Author Topic: Arena Cleric, any "real"3.5 book open  (Read 4061 times)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: Arena Cleric, any "real"3.5 book open
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 06:58:29 PM »
The spell Shroud of Undeath is a single-use turning/rebuking immunity.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 07:04:13 PM »
Cool; thanks!  Good spell for a scroll, I think.

genuine

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 07:05:08 PM »
Definitely out.  That got ruled early.

So, Necropolitan would give me immunities, mainly, but cost a level.  I can do it later.  Currently, I'm among the highest levels for Clerics, so a Cleric would really have to want to turn me and build for it to get me really bad.
Not really - of the four highest level characters in the arena, two are full classed clerics and a third has cleric levels (though admittedly cleric levels will probably be less then helpful with a turn attempt).

Also, keep in mind that in this arena, Necropolitan effectively means the loss of 2 levels (1 level lost, plus another 1k exp). Furthermore, our DM still hasn't ruled on them (despite being asked); not that it's been asked much - I don't think many are interested in losing a hard-won level in addition to the cash.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 12:33:34 AM »
Given retraining, there's no reason to not spend your feats on what's useful now.

I'd recommend Law Devotion instead of Shield Ward.  Even Chaos Devotion can be pretty good if you're not lawful, cast when you get the Defensive boost and smack the guy when you get the offensive one.  Either way, the AC bonuses provided applies vs. touch AC.  I'd also recommend re-training Death Devotion, although I don't have a recommendation for what to trade it for.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 10:16:19 AM »
OH, yeah, Law Devotion is way better in this environment.  I'll definitely train for that.  Kind of wanted the Envy domain this next level, but I guess that one is better (I've got debuffs out the wazoo already).

Death Devotion has been pretty kick ass, though.  It nearly always works.  Two shenanigans I've used:
1.  Debuff enemy at range.  Cast True Strike from Domain slot.  Channel Death Devotion into club.  Throw club and give a negative level.  (The feat doesn't require a melee attack, just a melee weapon).
2.  Debuff enemy with high AC.  Channel Death Devotion into Gauntlets.  Initiate grapple vs. touch AC.  Give negative level.  (The feat doesn't require damage, either, just a successful attack.)
I'll retrain it away when its clear that fort saves are way too high to use it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 12:54:06 PM by jameswilliamogle »