Author Topic: New mods?  (Read 20459 times)

AleksanderTheGreat

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Dumbass. o_o
Re: New mods?
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2011, 04:09:57 PM »
I was using the Report to moderator button, but it was ignored.

Just because it wasn't acted on doesn't mean it was ignored.

But again, stop waiting for mods. They will come and tidy up in their own time. Until then take responsibility for acting as you see fit. Just remember that if you become an intolerable douche and persist at it, you had better also have a lot to contribute.  ;)
But WHAT can I do?
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2011, 04:17:35 PM »

But again, stop waiting for mods. They will come and tidy up in their own time. Until then take responsibility for acting as you see fit. Just remember that if you become an intolerable douche and persist at it, you had better also have a lot to contribute.  ;)
But WHAT can I do?
Be better than them. Don't troll back or flame back. Stick to the topic like the offensive post never existed. Why waste time on trolls(unless you're bored and have nothing better to do, then I rest my case).
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2011, 04:18:17 PM »

But WHAT can I do?

Be constructive. Be knowledgeable. Ask questions if you're not.

And take pride in being the one best able to ignore obvious flame-bait.

Or better yet, take the bait without flaming yourself, respond and defeat the point soundly and we all grow as a result.

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2011, 04:21:22 PM »

But WHAT can I do?

Or better yet, take the bait without flaming yourself, respond and defeat the point soundly and we all grow as a result.
But it's... HARD... I don't wanna! :tantrum
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2011, 04:21:46 PM »

But WHAT can I do?
1)Tell the person they are being a douche and why.
2)Tell them they are wrong and why.
3)Ignore them because no matter what you say they will be a wrong douche. follow the "don't argue with an idiot, because an onlooker won't be able to tell the difference"
4)throw insults at them and spout memes that no one knows/cares about. (Only works for some people)
5)proceed to make constructive comments pertaining to the current or original subject as appropriate and let them be confused why you didn't feed the troll.

pick a few of the above and use them.

:ninja ed that is ok though.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2011, 04:26:43 PM »

But WHAT can I do?

But it's... HARD... I don't wanna! :tantrum

*pat pat pat*

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2011, 04:31:30 PM »
And I'm surprised that this post was deleted. I've seen worse, I've REPORTED worse and nothing happened.
I think there are some bugs in the permissions which make it possible to delete your own posts in certain situations. I don't have the power to check.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2011, 04:47:05 PM »
It would be nice to have permission on deleting your own posts, at least those that don't have any replies (are the last post in a thread).
BTW. This is what I'm talking about! Go Meg, Go!

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2011, 05:07:17 PM »
First off, let me take this opportunity to give a giant shout out to Prime32- I honestly don't know what we would've done without him on the boards lately. He is really the only active mod right now, and even went so far as to call out this thread to me to chime in on.  So kudos and thank you.

I'm going to address a couple of points, but I think most of you made the points for me.  Again, thank you.

I believe in the hands off community- mostly because when I was active on WotC, even as a mod, I got really frustrated that people weren't allowed to be given the chance to solve their own problems.  I believe that if the problem CAN be solved by the people involved, it's healthier for them and the forums.

An example- I manage a group of people at work (my real work). If one comes to me and says "I didn't like that Annie did X!" I respond with "Did you talk to Annie?"  "No..." "Ok, then I can help you figure out how you'll talk to her, what words to use, and how to clarify your issue, but you need to talk to her yourself. And I'm going to follow up with you at the end of the week to make sure you did."

Every now and then people aren't mature enough or professional enough to figure it out themselves. That's when other measures come in.

Here's the Hierarchy of Moderation for the BG boards:
1. Moderate yourself. Be professional. Be mature. Would you say this at the gaming table? Are you being a decent human being?
2. Others just ignore Poster X's bad behavior. We all have bad behavior at one time or another, and maybe this is Poster X's first time being doucy.  Maybe he's having an off week.  Ignore him.
3. Posters moderate Posters. See all of the advice above- you guys know what you want, tell Poster X to knock it off and tell him why his behavior is douchy. Send some PMs. Do it in context, point of "service".
4. Report the post and the mods step in
5. Report the post and Meg steps in

I'm the LAST resort, the last step when everything else has failed. Deal with it yourself if you can, use us if you can't.

Another thing to note though- don't feel like you shouldn't use the Report button. That's all I go by, honestly. Prime is around, but all I read are those reports for the most part. If I suddenly get 3 reports on the same thread, you can bet your butt I'll check it out. Same goes if some of the names that I respect and WANT to have a good time here report the thread- their voice is more important to me. I want this to be their community and if something is pissing them off, I'll check it out. It's not favoritism, it's giving power to the people who have put the time in and proven themselves, so do that and I'll listen to you too.

