Author Topic: Need Cleric Spells  (Read 3694 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Need Cleric Spells
« on: October 23, 2010, 05:24:26 AM »
So tonight was one of the most epic fights ever for the campaign I'm in. My ranger was absolutely destroyed, and is currently on death's door, because a CE deity with an AC of 56 is taking us down. But, we have hope. Despite the fact that none of us can hit that AC right now, we have various characters from previous sessions, and campaigns, helping us out. One of them will be my character's father. He's a rage cleric/barbarian/contemplative/sacred exorcist. He's not super high level, but he's got 7th level spells, and it's all we've got for a cleric. He's also got the Good and Protection domains, and Corellon's holy symbol from Complete Champion.

What I need are spells. Lots of spells. Good spells that'll take that bastard down. Right now, anyone who he hasn't taken down (he gets eight attacks a round), has been made insane. I need to counteract that, and get everyone healed up as best as I can. I've already looked through the cleric handbook, but those are more generalized. This is a specific battle against the god of chaotic evil itself.

Don't worry about spells like Owl's Wisdom, or Bull's Strength. He's got a Belt of Magnificence +6. Thankfully he's got a 30 WIS so he won't run out of spells that quickly.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Need Cleric Spells
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 06:06:32 AM »
Fill the level 4 slots with revenance and revivify

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 06:09:13 AM »
Fill the level 4 slots with revenance and revivify
Unfortunately, those spells aren't allowed. Any spell that can bring someone back from the dead, are banned. This includes Resurrection, Reincarnation, and other such spells.

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 06:42:11 AM »
-What are the cleric's feats, things like metamagic will be useful to know about.
-What books are allowed? All of them? Cause if so, there are some super-obscure spells I can help with.
-If by insane you mean the spell, and thus the confused status, Clarity of Mind in Kingdoms of Kalamar, Holy Orders of The Stars will be useful. It auto-dispels the confused condition. If not, you may have to cast calm emotions instead.
-Celestial Brilliance isn't all that powerful, but it has a superlong duration so he can just have it precast for 2d6 damage per round to him for little to no resources. Depending on the cheese level you can even have had him spent the entire previous day of spell slots casting it, for a retarded amount of d6s of damage. Just don't waste his current spell slots on it, cause it's easily countered by darkness spells.
-How much prep-rounds can he have? Can he have spells pre-cast?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 06:49:41 AM »
-What are the cleric's feats, things like metamagic will be useful to know about.
-What books are allowed? All of them? Cause if so, there are some super-obscure spells I can help with.
-If by insane you mean the spell, and thus the confused status, Clarity of Mind in Kingdoms of Kalamar, Holy Orders of The Stars will be useful. It auto-dispels the confused condition. If not, you may have to cast calm emotions instead.
-Celestial Brilliance isn't all that powerful, but it has a superlong duration so he can just have it precast for 2d6 damage per round to him for little to no resources. Depending on the cheese level you can even have had him spent the entire previous day of spell slots casting it, for a retarded amount of d6s of damage. Just don't waste his current spell slots on it, cause it's easily countered by darkness spells.
-How much prep-rounds can he have? Can he have spells pre-cast?
Power attack, Rage casting, improved disarm, combat reflexes, combat expertise, improved initiative, improved bullrush, practiced spellcaster, sacred healing. Metamagic feats are given to the caster for free, but you're only allowed X number per day, and you have to be a particular spell caster level. Having the spell slots open doesn't mean you can necessarily cast it.
Pretty much all of them except the 3.0 books, Eberron, and FR books.
Yes, insanity as in confusion.
No prep rounds. No pre-cast spells. You're summoned, and go.

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 07:06:05 AM »
Right, that removes a lot of options. Clarity of Mind is out, so have him cast Sonorous Hum combined with Calm Emotions, preferably one of them quickened. That frees up many of the other characters. Are there any more characters of note that can help out?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 07:13:31 AM »
Right, that removes a lot of options. Clarity of Mind is out, so have him cast Sonorous Hum combined with Calm Emotions, preferably one of them quickened. That frees up many of the other characters. Are there any more characters of note that can help out?
At the moment, no. All the effective characters have been rendered unconscious or killed. Or, they're confused. We've still got a whole bunch of random people that'll be showing up, who'll be between CR 1 and CR 23 so it's anyone's game. I don't even know when this character will be in the game. It's whenever we pick him out of the hat. He's got like two boxes of minis for us to choose from.

BTW, the deity is Colossal-sized, and has a vorpal greatsword to kill us all with. Not to mention the SR is really high.

I was thinking of getting the Lower SR spell would be a good add-on. I was told that a heal spell was pretty much the only way to get around the confusion spell. So far he doesn't like getting hit with sonic and force.

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 07:41:59 AM »
Alter Fortune will be useful since the character's only going to be appearing once, so you can afford to burn his XP.
Check with your DM if only heal works because of some deific power or is it just because the DM doesn't know about any spells that stop confusion.

Surge of Fortune might be a good idea too.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 10:54:30 AM »
+1 on Alter Fortune and Surge of Fortune.

I'd try to get the Envy Domain.  Limited Wish is pretty handy for lowering saves.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 02:26:56 PM »
Surge of Fortune I can use, Alter Fortune is an XP cost so I can't use it. He's house ruled that all XP costing spells cost you XP x 5 gold instead, and the character doesn't have 1000 gold.

There's no way to get the Envy domain. Corellon is the deity.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 01:02:32 PM »
The game's this Friday. I need the spells by then. I've looked at the handbook again, but it's just generalized spells.

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 02:41:10 PM »
Yeah the handbook is good for very, VERY general purposes, I'm finding.  I'm running a Cleric in an arena game right now, and although I'm doing pretty well, there's very little listed in the way of spells.

