Author Topic: Wizards, Now The Better Healer?  (Read 4624 times)

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
Re: Wizards, Now The Better Healer?
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 02:28:19 PM »
Make it negative energy then, and take Tomb Tainted Soul.
the quote from the glossary says negative energy is a no no.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 10:48:40 PM »
It was a good try. Anything that allows turning into neg energy specifically says so, correct?
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Summerstorm

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 10:11:03 AM »
Ah, sorry for digging this one out...

My cloistered Cleric just died in a campaign (seems that having lower HP and bad ref saves CAN kill you... who knew *g*), and i am creating a new character.

So my cleric was pretty much a HP-battery of epic proportions (Going on Radiant Servant loaded with healing feats), and my group is accustomed to being healed constantly now... but i don't really like to play ANOTHER cleric now.

So i was thinking about different ways to get a slight healing output through other classes/feats... so to at least provide a bit of healing. I would like to ask for some opinions/ideas on these:

My findings:
Dread Necromancer, somehow get 8 ranks healing (need to find possibility for that), chose "Sacred Healing" feat (Complete Divine) and use the rebuking for fast healing bestowment . (Legal? Table says  turning/rebuking, Text says turning - somehow possible to get to the "Master of life and death"-point?- changing the negative energy of the Dread Necromancer through some channel into positive?).

Dragon Shaman (lvl 6) touch of Vitality - Any idea how to boost that particular ability (except raising charisma?)

Any other ideas how to gain access to fast healing bestowment or touch of healing or even (gasp) access to curing spells and/or lesser restoration effects, without being a cleric or druid... or the dreaded bard?

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 10:40:03 AM »

My cloistered Cleric just died in a campaign (seems that having lower HP and bad ref saves CAN kill you... who knew *g*), and i am creating a new character.

So my cleric was pretty much a HP-battery of epic proportions (Going on Radiant Servant loaded with healing feats), and my group is accustomed to being healed constantly now... but i don't really like to play ANOTHER cleric now.

So i was thinking about different ways to get a slight healing output through other classes/feats... so to at least provide a bit of healing. I would like to ask for some opinions/ideas on these:

My findings:
Dread Necromancer, somehow get 8 ranks healing (need to find possibility for that), chose "Sacred Healing" feat (Complete Divine) and use the rebuking for fast healing bestowment . (Legal? Table says  turning/rebuking, Text says turning - somehow possible to get to the "Master of life and death"-point?- changing the negative energy of the Dread Necromancer through some channel into positive?).

Dragon Shaman (lvl 6) touch of Vitality - Any idea how to boost that particular ability (except raising charisma?)

Any other ideas how to gain access to fast healing bestowment or touch of healing or even (gasp) access to curing spells and/or lesser restoration effects, without being a cleric or druid... or the dreaded bard?
The Dread Necro one is legal. Turning and Rebuking Undead tend to be used interchangably unless specifically noted otherwise.

Depending on your level, Dread Necro 4/Rainbow Servant 10 (early entry with the Versatile Spellcaster feat) will give you all the healing you'd want. Alternatively, Dread Necro or War Mage or Beguiler with the Arcane Disciple Healing feat will give you some healing.

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 11:05:20 AM »

My findings:

druids can be pretty effective healers. they get the spells, but my fav is summoning a unicorn to heal the party
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 04:34:32 PM »
Hate to burst bubbles. Positive Energy & Negative Energy are not Energy.

Quote from: Rules Compendium
Energy
Some effects use or create energy, dealing damage according to the type of energy used. Energy comes in five types: acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic. The types of energy help to determine whether certain creatures are more resistant or more vulnerable to the attack that uses the energy.
The X Energy name is just as misleading as Ability Damage. Never trust in the name or title of something.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 04:48:19 PM »
Druids are shitty healers.  They don't get Break Enchantment, Restoration, Greater Restoration, or any of the Raise Dead line of spells (Reincarnate is either terrible or ridiculous depending on what you turn into).  They also don't get Mass Heal and get Heal and Restoration a level late, in addition to getting every single Cure spell after CLW a level late.

You can make up SOME of this ground with Domains and Feats, but that requires making a Druid focused on healing, which is hugely inferior to a Cleric focused on "Nature" spells.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2010, 07:07:32 PM »
my group is accustomed to being healed constantly now... but i don't really like to play ANOTHER cleric now.

So don't.  "Heal Bitch" is not a necessary party role, and certainly not a PC role.  It's a job for an NPC or a wand or potion.

I think your party needs a wake-up call if they've seriously gotten used to being healed constantly.  I recommend you try being more of a battlefield controller and debuffer.  Tell your fellows "Look, free ride is over, wise up or suffer.  I will make it possible for you to take much less damage so you don't need to be healed constantly, but it's up to you to take advantage of it."  You can save a ton of incoming damage with spells like Slow and Dimension HopShuffle, or even a Summon Monster or Undead spell that's too low level to have a direct effect on the fight, if you block charge lines with it.  There's a lot you can do to save the party's bacon without having to devote all your time and energy to putting them back together when they're getting taken apart for being stupid.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."