Finally- here's a general list of my priorities, in order, in life in terms of what I spend the most time on (not counting eating, sleeping, etc)...
1. My job - I'm an executive and work a bunch of hours.
2. My daughter
3. My husband
4. Twitter
5. Our podcast
6. Video games
7. TV
8. Weekly game night
9. Spur of the moment games
10. Facebook
11. Family
12. The dog
13. Farting around on my ipad
14. These boards
15. Staring out the window
16. Reading magazines in the doctor's office

I used to be a total forum-whore.  Twitter sort of replaced that. I don't spend much time here at all, so don't feel like I'm ignoring you... it's just so low on my priority list.

That being said- if you ever want to get ahold of me- if you've sent a report and it's gone unnoticed or if there is something abrewin' that you think I should step in for- send me a PM or a Twitter. PM's go to my email so I get them and twitter is a great way to talk directly with me. @bg_meg

Does that help?
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2011, 05:13:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply Meg. Perhaps a sticky of the moderation guidelines somewhere here in the Meta Board would help in the future so people know what is expected of them and that the Mods aren't here to tell Johnny to quit shooting spitballs.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2011, 05:19:25 PM »
I see... So there can be nothing done here... I (and some other users) just have to be quiet and wait for better days...

No no no.

That is the wrong approach entirely.

Speak UP. Let yourselves be heard.

But remember the old internet saying... Mods = Gods.

Don't waste your time praying when there is work to be done! Take your fate in your own hands. Ask questions, send PMs, stand up to spam and trolls.

But most importantly, contribute and grow.

Secondly, be right!  ;)

Also, while we're on the subject, I still miss all those that have been banned. They were all arrogant douches, but just as Sunic, they usually were constructive about it and were also valuable posters when not being douches.

Yes yes yes! Stand up! Speak up! If it's important, say something! We can't help what we don't know needs help.  

On the other hand, if you are too whiny, we WILL ignore you. So there's that.

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2011, 05:19:39 PM »
i also agree with ejo, andy and ubber were douches and good contributers. i think the boards were better with them.

but meg disagrees..

that is to say, someone will eventually miss sunic also...  :P

Also, while we're on the subject, I still miss all those that have been banned. They were all arrogant douches, but just as Sunic, they usually were constructive about it and were also valuable posters when not being douches.

Each one of those bans was really thought about, as was Sunic's that I just put through (for a 4th time).  BECAUSE they were good contributers. If it was just up to me, they would've each happened sooner but I wanted to make sure I was making the right decision.  

Here's how I decide to ban someone-- if they are more trouble than they are worth- for me but moreso for the rest of the boards. Are they contributing enough to make up for their bad behavior? For a while Uber definitely did.  But then it just got bad and I thought the whole community would be brought down if they were allowed to continue their negative behavior.

I miss Uber. The others- I think the boards are better off without them, and that's what it comes down to when I decide to ban someone.

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2011, 05:21:19 PM »
Oh!  But, one important note- I'd still like 1 more generalist mod. It's a lot for Prime to do on his own, and he really is doing it on his own now. 2 voices also are better to check with each other that they're making the right choices and to challenge each other.  So ideally, someone with a fairly different viewpoint from Prime so they can engage in healthy debate.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2011, 05:25:33 PM »
It's a lot for Prime to do on his own, and he really is doing it on his own now.
I... didn't know that. I thought Dan2 and TheChrisWaits were still active. :(
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2011, 05:30:46 PM »
Oh!  But, one important note- I'd still like 1 more generalist mod. It's a lot for Prime to do on his own, and he really is doing it on his own now. 2 voices also are better to check with each other that they're making the right choices and to challenge each other.  So ideally, someone with a fairly different viewpoint from Prime so they can engage in healthy debate.
Do you have anyone specific in mind? *wink* :P

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2011, 05:32:05 PM »
as someone who is logged in a lot I'd be willing to help out, but I do believe there are other people who would probably be better choices. The first pages of this thread had some suggestions and I feel many of those are still applicable.

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2011, 05:32:54 PM »
Yes, exactly.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2011, 06:07:52 PM »
Well, I'm on a great deal, but the pattern is too irregular really, when assignments come in I basically drop everything.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2011, 07:50:29 PM »
It doesn't need to be someone on all the time. That's fine.

If interested:
-- you must have presented yourself extremely maturely
-- you must be respected by members here
-- you should be "elected" by your peers

So if anyone is interested, I'll start a new thread for it.

AleksanderTheGreat

• Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2011, 08:00:46 PM »
It doesn't need to be someone on all the time. That's fine.

If interested:
-- you must have presented yourself extremely maturely
-- you must be respected by members here
-- you should be "elected" by your peers

So if anyone is interested, I'll start a new thread for it.
Oww... I don't have 3 out of this requirements... Shoot... Now I'm sad. :(