Author Topic: Dual Progression Necromancer  (Read 4470 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Dual Progression Necromancer
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 08:50:13 PM »
Yeah, it's probably better to just pick up the lich savage progression and see if your DM will let you use progressive LA buyoff.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 11:14:32 PM »
Walker in the Waste might be better, if you can resolve that particular issue. Honestly, though, it only makes sense that you wouldn't have to do the crafting or take the penalties for it. Otherwise that particular class feature is entirely useless.

saethone

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 11:18:53 PM »
to clarify, the reason you want dual progression - is it for dual control pools? straight dread necro would be better for that purpose. if you're wanting dual 9s because of the spells, you're better off going a wizard/urpriest/mystic theurge route

you could always go necropolitan too, its a less expensive way to get undead. especially if you can convince the dm to let you have it pre-game start so you dont have to spend the exp :D

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 11:24:13 PM »
to clarify, the reason you want dual progression - is it for dual control pools? straight dread necro would be better for that purpose. if you're wanting dual 9s because of the spells, you're better off going a wizard/urpriest/mystic theurge route

you could always go necropolitan too, its a less expensive way to get undead. especially if you can convince the dm to let you have it pre-game start so you dont have to spend the exp :D

Necropolitan w/Spellstitching for Animate Dead SLA as well

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 01:28:29 AM »
Dread Necromancer becomes a lich at a certain level, IIRC.
20. However, FAQ or Sage or one of the other ever-so-reliable sources said you still have to craft the phylacteries and carry all the penalties. So, basically, according to them the entire class feature doesn't exist.
:banghead

... Why am I surprised any more? That's it. I've lost all faith in extraneous FAQ/Sage/Customer Service. It no longer exists.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 02:17:45 AM »
20. However, FAQ or Sage or one of the other ever-so-reliable sources said you still have to craft the phylacteries and carry all the penalties. So, basically, according to them the entire class feature doesn't exist.

... Why am I surprised any more? That's it. I've lost all faith in extraneous FAQ/Sage/Customer Service. It no longer exists.

Welcome to the club. We have jackets, buttons, and punch. The Dark Side stole all our cookies, though.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 10:29:24 AM »
Hey all. I've been wanting to play a casting necromancer for awhile, but no clue where to start. I know for sure that I want for it to be dual casting progression. (I want to get the cool spells from the Tome of Necromancy). That's about all I know though. I don't want to outshine the group mates either. I have permission to use Ur-Priest though. Any basic ideas?
Do you want a lot of undead?  The Pale Master is normally a bitter pill to swallow with that completely dead level at the front, but if you're trying to self-nerf, taking two levels is a good way to get free undead and save money.  If you're also going the Ur Priest route, I'd suggest Mystic Theruge over True Necromancer.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 10:31:03 AM »

Welcome to the club. We have jackets, buttons, and punch. The Dark Side stole all our cookies, though.
Yeah.  I never reference that for anything or seek it out.  If someone posts one of their rulings, I simply ignore it.  You'll get better, more reliable results simply flipping a coin.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2010, 11:28:13 AM »
The Sage is usually pretty good, but it still has the occasional WTF moment (Dread Necro capstone being one of them).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.