Author Topic: Wizard vs Wizard!  (Read 8955 times)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Wizard vs Wizard!
« on: October 28, 2010, 07:33:04 PM »
The rules are simple. One Wizard must only use spells from core. The other Wizard must not use any spells from core.

I'm not interested in making either one of them, so you guys work out the rest. :P
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Wizard vs Wizard!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 07:37:26 PM »
Non-Core Wizard wins by virtue of having Celerity and the nature of Rocket Tag.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 07:39:13 PM »
Core Wizard wins with CoP. End of fucking story. And no, I don't want to have an argument about how powerful CoP is. Or what could block it. Because nothing can.

Unless there is a way to CoP out of core.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 07:57:48 PM »
Non-core wizard wins by living a full life, free from the drudgery of casting CoP 10,000 times a week.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 08:21:25 PM »

The only thing I can think of is to somehow gain access to the supernatural abilities of an elemental weird (Monster Manual II).  You could acquire the elemental type, wear a skin of Proteus (with boosted manifester level), and take either metamorphic transfer or assume supernatural ability. 

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 08:51:25 PM »

The only thing I can think of is to somehow gain access to the supernatural abilities of an elemental weird (Monster Manual II).  You could acquire the elemental type, wear a skin of Proteus (with boosted manifester level), and take either metamorphic transfer or assume supernatural ability. 

This is what the Core Wizard does, by Shapechanging into an Elemental Weird and getting at-will Contact Other Plane. I suppose with a Shapechange effect out of Core he could do the same thing... isn't there a Wu Jen Elemental Body or something that does this? Immediately boosting the non-Core to utilizing the same tactic.
Solo on Essentials

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:16:05 PM »
Then they both have CoP and it's a theoretical tie. A better question might be Core vs World and Non-Core vs World, what's more powerful?

You'd have to ban workarounds to achieve core material though.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 09:19:41 PM »
Why not make things interesting and limit polymorph forms to core-only for the Core Wizard and non-Core for the Other Wizard? Since the whole point is to (dis)prove Core > Splat, shape-changing into non-Core things is not a constructive argument.

Magic items...guess both should be just DMG (and maybe MIC), just to keep things simple/sane. Banning anything that emulates a spell effect (candle of invocation...), just to make the Wizards use their spells, though wands/staves should be fine as long as you stick to spells you would be allowed to learn under the challenge.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 09:20:02 PM »
A note on Celerity, a Wizard can't normally use it in the first round. The most obvious ways around that are Foresight, and Shape Changing into a Minotaur. Which are both core of course.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 09:28:49 PM »
A note on Celerity, a Wizard can't normally use it in the first round. The most obvious ways around that are Foresight, and Shape Changing into a Minotaur. Which are both core of course.
Less obvious ways include a Weapon of Legacy.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 09:39:35 PM »
And since that's one of the few really good things a legacy weapon can do...

Hmm. What ways are there for the non-Core wizard to become a Dire Tortoise?

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 10:02:59 PM »
And since that's one of the few really good things a legacy weapon can do...

Hmm. What ways are there for the non-Core wizard to become a Dire Tortoise?
Draconic Polymorph, but you don't even get (Ex) abilities with that.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 11:08:52 PM »
Of course, Core has Plane Shift + Genesis, Astral Projection and Simulacrum.  You can attack with an army of yourself, have extra lives, and replenish spell slots at the cost of a single Plane Shift.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 11:12:36 PM »
Of course, Core has Plane Shift + Genesis, Astral Projection and Simulacrum.  You can attack with an army of yourself, have extra lives, and replenish spell slots at the cost of a single Plane Shift.

How do you replenish your slots with Plane Shift?  :o

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 11:21:02 PM »

Genesis can make a flowing time plane. Make one so that 24 hours on your demiplane is equal to an arbitrarily small amount of time on the plane you'll be fighting on. Plane Shift to your demiplane, rest up, and return in the same round.

On a side note, that's actually within the domain of the non-core wizard. Genesis is non-core, even though it's from the SRD (it's from Deities and Demigods, not PHB, DMG, or MM1).
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 11:27:07 PM »

Genesis can make a flowing time plane. Make one so that 24 hours on your demiplane is equal to an arbitrarily small amount of time on the plane you'll be fighting on. Plane Shift to your demiplane, rest up, and return in the same round.

On a side note, that's actually within the domain of the non-core wizard. Genesis is non-core, even though it's from the SRD (it's from Deities and Demigods, not PHB, DMG, or MM1).

Worth noting, the psionic equivalent doesn't let you do that, but the spell does.
Solo on Essentials

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 11:48:31 PM »
Well son of a bitch.  I've been using the SRD for so long I forgot it isn't in the PHB.

So I guess non-core guy has unlimited spells and core guy has unlimited duplicates. :p
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 11:53:40 PM »
You don't need to make your own (demi)plane.  Instead, go to a published plane where time moves faster.  The only way you can do this in core is if your DM lets you find a plane where time moves faster.  The rules for creating planes is on Dungeon Master's Guide 168.

Some core planes are of interest.  The Abyss may have a place where time flows backwards, should you need it.  Also, the Astral Plane is timeless.  Heroic Domains of Ysgard is just cool.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 12:00:55 AM by Endarire »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 10:34:54 AM »
Depends on the level.
In low levels fights, I'd think the core wizard would win. In high it would probably be a tie due to the fact wizards can everything. Core or Non-Core.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 01:11:43 PM »
Genesis is also in the ELH, so, depending on if you consider the ELH core the core-only wizard could use it (or not). ELH seems to fit with core moreso than non-core, as it touches epic progressions for only core classes and prestige classes.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]