Author Topic: Fist of the North Star - which system?  (Read 1181 times)

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Fist of the North Star - which system?
« on: October 30, 2010, 03:23:32 PM »
I'm pondering running a Fist of the North Star game, but the first problem is deciding on which system to use. Big Eyes Small Mouth is an obvious choice, as all sorts of ridiculous martial arts could be made using its rules. Then I thought of Mutants & Masterminds, and using a condition track instead of HP rather does appeal to me - seems like it'd support the atmosphere better. Unisystem has been suggested to me, and I do believe there's a post-apocalyptic RPG book using that system, but I haven't read it myself.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Fist of the North Star - which system?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 03:34:32 PM »
BESM really doesn't have any advantages over M&M. Anywhere.

4e might work, given the minion rules. There was a thread for a 3.5e campaign...
EDIT: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6701.0
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 05:40:50 PM »
Mutants and Masterminds include minor, minion-type foes too.

When you're not sure which system to play something in, then really - go for M&M. The system is pretty easy to break (not unwillingly though - you will create a powerful munchkin character only if you actively try to), so character creation requires a lot of GM cooperation. But in return, you get something that can simulate almost anything really easily.

Especially Fist of the North Star. M&M was created to roleplay stories like that one. Don't forget to pick up the Mecha and Manga supplement if you can. It's great.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 02:33:01 AM »
Mutants and Masterminds include minor, minion-type foes too.

When you're not sure which system to play something in, then really - go for M&M. The system is pretty easy to break (not unwillingly though - you will create a powerful munchkin character only if you actively try to), so character creation requires a lot of GM cooperation. But in return, you get something that can simulate almost anything really easily.

Especially Fist of the North Star. M&M was created to roleplay stories like that one. Don't forget to pick up the Mecha and Manga supplement if you can. It's great.
Well, I wouldn't worry about breaking so much, they are self aware of the breakyness and the Ultimate Power supplement as well as the powers themselves note what are potentially broken.

Heh, if you want to make people explode, Autofire Strike, Insidious(damage is undetectable until you keel over).
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 10:32:09 PM »
Or if you're in a min-maxing mood and feel like adding only a power feat and not an extra:

Triggered - activated by saying "you are already dead".