Author Topic: Called Shots .... version umpteen-million  (Read 1556 times)

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
Called Shots .... version umpteen-million
« on: October 29, 2010, 03:59:33 PM »
Called Shots .... a topic that is as contentious as critical hit/miss tables; with most simply conceding to the idea that such things are not really appropriate for the game mechanics as they are ... that such simulationism simply does not "fit" within such an abstract model.

I beg to differ.

The biggest problem with most Called Shot concepts is either:
1) it involves having to learn and implement some sort of draconian sub-system that is usually just too onerous to even bother with  -or-
2) balance issues -- i.e., the option is "too good"
I simply want utilize existing concepts and mechanics, using and expanding the utility of the established rule set.  My goal is to create a viable combat option that doesn't necessarily turn the melee combat dynamic on its head.

Now, I do realize that, no matter what, this is not going to be for everybody.  This is simply for those of us whose sense of simulationism would be gratified by something like this.

Now, I like the [ambush] feats.  However, while they do offer some interesting options for precision-based hitters, I feel that something is missing

The Sunder option seems to be a natural fit for this; and this would give Sunder an actual in-combat use that doesn't require you to destroy treasure
I'm also getting a lot of mileage out of the condition summary list.

This is still a work in progress (i.e., hasn't been play-tested), as I'm sure some things will still need to be tweaked in order to account for some stuff that I haven't foreseen.
So, here it goes:

Called Shots
[spoiler]
Sometimes a PC may wish to target a specific part of the creatures body in order to create more favorable combat conditions.  Making a Called Shot, the attacker specifies a specific limb or vital spot he wishes to target.  He then makes a Sunder attempt as if targeting a weapon/shield, with the following changes:
- may also use a piercing weapon in addition to slashing and bludgeoning (unlike a typical sunder)
- the defender adds any dodge and size bonuses to AC to his opposing attack roll; also, legs count as 1 size category smaller than the creature, arms are 2 sizes smaller, and heads are 3 sizes smaller.   ***thinking about adding deflection and insight bonuses to this -- still working on it ... you tell me***
  -- if the defender is using the Combat Expertise feat to increase AC and/or is fighting defensively, the to-hit penalty from these do not apply to this opposing roll
  -- if targeting the head/neck or a vital organ, attacker must use a standard action (multi-headed creatures, like the hydra, are an exception)
- Damage threshold -- divide max HP by # of limbs (round down, min 1); this is the creatures "called shot threshold".  once this threshold has been reached, the limb is considered to be amputated, crushed/mangled, or otherwise rendered useless.  Damage to a limb in the form of a called shot deals damage to the body equal to 1/2 (round down, min 1) of the damage dealt to the limb (e.g., if you called-shot a leg for 20 damage, the creature itself has only taken 10 points of actual HP damage) (see "Effects/Results" below for more on this).
- Hardness -- hardness of the targeted area = normal DR + armor hardness + natural AC bonus   *** thinking of adding deflection AC bonus to this .... you tell me***
  -- Special Materials:
    --- adamantine can only bypasses armor and shield hardness
    --- if a creature is vulnerable to a specific substance and/or quality (such as cold iron for fey, or good for fiends); then if it bypasses DR, it also bypasses the natural armor bonus component of the above formula.

Effects/Results
Simple Method
Once you have done enough damage to the limb as to render it useless, the victim continues to lose 1 HP/round and is treated as being "staggered" until he receives a DC 15 Heal check or a Conjuration (Healing) spell/effect.  Additionally, he must make a Fort save (DC = threshold??  just a flat 15?? input needed) or be treated as being "disabled" (though doesn't reach "dying" until -1 HP, as normal).
- arm = drop whatever that arm was holding ; of no use.
- leg = no 5-ft step , speed = 5ft , Balance check (DC 15?? 20??) to remain standing
- head/vital organ = "dazed" ; Fort save or be "stunned"

Complicated Method
Once the victim's limb is at 1/2 threshold, must make a Fort save or be fatigued (if head, also save vs. dazed).  Additionally:
- arm = -2 to relevant attack and damage rolls, and str/dex-based skill and ability checks ;
- leg = reduced to 1/2 speed
Once you have done enough damage to the limb as to render it useless, see above ("simple"), but add save vs. exhausted.  Additionally:
- leg = no move ; Balance check to remain standing

[/spoiler]

Design notes:
[spoiler]
- the purpose of adding the bonuses to the defender's opposed roll was a) it makes sense conceptually, and b) so that it's not so easy as to make it the automatic go-to option
- the purpose of adding the bonuses to hardness was so that it isn't an automatic 1-round game-ender (which would, again, make it an automatic go-to option) -- i.e., you gotta work for it.
- the conditions used are merely used for their mechanical effect ... re-fluff to suit taste.
- setting the save DCs at the threshold seemed like a reasonable spot that naturally scales as the character advances ; the other option of a flat 15 came from the "massive damage" rules .... input please.
- the fluff that I'm trying to model should be pretty obvious.  if not, or if I'm mis-conceptualizing things, let me know.
[/spoiler]

I know it may seem like a lot at first glance; but things should simplify themselves once you get your mind fully wrapped around it and have it fully conceptualized.
Like I said, this is untested, and need refinement.  let me know what you think.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 05:01:50 PM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Called Shots .... version umpteen-million
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 04:27:38 PM »
something else that should be factored in would be size modifiers for smaller targets. So legs would be a bit easier than arms which would be easier than the neck.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 04:42:39 PM »
well, I had thought about that ....
For the sake of simplicity, I figured that the leg-arm difference would be a wash.  going for a leg means that you have to come down low, and therefor easier to read (and, thus, easier to defend).
for head shots, I thought about imposing like a -5, ..... :shrug

as for size modifiers for creature size difference .... larger creatures get already get a +4/category; and a more general size penalty to hit.  do you mean like adding a size bonus for the defender for being a smaller target?  what/how much would be appropriate?

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 04:52:40 PM »
Yes the same as creature size modifiers. The defender would have a bonus to AC of the target based on size. That is one of the few logical ways to adjust it since a called shot is likely targeting an areal with less armor. So lets say that legs would use the size modifier of a creature 1 size smaller, arms somewhere from 1-2 sizes smaller, neck/head would be 2-3, eyes would be 4+ smaller. Minimum of fine since trying to called shot a fly's wings with a weapon bigger than the fly itself is just adding fluff to your badassness.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 05:03:39 PM »
good call.
made adjustments.  thanks.

otherwise, what about any efficacy and/or balance issues?

EDIT: I just realized that this has spell casting implications .... I'm gonna have to sleep on that one.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 05:30:43 PM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 05:35:22 PM »
I would have to run some sample numbers to see how likely hits are but it looks mostly good over all. Here are the other critiques I would include:
1) Always a standard action, this would be the real cost of using called shots.
2) the hardness level could get out of hand quickly making this pretty useless against people with high natural armor and adamantine armor. (off the top of my head a Lich cleric would have a hardness of 40 just with adamantine armor and as low a level as they  could be a lich and afford the armor)
3) Your simple method seems too powerful of results. Probably removing the staggered and disabled would work, otherwise you just do this and win every fight by broken arm/leg.