Author Topic: Shadow's Edge  (Read 6193 times)

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
Re: Shadow's Edge
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 04:21:37 AM »
3.X or 4E, Balthanon?

Whoops! That's important.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

bayar

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 07:49:14 AM »

Balthanon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Lands Beyond Reality...
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 09:39:12 PM »
My play experiences with 4th Edition so far haven't given me enough confidence in the system to run a long term campaign setting in it yet, so 3.5 at this point.  I haven't DM'd a 4th edition setting online yet though, so I'm interested in seeing how that plays out.  (I had a thread on the WotC boards to try it, but it didn't receive much attention and hasn't gotten off the ground.)

4th edition could technically be run by DMs with the characters in the setting, but you would more or less be redoing the characters stats.  All it would ultimately save you is creating a backstory and history for the character-- which isn't necessarily inconsiderable. 

Perhaps when the FRCS comes out in... next month?  (Jeeze, time is flying by way too quickly this summer.)  For some of the longer lived characters, that 100 years they're supposed to be fast forwarding isn't all that much.  It could be interesting to see some of the 1st-5th level characters adventuring a 100 years down the road in the paragon or epic tiers, being suitably vague about what happened in Shadow's Edge in the mean time.

I've also been meaning to reassure those who showed interest that I am still planning on doing this, work has just gotten very heavy lately and time is at a premium at the moment.

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 09:59:35 PM »
I'm trying to use that Monstrous feat, but it's hard when you don't know the ECL we're starting at (LA buyoff is also a bit relevant). It obviously wants to be on something of a "face" character, but Warlock, Swordsage, Warblade and Totemist are the four classes that can get Scent easily, and they make poor faces. Also, I'd like to get Survival into the mix for tracking. Wilderness Rogue would probably be perfect if I can get permanent Scent from a race.

Anyone got any ideas?
I know gameology-fu.

Balthanon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 01:16:20 AM »
Starting ECLs would probably range from about 1 to 10, with a preference for the lower side of that range, since 10 is where the original nobles started.  Adventuring in the area would obviously be very non-linear and site based, so there is room for a variety of levels to solve problems in different areas. 

If we have DMs who want to run higher level campaigns, we could start expanding on that, but for the nature of the campaign, getting too high is going to make it a little too easy to "fix" the area.  As is, avoiding instant wealth generation tricks would definitely make the game interesting for more people over a longer time period.  The overall "goal" for the campaign would be to help the economy recover, protect the area from the dangers in the border, and then build Shadow's Edge and the surrounding area up.

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 02:28:29 AM »
It's just a bit of a difference between 1st and 3rd when you're trying to use Scent Reading. Very few ways to get Scent don't either eat a class level to no other benefit, or have a level adjustment or RHD. I take it LA buyoff is on a DM-by-DM basis.

Can anyone think of a good way to use Scent Reading?
I know gameology-fu.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 09:27:24 AM »
Doesn't one of the Shifter types gain Scent while shifted? 0 ECL there

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 09:52:25 AM »
Doesn't one of the Shifter types gain Scent while shifted? 0 ECL there
Wildhunt. And I'm looking for a bit more than 1/day. The build is much more likely to be feat-starved than feat-rich.

ATM I'm looking at Human Swordsage with Track, Apprentice (Woodsman) and the Hunter's Sense stance when out of combat. Unfortunately, Swordsages make hopeless party faces, so all I'll be doing is saying "he's lying" a lot. I'd really like to execute this a bit better.

Scent isn't even that brilliant an ability, but it's bloody hard to get as a PC.
I know gameology-fu.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 10:07:30 AM »
Wildhunt. And I'm looking for a bit more than 1/day.

Ah, yea, a low Con'll make it that.

And yea, Scent is a pain in the ass, but that's because it is quite powerful if you don't mind spending 3 feats on it.

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 10:12:50 AM »
Wildhunt. And I'm looking for a bit more than 1/day.

Ah, yea, a low Con'll make it that.

And yea, Scent is a pain in the ass, but that's because it is quite powerful if you don't mind spending 3 feats on it.
Which feats?

You can get it for two, but a five-feat build doesn't come together quickly.
I know gameology-fu.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 10:37:35 AM »
Improved and Uncanny Scent from SS.

Imp increases the range of all the stuff that's normally 30' out to 60'. Strong scents at 120' instead of 60'. Overpowering at 180' instead of 90'.

Uncanny lets you pinpoint with Scent at 20' range.

And somewhere, if I recall correctly, there's another to make actively using scent only take a move action.

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 11:13:26 AM »
The only thing I can find is Half-Troll (Fiend Folio), and it's LA +4. I'm almost interested in trying to homebrew a "troll-blooded" template, with, say, 1 HP per hour healing, sane ability mods, only a +1 or +2 Nat Armor, and no natural attacks or Rend. +2 Strength, +2 Con, -2 Int, +1 NA, Scent doesn't seem overpowered at LA +1.

Still, it may be a bit much for a persistent world that isn't mine. I can look at other characters.
I know gameology-fu.

Balthanon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2008, 02:40:01 PM »
I've never been fond of LA buyoff personally--for 3000 xp you can get stat boosts that would cost you 30,000 XP or more with Wish.  (Or an equivalent level of gold.)  In the "base" setting it probably wouldn't exist, same with flaws.

If you're having difficulty creating the character at 1st, then make him at 3rd.  :)  By range from 1-10, I meant that-- there would be players who are 1st level adventuring in the area and there will be those who are 10th.  If 3rd level is where your build starts getting interesting, then go with that.

The other option might be taking Scent as a feat-- I know that was an option in 3.0 for half-orcs and gnomes, I don't recall if it was reprinted in 3.5.  A rogue/swordsage could qualify as a party face pretty easily and utilize the feat as well.

Edit:  Updated the first post with the current list of interested parties, DMs and players.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 02:58:17 PM by Balthanon »

bayar

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2008, 04:31:13 PM »
Meh, whatever. All I want to play is a Kobold druid that uses Disguise to pose as a half halfling/half human.

And there is a 1st level personal spel (aspect of the wolf) that transforms you into a wolf with scent and stuff...

Pan-Fried Hamster

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2008, 04:40:16 PM »
Just as fair warning, I've never DM'd before.  I may take some time to find the right monster/environment power level to challenge my players, so bear with me if things seem too easy at first.

Balthanon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2008, 08:09:05 PM »
This is probably a good way to ease into DMing, since you can draw on the other DMs for advice or assistance.

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2008, 08:23:45 PM »
For 3rd level, it's possible to execute the character without shooting myself in the foot. Just.

Human Rogue 1/Ranger 1/Swordsage 1 with Able Learner is a decent face, a reasonable tracker, and qualifies for Scent Reading at 3rd, all while not being useless in combat. I think that counts as a success.
I know gameology-fu.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 12:30:25 AM »
Remove me from the list for now. I've got too much stuff to do to join any more games. But if recruiting ever opens again in the future, you can be sure I'll join.

Balthanon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2008, 12:40:12 AM »
It will be intended as an open game, though there are obviously limits on what one DM can handle.  So when it gets off the ground, it should be fairly open to new characters.

Pan-Fried Hamster

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 01:08:14 AM »
I can only speak for myself, but as a neophyte, I'd prefer to deal with 2-4 people.  A larger party would probably be a bit much to handle.

That said, I've really been itching to write lately--I've only just recently realized it's what's keeping me obsessively checking for new posts.  I want to get into something meaty, dripping with scenery and richness, so if you give me a regional area or a group to follow, I'll happily set to work worldcrafting.