Author Topic: That Guy With the Glasses  (Read 1977 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
That Guy With the Glasses
« on: September 15, 2011, 09:33:45 PM »
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/

Anyone keep up with the stuff here? I'd enjoyed works from a few guys who had hosting on the site (Ed Glaser, Happy Harry, Team Four Star) for a while, but recently I've been archive binging Nostalgia Critic and Linkara stuff.

(I tried watching one of the reviews MasakoX had done for the site, but I was too distracted by his "Extremely British Goku" voice :p)
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: That Guy With the Glasses
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 10:20:31 PM »
I watch the Nostalgia Critic (and other of Doug's shows), Spoony, Cinema Snob. That's from the most popular people. I used to watch Linkara's vids but then I realized his reviewing style is just not to my taste, so I stopped. There's also JewWario's You Can Play This, shorties and other videos by the Full Circle team (Paw, Pushing Up Roses, Todd in the Shadows - they have the best interactions with each other), and last but not the least, the highbrow reviewing style of Oancitizen.

Is it just me or did Nostalgia Critic kinda... suck recently? First we had only some commentaries to old videos, then the LP replacing a weekly review, and then the Giant Peach video - which was supposed to be an apology for the Let's Play, but considering the extremely unfunny running gag and Doug's inability to understand that over-the-top absurdity is what MAKES Roald Dahl stories... I think I prefered the LP.

MrWiggles

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 06:30:11 AM »
I never got into Nostalgia Critic. It seemed like, a majority of his issues were unfair, and lacked context. It felt like watching the internet opinion, of Twilight, applied equally to everything. Contrast is to AVGN, where it feels his criticism with what he reviews, are factual, but he still adds an over the top flair. I feel with AVGN, I come away with an understanding of what the game was, with a highlight of its bad point. But with Nostalgia Critic, its just yelling for 10 minuets.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 09:59:51 AM »
I feel with AVGN, I come away with an understanding of what the game was, with a highlight of its bad point. But with Nostalgia Critic, its just yelling for 10 minuets.
Yeah, I don't really watch NC to find out whether something was good or not. I watch it to see a man randomly burst into tears halfway through a review, or decide to invade a country because "hey, why not". :p
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]