Author Topic: New mods?  (Read 20463 times)

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
Re: New mods?
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2011, 10:41:45 PM »
I see... So there can be nothing done here... I (and some other users) just have to be quiet and wait for better days...
Or you could take it in stride, like... most of the posters. Complaining about lack of moderation on a board where one of the draws is less moderation than elsewhere is kind of like drinking alcohol-free beer and complaining that it doesn't have alcohol.
Yeah, I tried that. Just see my latest posts. It's just not easy and I would like to avoid simple trolling and spaming. Unfortunatly I don't have anything worthwile to post...
Giving up to trolls is a lousy idea. Far as my experience goes, they can be ignored and they tend to stop their spamming when they get no attention.

Edit: Forgot to say this: Usually if there is a troll roaming the forum you do not have to argue with them alone. If you feel someone is being an asshole on purpose you can be sure that others notice it as well and many users react rather strongly to that kind of behaviour.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:45:03 PM by Tshern »

Handy Links

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2011, 12:01:18 AM »
This. In the time I've spent on the boards (i.e. since the first great 339 exodus), there were three permanent bans that I remember well (not counting scores of spambots): OneWinged4ngel, Ubernoob, and AndyJames.

The first made himself a pain in the ass to the BGs themselves, specifically Meg, for a good while before being banned.
The second had a modus operandi similar to what people are complaining about in Sunic now, but kept it up for a longer time before finally being judged not worth the trouble. I'm not sure what the last straw was here, but I think it was the BGs getting complaints about podcast listeners being turned off from the podcast itself by the climate on the boards. This is the one I remember the least, however.
The third openly attacked and mocked opposing ideologies as well as people who defended them, and went on for a long time as well. The final straw was a personal attack on a poster's recently deceased mother that had nothing to do with the topic on hand, as I recall.

As you can see, it takes a lot to get yourself banned around here, and in each case I'm pretty sure there was a 'last straw' that pushed things across the line. BG isn't GitP, or even WotC, and this is important to keep in mind. More mods don't matter much when the climate rarely gets actually bad enough for them to step in. It's not that there aren't enough to do the job, it's that it's an emergency job.

You forgot Slate, but he was incredibly minor and his account deleted outright.

It doesn't need to be someone on all the time. That's fine.

If interested:
-- you must have presented yourself extremely maturely
-- you must be respected by members here
-- you should be "elected" by your peers

So if anyone is interested, I'll start a new thread for it.
Oww... I don't have 3 out of this requirements... Shoot... Now I'm sad. :(

I'm very lacking on the first one, and have no idea on the second (I haven't contributed that much lately).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2011, 07:42:42 AM »
I think if you achieve the third criterion it is also safe to assume you have no troubles with the two first ones.

Handy Links

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2011, 09:21:54 AM »
I think if you achieve the third criterion it is also safe to assume you have no troubles with the two first ones.
Assuming that your peers aren't a bunch of guys who signed up on the same day and never post again after voting. :p
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2011, 02:49:17 PM »
Assuming that your peers aren't a bunch of guys who signed up on the same day and never post again after voting. :p
Or that your peers don't go on to sell everyone weight-loss powders and male-enhancement products.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2011, 04:05:49 PM »
You call me an election rigger? Harsh.

Handy Links