Author Topic: Ranger Fighting Style: Is it really a choice?  (Read 3809 times)

clarkcd

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Da Man
Ranger Fighting Style: Is it really a choice?
« on: July 04, 2008, 04:33:08 PM »
So I finally got my books yesterday and I started whipping up my first character for the campaign we hope to start shortly.  I decided to play a ranger since I've always liked the flavor of the ranger and it seems they finally took the magic out of my outdoorsy fighter.  I was chugging along when I got to the Fighting Style section.  Is this really a choice for anyone?

Why would I take Archer Fighting Style even if I was going to play an archer?  So I can get a feat that doesn't sound like it will help that much or I can take Two-Blade Fighting Style and get a feat that doesn't sound like it will help that much and get an ability you can get no where else.

So I ask again, is this really a choice for anyone?
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

Grade 'A' pain in the neck arrogance brought to you by Da Man.

Da Man Has Spoken

Banor

• Curious George
Re: Ranger Fighting Style: Is it really a choice?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 08:23:35 PM »
Battlefield archer and Beaststalker are vastly superior to TWF paragon path. Actually Battlefield archer alone make Archery style good.

clarkcd

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Da Man
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 10:45:36 PM »
I hadn't even noticed that the Paragon paths are determined by which fighting style you choose.  Hmm...
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

Da Man Has Spoken

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • For My Mother: An Internet Serial
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 02:44:51 PM »
Battlefield archer and Beaststalker are vastly superior to TWF paragon path. Actually Battlefield archer alone make Archery style good.

I dunno if I'd say "vastly superior."  Someone ran the numbers on the Board We Don't Mention and STormwarden had top honors for pretty much all the time.
Anyway, this cake is great!  It's so delicious and moist.

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 11:39:58 PM »
Hum, I guess that I should go take a look, Stormwarden doesn't look that impressive. Again no number ran but I get that the autohit dex damage can add up quite a bit.

Still Elven Ranger with BFA is a quite reliable very long range damage source.

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 12:53:13 AM »
So's twin scimitars with Scimitar Dance.  That way you're dealing damage every time you make an attack.

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

Banor

• Curious George
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 01:31:29 AM »
Yeah, haven't thought of that. It does make the stormwarden much more interesting. Downside is that you have to be a Ranger with Dual scimitar. While quite nice for 4E, it suffer from an heavy stigma in my gaming group :D I kinda like Pit Fighter for a TWF Ranger too. WIS to damage is nothing to scuff at

clarkcd

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Da Man
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 03:00:15 AM »
Stormwarden really caught my eye.  One question about it though, does anyone know if Blade Storm and Twin Blade Storm stack?

Da Man Has Spoken

Khaim

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 10:12:40 AM »
Stormwarden really caught my eye.  One question about it though, does anyone know if Blade Storm and Twin Blade Storm stack?

They do.

Also, Toughness is not a feat that "won't help you very much". It's actually fairly good, considering the low power of feats in 4e.

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 12:18:22 PM »
And the relatively low HP gained at each level versus 3.X.

Winter

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 04:30:37 AM »
Stormwarden might do the most DPR, but that doesn't necessarily make it the best.

In my opinion, Battlefield Archer is the strongest Ranger Paragon Path. Actually, Pathfinder is pretty good too if you ask me. Stormwarden is the clear master of DPR, though, and maybe the "default" ranger path. (Well, i think Pit Fighter does even more damage...)

If you don't take an archery Ranger Paragon Path i think you want twf style even if you're an archer.

AngelBlade

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 09:06:24 PM »
don't have my book with me, but there are also two new paragon paths for the ranger in the FRPG, for twf and archer respectively. haven't ran the numbers but now you have even more options.  : )

AngelBlade

Warlawk

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 04:48:21 AM »
While at first glance it does appear to be a no brainer to take the two weapon style, there is more to it as people have already said. Some of the PP do require archery style and can be really fantastic in play. Archer rangers are superb for taking out enemy back line support types as well as destroying lurkers that try to kill your own support types. Both styles are excellent, TWF does pull slightly into the lead in terms of DPR, but it is not a huge difference and the archer does have a bit more versatility in targeting choices as well as being generally more survivable by being in the back line instead of the thick of melee.

The long and short... both are great for different things. Battlefield archer is fantastic.

Skeeve

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Who's Better than Kanyon?
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 12:33:21 PM »
Also, one of the new multiclass feats in Martial Power lets you take the Ranger's two-weapon style as a benefit.