Avoid direct damaging spells.  Turn those normal attacks into touch attacks: Brilliant Aura is pretty damn good for that (Cleric 8).  Mass Death Ward, too.  Get a Hound Archon to just "hang out" for the Magic Circle.  You could also use Greater Planar Exchange to avoid being hit :D.

I'd say debuff first, then get all sorts of stuff going, but from personal experience this doesn't really work very effectively on the deity-level end bosses.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 02:44:37 PM by jameswilliamogle »

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 03:04:58 PM »
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 03:12:16 PM »
This is what I've got so far:

0th 6 (or 3 at-will) - Detect Magic, Virtue, Create Water
1st 8+1 - Divine Favor, Lesser Vigor, Protection from Evil* (+1 CL), Conviction (+1 CL), Bless, Faith Healing, Obscuring Mist
2nd 8+1 - Spiritual Weapon, Living Undeath, Aid* (+1 CL), Alicorn Lance, Close Wounds, Divine Protection, Light of Mercuria,
3rd 7+1 - Mass Lesser Vigor, Fell the Greatest Foe, Mass Conviction (+1 CL), Protection from Energy* (+1 CL), Holy Storm x2, Mass Aid (+1 CL), Dispel Shield (+1 CL)
4th 7+1 - Divine Power, Mystic Aegis, Holy Smite* (+1 CL), Celestial Brilliance (+1 CL), Assay Spell Resistance, Lower Spell Resistance x2,
5th 5+1 - Spell Resistance* (+1 CL), Divine Retribution (+1 CL), Righteous Might, Greater Blindsight, Vulnerability x2?,
6th 5+1 - Spiritual Guardian, Visage of the Deity, Blade Barrier* (+1 CL), Heal, Vengeance Halo (+1 CL), Greater Dispel Magic (+1 CL)
7th 3+1 - Holy Transformation, Righteous Burst (15 gold), Repulsion* (+1 CL), Mass Cure Serious Wounds

Good and Protection (Protection or abjuration cast at +1 CL)

The deity has SR 36, AC 52 (56 against good aligned), and eight attacks per round. Not sure about the dispelling ability, unless you mean does it have "at-will"? In which case, yes. There's a couple of spells I'm taking more than once. I have to buff whoever I can, and heal everyone, including my character. This is of course whether or not this character even gets to play. It's all random as to who shows up.

I've got Slippery Mind, so I'm not immune, but I've got multiple chances. He won't grapple me so Freedom of Movement isn't needed. He's got a colossal-sized greatsword and another greatsword of dancing. He just wants to slash you all to hell. He hasn't even begun trying yet. Once he does a blasphemy, we're all goners. The DM hasn't even gotten serious yet because he's taken minimal damage, and regens at 20.

The_Laughing_Man

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 04:12:19 PM »
fortunate fate 7 lv, spell compendium, continue fighting after death. Although I'm not sure you want use your 7 lv slot for this.

You could also check these two threads:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=391.0
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9207.0

I hope this helps.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 04:14:34 PM »
fortunate fate 7 lv, spell compendium, continue fighting after death. Although I'm not sure you want use your 7 lv slot for this.
That would be awesome if I had a minute to cast it. I'll check out the threads.

The_Laughing_Man

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 04:39:13 PM »
Dang, I missed that you can't buff before the battle.

Perhaps this would be useful for you:
Mark of Doom, PHB2, 3 lv, no SR, no save, 1 round/lv, subject takes 1d6 unspecified damage from each hostile action, which I think the deity is doing pretty much.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 04:40:48 PM »
Dang, I missed that you can't buff before the battle.

Perhaps this would be useful for you:
Mark of Doom, PHB2, 3 lv, no SR, no save, 1 round/lv, subject takes 1d6 unspecified damage from each hostile action, which I think the deity is doing pretty much.
That doesn't sound bad at all.

EDIT: Can't use it. Character is CG and enemy is CE. According to how the spell's written, they have to be LE, or NE. Now I'm wishing he was NG.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 04:46:17 PM by kevin_video »

The_Laughing_Man

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 05:43:41 PM »
Too bad :( Maximized version would have been good. Think of the consequences when deities crosses each other :D

Anyhow I find the example part in the spell description contradicting the previous sentence. I think CG is opposed to NG, LG, NE and CE because the description talks about axes.

Mark of Doom
[spoiler]
Necromancy
Level: Cleric 3, paladin 2
Component: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
With a mighty invocation to your deity,
you mark a creature as a target of your holy
judgment. The ground shakes, the air grows
still, and all wild animals in the air become
suddenly quiet and fearful as your deity
passes judgment upon the target.
This spell marks an opponent as an
enemy of your faith, one who must pay
for his transgressions. As long as the
subject insists on fighting, it suffers
divine punishment from your deity.
The subject of this spell takes 1d6
points of damage each time it casts a
spell that causes damage or disables
a creature, makes a melee or ranged
attack, or uses spell-like or supernatural
abilities to harm other creatures.
For example, a chaotic good
cleric can place a mark of doom upon a
lawful good, lawful evil, or neutral evil
opponent. A neutral caster can use this
spell against any good, evil, lawful, or
chaotic foe.[/spoiler]

Can you teleport or plane shift out after being summoned to buff up? I suppose not but if it is possible then you could return in fighting condition.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 06:11:13 PM »
Yeah I noticed that too. If I can get the NG Pious Templar up from being unconscious, the spell will still work, it'll just be used by him instead of the cleric. I'll be using a Mass Heal scroll to do that.

No, no teleporting or plane shifting after you're in. And plane shifting is an illegal spell/not quite banned spell. You have to have a separate tuning fork that can allow you to go from plane to plane. You can't just go "I'm plane shifting here" whenever you feel like it.