Author Topic: Another way to take Warmage.  (Read 3858 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Another way to take Warmage.
« on: November 02, 2010, 07:30:50 PM »
OK, this build is intended to be just a little blasty fun, and not something at all powerful. This is why I'm not taking any of the really good options.

Human Warmage 1/Warlock 4/Eldritch Theurge 10/X 5

Why is this, in any way, shape or form, fun?

1. Fire AoEs through your eldritch blasts.
2. 3+Cha times per day, apply eldritch essences to your spells.
3. Put touch spells onto your Eldritch blast.

Now, you also have to notice that you can do stuff like combining 1 or 3 with 2, so as to do stuff like throwing Fireball onto a Scorching Ray.

Or onto a Heightened magic missile.

And then there's stuff like throwing Brimstone Blast onto a magic missile, giving you a handy little fire starter. Or making Vitriolic Magic Missiles; no save, no SR, acid damage. Have fun.

Throw earth spell, snowcasting and flash frost shenanigans on here to make evocation something to be (very mildly) be feared!

Any suggestions for the last 5 levels?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Another way to take Warmage.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 07:33:54 PM »
War Mage PrC from Dragonlance?? It could net you +3 per die of damage and a lenient DM would probably let you expand the metamagic list for bonus feats to nab some feats to penetrate immunity.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 07:40:17 PM »
So I would be a War Mage Warmage? Sweet.

About where would you put this guy, power-level wise? I'm just curious.

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 07:43:27 PM »
I think a lot would depend on feats but probably low tier 3 with decent op as he would be very capable of consistently dealing a fair bit of damage IMO.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 09:20:17 AM »
So another Mailman?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 05:17:54 PM »
Quote from: Complete Mage, p57
Eldritch Spellweave (Su): Beginning at 5th level, you can apply an eldritch essence invocation you know (other than greatreach blast or spellblast) to any arcane spell...
Srsly....

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 05:20:14 PM »
Probably has a nasty time dealing with SR for half his abilities/spells, but I'd have to double check that guess...

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 05:23:21 PM »
Probably has a nasty time dealing with SR for half his abilities/spells, but I'd have to double check that guess...
It can be worked around.  There's actually a really good invocation for dealing with SR in Dragon Magic, and you get it right around level 11 (when SR starts becoming a problem for casters).

EDIT: Nevermind, this works as written.

I say fill up the rest with Hellfire Warlock and 2 more levels of Warmage.  Use Eclectic Learning to get Power Word: Pain.  After hitting them with a ridiculously strong Hellfire Blast, they immediately get hit with PW:Pain as well, which receives full benefit from Warmage Edge each round.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:26:00 PM by X-Codes »

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 05:52:53 PM »
A War Mage Warmage might be cool...nice charisma synergy with Arcane Aegis (Charisma to AC for allies).
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 06:41:37 PM »
There's actually a really good invocation for dealing with SR

It's called Vitriolic Blast
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 06:45:49 PM »
Eldritch Spellweave (Su): Beginning at 5th level, you can apply an eldritch essence invocation you know (other than greatreach blast or spellblast) to any arcane spell...
Srsly....

Dang, how did I miss that?

A War Mage Warmage would be fun. I mostly picked Warmage because they can cast their 9th level spells at level 15 (know whole list+Precocious Apprentice.)

Arcane Disciple might be fun...

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 08:21:03 PM »
Srsly....

Dang, how did I miss that?

A War Mage Warmage would be fun. I mostly picked Warmage because they can cast their 9th level spells at level 15 (know whole list+Precocious Apprentice.)

Arcane Disciple might be fun...

How is precocious apprentice getting you to 9ths at 15? it doesn't have anything to do with high level spell access, only 2nd level spells early.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 10:07:56 PM »
Gah, why did I write Precocious Apprentice? I meant Versatile Spellcaster.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 10:16:09 PM »
With fell drain metamagic, I'd call it quite a decent glass cannon build. Tier 2 for the lack of versatility, but awesome power in one area like the tier 1 classes.

So around mid tier 2.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 10:20:42 PM »
Gah, why did I write Precocious Apprentice? I meant Versatile Spellcaster.
I am AFB and don't have VS memorized...can it be used to get spells 2 levels above your highest level? Warmages get level 8's at 16, like sorcerers.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 11:26:57 PM »
With fell drain metamagic, I'd call it quite a decent glass cannon build. Tier 2 for the lack of versatility, but awesome power in one area like the tier 1 classes.

So around mid tier 2.

*Beeeeeeep*

I mean, I assumed this was somewhere in the low 3's.

And oh, Versatile Spellcaster would let you cast a Sanctum 9th level spell at level 14. Sure, your CL sucks hard, but it gives you a little leeway.

So, maybe I'll take Eldritch Master for the last 5 levels. -3 CL, but I get another spell list added to my Warmage casting. Wait, is Chameleon a valid choice for a spell list? How about archivist?

So the build would have, in the end, CL 14 and 2 Spell lists. That you can cast the 9s out of. And you can apply Eldritch Essences to.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 11:55:17 PM »
Off topic, but your sig is way too big. Spoilers rawk.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 04:38:10 AM »
Stormcaster.

Because if all you do is blast stuff, take the level hit and add free stunning to everything you do.
Bo3T and daze immunity is nice too. Also Reserves of Strength is awesome for blasting and breaking built in damage limits.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 04:44:00 AM »

Who the hell cares about bypassing SR with an acid-damaging Eldrich Blast?  If you wanted to be clever, at least say something like Chilling Tentacles.  Penetrating Blast imposes a -5 penalty to SR that lasts for a minute, meaning that should your target fail it's save, you can do something relevant on the next turn without worrying nearly as much about SR.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 04:00:49 PM »

Who the hell cares about bypassing SR with an acid-damaging Eldrich Blast?  If you wanted to be clever, at least say something like Chilling Tentacles.  Penetrating Blast imposes a -5 penalty to SR that lasts for a minute, meaning that should your target fail it's save, you can do something relevant on the next turn without worrying nearly as much about SR.

You apply Vitriolic Blast to your spells because you're an Eldritch Theurge. Boom, they ignore SR.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.