Author Topic: Manyshot  (Read 2349 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Manyshot
« on: October 28, 2010, 11:09:42 PM »
Is it me, or is manyshot a really strong feat?

Basically, you get a full attack as a standard action. Except there is only one roll, so you can apply stuff like Smite Evil and Death Attack to every single attack added.

3 Fort saves. Fail one and DIE!

Plus, it can get interesting with Ranged Smite and some way to get Awesome Smite applied, what with the trip attempt and Improved Tripping...

Also, stuff like Hunter's Mercy just get insane. I mean, effectively critting 2-4 times? As a standard action? Too bad you can't really use Aptitude with Snap Kick and Lightneing Mace, or else you would get 4-8 extra attacks. Yeah, I do want 6-12 attacks as a standard action, thank you very much.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

carnivore

• Grape ape
Re: Manyshot
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 11:28:07 PM »
Death attack would not work like that ... it would only apply to the first attack .... since it is a Precision based attack:

Special: Regardless of the number of arrows you fire, you apply precision-based damage only once. If you score a critical hit, only the first arrow fired deals critical damage; all others deal regular damage.

Improved Manyshot is different and would apply it to all attacks ... but they also require separate Attack rolls(and separate Death Attacks)

:D

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 11:28:41 PM »
Sorry, it doesn't work quite that good. Criticals and Sneak Attack only happen once, no matter how many arrows you manyshoot.

Quote from: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#manyshot
Special
Regardless of the number of arrows you fire, you apply precision-based damage only once. If you score a critical hit, only the first arrow fired deals critical damage; all others deal regular damage.

So Hunter's Mercy only criticals one arrow, effectively.
Even if it worked the way you thought it did, Death Attack only gives you one shot at a save or die for every 3 round study period, no matter how many times you sneak attack them afterwards.
Smite Evil works off the attack, not the arrow, so it would only add its damage once, as well. I may be wrong about that, though, as the wording is just vague enough.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 11:34:08 PM »
I asked elsewhere, and I was told Manyshot multiplied the damage from the Smite.

I forgot about the section on precision damage. Darn.

Looks like the feat is only good for saving actions, then.

I'm gonna check Improved Manyshot.

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

carnivore

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 11:35:37 PM »
Manyshot would be useful for the Smite Attack... since it is only One Attack roll, the Smite would apply to All Arrow

:D

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 11:45:04 PM »
Manyshot is good if you have a means of getting extra standard actions: factotum8 or swiftblade9 for example.

It also works well with non-precision sources of damage: knowledge devotion and smites for example.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 11:51:42 PM »
You can also get an extra attack by abusing Awesome Smite+Improved Trip, which sadly only works if you have Hank's Energy Bow; I would love it if someone could stat out a price for that Power Shot feature...

Any other ways to boost # of attacks with Manyshot?

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 11:53:23 PM »
True Strike. Also IIRC Psionic Shot and Greater Psionic Shot work.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 11:55:17 PM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 11:58:11 PM »
You can also use that psionic feat that makes your next ranged attack a ranged touch attack...

And then use your move action to recover it.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 11:58:58 PM »
Awesome Smite
Doesn't work. Hank's Bow doesn't have Power Attack.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 12:04:18 AM »
Hmm...yes, Fell Shot works. Psionic Shot seems less likely.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 12:19:37 AM »
Awesome Smite
Doesn't work. Hank's Bow doesn't have Power Attack.

Awww...

Does anyone have a roughly equivalent feat you could get your DM to accept as a replacement? Maybe Gunslinger from IK...

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 12:29:15 AM »
The Impaling weapon property gives three touch attacks/day. And heck, even Shadowstrike works, extending the reach of your bow by 5 ft and denying them Dex to AC in the process. :lol