Author Topic: Shadow's Edge  (Read 6196 times)

Balthanon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Lands Beyond Reality...
    • Email
Shadow's Edge
« on: July 04, 2008, 12:26:33 PM »
I was wondering if there would be any interest if I opened up Shadow's Edge here on Brilliant Gameologists.  The format for play by post here actually conforms well to my original vision of the game, which was more of a freeform site based campaign setting where characters would adventure between adventures. 

For those who aren't familiar with it, it was (and is, the original adventure is still up and running) the first CO Play by Post campaign to get off the ground.  And the first thread, Gift of Nobility maintained the highest views on the Real Adventures boards for nearly two years straight, despite being discontinued at 600 or so posts.  Each thread in the adventure which came out of Shadow's Edge has claimed that #1 spot for at least awhile before being archived as well.

I'm not entirely sure that I would have the time to fully maintain yet another full adventure on my own, but this was originally envisioned as more of a shared setting in which many DMs can run adventures.  It would allow players to maintain characters which DMs could then tap when they require new blood or replacements without needing to go through extensive recruiting.  The local area had its fair share of problems as well and the original group of nobles, particularly Snow Savant, were dedicated to rebuilding the economy and military of the border province they had been granted.  So those who just wanted to stick around Shadow's Edge and help maintain the area could do just that if they wanted.

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing from both players and DMs about whether they would be interested in something like this-- there is definitely some history to draw on and it is something I have talked about with players in the past.

Interested Parties:

Players:
 - NineInchNail
 - Smudgyhandsman?
 - Straw_Man
 - Dictum Mortuum
 - PhoenixInferno?
 - EjoThims
 - AlisAtAn
 - Stratovarius
 - Detective Jabsco
 - JanusJones
 - TheWordSlinger
 - bayar
 - Callix

DMs:
 - Pan-Fried Hamster
 - Prime32?
 - bayar
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 02:57:31 PM by Balthanon »

NineInchNall

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • I am NOT a cat.
    • Email
Re: Shadow's Edge
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 01:54:49 PM »
That's a fairly ambitious goal you have there, Balthanon.  A shared setting in a play-by-post setting?  Wow.

Yeah, I'd be down for that.

Pan-Fried Hamster

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 02:44:25 PM »
Wow.  That sounds fascinating, and a really interesting way to run a persistent world, since having multiple DMs running multiple story arcs would really enrich the feel of the setting as a whole.

I'm definitely interested.  Would you want a newbie DM?  Never done it (at all--face to face or PbP), but I'd be interested in trying.  Just slice me off a bit of rural farmland so I can start small with goblin problems and the like.

Out of curiosity, how would house rules, banned material, etc be decided?  DM council sort of thing that establishes global rules?

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 03:33:06 PM »
Hmmm, lots of reading to do. So I can't say I'm joining yet as I haven't read all of the details, but my interest has be caught.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 03:41:27 PM »

I'm interested as well.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Balthanon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 04:00:16 PM »
For individual adventures, particularly those that leave the area of Shadow's Edge entirely, I would say the DM running the adventure can introduce any particular house rules or ban/reintroduce particular material if they wanted.  Most players aren't going to mind tweaking their builds if they're particularly interested in a given adventure and once the adventure is over, they can come back to the fold with a few more tweaks.

Overall, we would probably want to keep house rules to a minimum within the general setting and area to provide a base line for DMs and players.  When I'm running CO oriented games, I typically follow that course as a rule of thumb.  The type of house rules that I do use for my standard games are listed here.  The biggest impact any of the actual changes (versus new content) have is probably the restriction on metamagic cost substitution.  

That said, given that 3.5 is no longer supported, it could be interesting down the road to maintain some enhancements to older material to bring it in line with the final elements of 3.5.  (Or potentially new content.)  In my regular games, I have integrated a lot of Tome of Battle into older material that otherwise wouldn't be used for instance.

If something like that was done, a DM council (and possibly some of the more knowledgeable CO members to review if they were interested) would be required to maintain balance.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 04:03:59 PM by Balthanon »

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 05:04:34 PM »
I'm interested, too :D
I've played in similar adventures as well, but never by post. It was an awesome experience :D
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
While interested, I think I'll sit this one out for the time being. Although I'll keep my eye on it because it sounds so interesting, so maybe I'll be able to help out in the future.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 05:32:15 PM »
Kinda like RPGA, that's awesome.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 05:51:09 PM »
Sounds cool. We could get a subforum to detail the shared setting and its current state, and set "approved DMs" as mods who update the details regularly to relect campaign events.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 11:04:53 PM »
I'd be interested in tossing my hat in as a player, as this sounds mighty entertaining.

But I've got a bit too much goin on to pick up DMing anything ATM.

AlisAtAn

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 07:24:03 AM »
I`d be very interested in playing.  :smirk
Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 09:16:33 AM »
Certainly caught my eye, although as a player.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

Balthanon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 05:48:52 PM »
Looks like there is interest-- I'll put something together over the next few days/week and once I'm a bit more organized put in the request in the games thread.

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 12:24:23 AM »
This sound Dope, I'm in.

JanusJones

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 07:51:34 PM »
<raises hand>

As a player, however.  Would be happy to provide SQUADS of PCs to interested DMs who wanted NPCs, tho.

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 12:59:47 AM »
Yet another interested player throwing his hat in the ring.... 
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

bayar

• Email
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 11:43:51 AM »
Interested. As a player and a DM. Just hope that no one will turn kobolds into mooks... :P

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 03:04:26 AM »
Something about this setting makes me want to try a Warlock with Serpent Tongue (CMage) and the Scent/Sense Motive feat. Interested as a player.
I know gameology-fu.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 04:11:05 AM »
3.X or 4E, Balthanon?