate that spawns a new civilization consisting of angels, taking over the city in wich they apeared by allying with the faction that allowed their existence. Other good units that die join their side.
-Pyromancer turns against me and sends waves of skeletons! And flaming zombies that explode when killed!
-Ah, I finished researching gunpowder! Eat guns you dark mages!
-A bunch of enemy troops sneak trough my defence forces and advance towards an unprotected city!
-I promote an adventurer I had building exp. He proceeds to single-handedly defeat a dozen enemy troops.
-As casualities builds up the "armagedon counter" builds up, spawning the four horsemen of the apocalypse one by one!
-Super-plague dizimating my population, I'm kinda screwed...
-Hey, wait, my leader can change one of his abilities every X turns! I pick one that increases all my city's health for free!
-As I push into enemy territorry he spends his once-per-game spell that causes meteors to fall on all my cities, but I keep pushing forward!
-Hey, mythril mine found on eneny territorry! Conquer the nearby city and call my troops back to equip them with shiny new weapons!
-Third horsemen of the apocalypse spawns, aparently gets insta-killed right away due to unknown reasons.
-Finally find the enemy capital, protected by several high level firebal-throwing mages...
-I get special medics specific to my factions that allow me to quickly heal from fireball burns.
-Doesn't seem like there's any upgrade to increase their healing abilities, so I just increase their basic combat.
-Final assault on the enemy, damn summoned skeletons keep chump-blocking my elite troops...
-With the skeletons out of the way my medics attack and kills his mages! WITH THEIR BARE FISTS!
-One enemy down, six more to go!

It is a great mod. On of its authors hangs out on another forum I'm on and we actually got some of the first looks at it. It was supposed to be released as its own game at one point but that fell through before it was entirely done.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 10:35:22 PM »
Picked up SRW: OG2 yesterday and I'm having some trouble with the Battle Mastery challenges. Its a fun game, but trying to get the BMs is a pain in the ass.

You don't need to actualy get them on the first run.

If you beat the game you can save and make a game++ where you keep your money and PP, making unlocking secrets and BM considerably easier.

Seriously, trying to get the BM on your fist run is possible, but kinda of a masochist experience, in particular because in several levels you'll have little to no room for error. I talk from experience.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 03:15:54 AM »

You don't need to actualy get them on the first run.

If you beat the game you can save and make a game++ where you keep your money and PP, making unlocking secrets and BM considerably easier.

Seriously, trying to get the BM on your fist run is possible, but kinda of a masochist experience, in particular because in several levels you'll have little to no room for error. I talk from experience.

I didn't realize there would be a NG+, thanks for the tip.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 12:23:28 PM »
Some of OG2's battle masteries are a pain indeed. It's easier if you are already familiar with basics of Super Robot Wars and the series' tactics.

But like Oslecamo said, battle masteries - completely optional. Just enjoy the game!

Started replaying The Witcher. Better than the TV series, but due to the lack of translated books, haven't read the original works yet...

The Witcher is cool. I heard the English translation sucked hard, but they improved it in a patch/special edition or something. The original Polish dialogue is fun and tries to sound like if Sapkowski was on the writing staff.

You watched the Witcher TV series? I'm sorry. I really am.

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 01:57:21 PM »
My current game addictions are Castle Crashers and Plants vs. Zombies.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 02:38:38 PM »
I've been playing mostly Class of Heroes for the PSP (and waiting for my PC to come back so I can go back to playing Romancing Saga 3. What can I say, sometimes the best games are the classics).

SiFir, I can't recommend a stick for you cuz I play on a pad.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 04:27:16 PM »
SiFir, I can't recommend a stick for you cuz I play on a pad.

Dammit Gendou, what use are you!?!
Edit: Oh, right. Mind rape. Remind me to call you when someone needs that.

[/Kidding]

I'll ask the guys at Dustloop.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 05:57:17 PM »
So, folks.

Killer7.
Very disturbing.
Very weird.
Very stylish.

Bare bones, you could describe it as an adventure game+railroad shooter. But that description doesn't do it justice. Few words do. Instead, just watch these videos. Warning. Spoilers, and NSFW. Oh so NSFW.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 06:31:41 PM »

I really enjoyed that game, minus the "gotta bang em all" aspect when it came to the female characters.

I'm really looking forward to the sequel, I'm sure I'm going to fall in love with it.  In fact, I love that company just for the fact that if you bought the origional version of the game you got a free patch to upgrade it to the enhanced edition.  Polish people apparently aren't money grubbing bastards!  YAY!
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 07:05:35 PM »
So, folks.

Killer7.
Very disturbing.
Very weird.
Very stylish.

Bare bones, you could describe it as an adventure game+railroad shooter. But that description doesn't do it justice. Few words do. Instead, just watch these videos. Warning. Spoilers, and NSFW. Oh so NSFW.
Killer7 bears no description because there are no bears in the game.

That's how you get to describe it.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!