Author Topic: Is the linked homebrew discipline any good.  (Read 2685 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Is the linked homebrew discipline any good.
« on: November 02, 2010, 10:59:17 PM »
Because it looks cool, I want to know if it would be worth it, in your typical game.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122533
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:13:54 PM by Amechra »
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Is the linked homebrew discipline any good.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 11:18:09 PM »
too situational; it's only good versus other martial adepts, and seriously, how many DMs use martial adepts?
the prereqs for all the maneuvers make it so you have to invest into this, unlike with stone dragon whose maneuvers have almost no prerequistites

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 12:45:53 AM »
too situational; it's only good versus other martial adepts, and seriously, how many DMs use martial adepts?
the prereqs for all the maneuvers make it so you have to invest into this, unlike with stone dragon whose maneuvers have almost no prerequistites
This. If you were playing in a campaign full of martial adepts, it would be more useful, but it's definitely a niche school.

Now if you want some other homebrew disciplines to look at, TheDementedOne has absolutely exquisite disciplines you could look at. It'd seriously be possible (and even feasible) to play a martial adept without using the ToB schools, or even run a campaign full of martial adepts without worrying about things turning stale. I'd even go so far as to call his work...sublime. :P

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 10:45:53 PM »
actually it doesn't look to bad, but the ToB system was never very organized to me. Not sure if adding more is a good idea. But then again I, fairly, restrict a lot of magic (but not the ToB stuff).
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 10:54:15 PM »
actually it doesn't look to bad, but the ToB system was never very organized to me. Not sure if adding more is a good idea. But then again I, fairly, restrict a lot of magic (but not the ToB stuff).
Nah. It's bloody useless unless you know you'll be fighting martial adepts. As far as the ToB system, it's actually one of WotC's gems, up until they started doing silly things like saying "make your game more like 4e, eliminate the recharge mechanic for maneuvers." Which is bullshit.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 11:04:09 PM »
I would suggest using this in a campaign where characters get maneuvers for free based on their BAB.
As far as the ToB system, it's actually one of WotC's gems, up until they started doing silly things like saying "make your game more like 4e, eliminate the recharge mechanic for maneuvers." Which is bullshit.
Huh?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 11:11:07 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 11:08:12 PM »
As far as the ToB system, it's actually one of WotC's gems, up until they started doing silly things like saying "make your game more like 4e, eliminate the recharge mechanic for maneuvers." Which is bullshit.
Huh?
Somewhere, I don't quite remember where, one of the design team mentioned adapting the ToB classes to fit better with 4e's encounter/daily powers by getting rid of the recharge mechanics entirely so that maneuvers were one use per fight.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 12:13:39 AM »
On the subject of homebrew martial disciplines, here's another. Give it an eyeball. (Yes, I know, it sucks.)
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 09:26:23 PM »
This. If you were playing in a campaign full of martial adepts, it would be more useful, but it's definitely a niche school.

Now if you want some other homebrew disciplines to look at, TheDementedOne has absolutely exquisite disciplines you could look at. It'd seriously be possible (and even feasible) to play a martial adept without using the ToB schools, or even run a campaign full of martial adepts without worrying about things turning stale. I'd even go so far as to call his work...sublime. :P

Oh yeah, I remember looking at his stuff. Coin's Edge looks fun.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing