Author Topic: Pokemon.  (Read 1907 times)

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
Pokemon.
« on: October 31, 2010, 12:09:56 PM »
Okay, I did a search, and precisely one person ever has attempted to adapt Pokemon? In 2008? And got around six posts? I feel justified in starting another.  :P Our campaigns are such that playing an anthropomorphic shiny eevee ninja as part of a group of soldiers, erm, went perfectly normal. One of the players even failed to notice I was playing a pokemon, which does not speak exceptionally well of my art skills. He was pretty gritty for an eevee, though.

So my ideas here are threefold: Racial classes for pokemon, a trainer-like class (least important really, horses that leap over skyscrapers = plenty fun on their own), and perhaps pokemon-emulating class(es) resembling totemist (because leaping over skyscrapers when you're not a ponyta = also fun).

With at the minimum 151 pokemon, and probably more since I like dark pokemon and will need at least 2nd generation for that, ... how might I attempt this and not burn out? What would be a good model to base racial classes on, or will they vary too widely between Ponyta, Abra, and Tentacool? Should evolutions be prestige classes unique to a single race of pokemon, which is kind of weird? Obviously Espeon and Bellosom aren't going to get the same class features...

I'm going to keep brainstorms in the next post, and if I write anything comprehensive, I'll put it in a new thread with a halfway proper number of posts.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
Re: Pokemon.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 12:10:10 PM »
Okay, so here are some things that would be reasonable to pursue.

[spoiler]
- Charmander's line would be reasonably modeled by a dragonfire adept. A fair number of fire pokemon could adopt the breath weapon of a dragonfire adept.
- Ponyta's line apparently has adamantine hooves, excellent speed, and rather astounding jumping capability as well as their fiery stuff. I'm not sure how to get them jumpy enough to jump over a skyscraper, though.
- String shot should entangle. Maybe like Entangling Ectoplasm, because that's what that power feels like.
- Grass-types are going to have fun with status effects. Stun Spore would probably be overpowered if it simply paralyzes for the encounter. What are good alternatives? Modeling it on the card game, it would be more stunned for the turn, but that seems a little weak... perhaps a scaling power that starts with a turn of stun, increasing to intermittent or even normal paralysis? Poison seems to resemble a vrock's Spore attack, and could likely remain that way for poisonpowder, but actual poisons for creatures like Arbok and Tentacool might be more reasonable.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:21:59 PM by Kajhera »

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 03:32:39 PM »
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 03:38:04 PM »
Neat. That looks precisely like what I've failed to find for some reason.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 03:57:42 PM »
There's nothing about playing pokemon themselves though, just an fyi.

I found that when I was looking up Frank and K's tomes.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 04:10:30 PM »
Except... no Geodude ... where is Geodude?

Yeah, I'll brainstorm more on that matter.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 04:16:16 PM »
There's nothing about playing pokemon themselves though, just an fyi.

I found that when I was looking up Frank and K's tomes.
The Monster Trainer(Tamer?) in the Tomes suits pretty well for a Trainer/Breeder/Whathaveyou, though.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 01:22:18 AM »
geodude is living spell wall of stone.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 09:59:38 PM »
Eh, it's more of very much an earth elemental.

I threw a bunch of Zubat into a campaign recently. They posed a reasonable amount of threat, and could have posed more; the evil warlockish person who also leeches life from his foes took one on as a familiar.

Suppose I'll look into writing up an Eevee entry for that place and then get started on racial classes, since we still don't have ways to play them.

Edit: Wait, no, Eevee exists. Just isn't in the pokedex.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:53:40 PM by Kajhera »