Author Topic: 10th Level Spell slots and above by level 20  (Read 3312 times)

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
10th Level Spell slots and above by level 20
« on: October 29, 2010, 03:16:09 AM »
These ideas were originally posted on the Chameleon handbook and I wanted some more fed back.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8750.40

The goal is to gain access to spell levels greater than the max level for your class before epic levels.  I and other came across a number of prestige classes that grant bonus spells of any spell level you can currently cast.  Specifically from the SRD:

Dragon disciples gain bonus spells as they gain levels in this prestige class, as if from having a high ability score, as given on Table: The Dragon Disciple. A bonus spell can be added to any level of spells the disciple already has the ability to cast.

The Eunuch Warlock from Oriental Adventures and the Mystic  from dragon mag #274 also gain bonus spells worded as "Similar to bonus spells for high ability scores...", while the Wonder Worker from the Book of exalted deeds gains bonus spells without any reference to ability scores.

Now you can easily gain access to higher level spells through the use of the Versatile Spellcaster Feat as per the  FAQ:

Obviously this works best with heighten spell or a class that knows all the spells on its list like a Beguiler, Chameleon, Dreadnecro, and warmage.  Similarly tricks with Heighten/Earth Spell and Sanctum spell could boost your max spell level.

The Big Question is how do these work together.  Say you have access to 9th level spells and sanctum spell so that your 9th level spells can be bumped up to 10th, then you take a level of one of the above PrC's to gain a bonus spell for any level spell you can cast.  Can you pick a 10th level slot?

First off bonus spells from high ability scores are covered in the SRD:

Abilities And Spellcasters The ability that governs bonus spells depends on what type of spellcaster your character is: Intelligence for wizards; Wisdom for clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers; or Charisma for sorcerers and bards. In addition to having a high ability score, a spellcaster must be of high enough class level to be able to cast spells of a given spell level. 

The bold region could be trouble, but use of the wonderworker completely circumvents this since their bonus spells are not linked to high ability scores in any regard.  The similar to high ability scores classes should also work since the bonus is not tied to your score in any way.

Any takers on this?

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
Re: 10th Level Spell slots and above by level 20
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 03:18:06 AM »
Reserved for build in progress if this works.

The Silver Shadow

Silverbrow Human LN
Human Paragon 1/Dread necromancer 1/ Cleric 1/ Human Paragon 2/ Chameleon 10/ Mystic 5

L1 Spell Focus Transmutation
L1 Able Learner (Human)
L3 Ability Enhancer
L3 Extend Spell (Cleric Planning Domain)
L3 Scribe Scroll (Cleric Rune Domain)
Rebuke Dragons instead of Undead (Cleric Alternative class feature)
L4 Persistent Spell (Paragon)
L6 Divine Metamagic Persistent
L9 Easy Metamagic Persistent
L12 Spell Penetration
L15 Sanctum Spell
L18 Practical Metamagic Persistent

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 03:30:24 AM »
Can we please not do TO stuff like this in this forum?  Seriously?  I mean, I posted a new TO thread just yesterday and it's got about 8 replies.  I know all the cool kids post here, but the other forum isn't dead.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 03:44:00 AM »
Wizard 5/Ultimate Magus 10 gets 9s by about level 12, qualifying for UM by its class and the Spontaneous Divination ACF from Complete Champion. With a little work you can probably start using 10th+ level spells before 17th.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 03:45:33 AM by RelentlessImp »
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 11:20:24 PM »
Ugh.  Wizard 5/UM 10 does not get level 9 spells by level 12; parsimony dictates that double-dipping is not possible.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 12:12:55 AM »
Can we please not do TO stuff like this in this forum?  Seriously?  I mean, I posted a new TO thread just yesterday and it's got about 8 replies.  I know all the cool kids post here, but the other forum isn't dead.

Troll Much?

This is in the same vain as the dirty tricks which are all over this board.  Not to mention the threads about getting 150 feats.  Also I am actually playing a character with 10th level spells and is non-epic (although it is a eldrich master build).

Ugh.  Wizard 5/UM 10 does not get level 9 spells by level 12; parsimony dictates that double-dipping is not possible.

You can very easily max out spells for the Ur-Priest and chameleon by 15th level.  Even core classes like clerics and wizard hit their max at level 17.  A practiced spell caster feat followed by 3 wonder worker levels fit right in for the exalted characters.

I am trying to get feedback on the trick.  I don't think it is anything outlandish unless you try to pair it up with the level 6 divine metamagic Heighten Earth Spell trick for 9th level spells.  So any rules that say this should not work?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 05:40:18 AM »

Troll Much?

This is in the same vain as the dirty tricks which are all over this board.  Not to mention the threads about getting 150 feats.  Also I am actually playing a character with 10th level spells and is non-epic (although it is a eldrich master build).

Yes.  You are very much proving that your thread is, in fact, not TO when you compare it to other threads that are TO.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 04:46:19 PM »

You can very easily max out spells for the Ur-Priest and chameleon by 15th level.  Even core classes like clerics and wizard hit their max at level 17.  A practiced spell caster feat followed by 3 wonder worker levels fit right in for the exalted characters.

Sure.  Fast access isn't what I'm kvetching about; double-dipping to GET fast access is.   Logically, a double-advancement class like UM or MT doesn't grant double caster levels, even if you manage to get into it with a single class--but demonstrating that in depth is tangential to the topic of the thread at hand, so I'll just leave it at that.