Author Topic: Any fans of "Fighting Fantasy" gamebooks here?  (Read 2973 times)

Runestar

• King Kong
Any fans of "Fighting Fantasy" gamebooks here?
« on: July 04, 2008, 12:14:46 PM »
I absolutely loved the series (and the lone wolf saga) when I was a kid. In fact, I would camp at my local bookstore for hours on end (sometimes from opening till closing time) browsing through them. While it would be considered fairly primitive by today's standards, it did prove key to stoking my interest in fantasy roleplaying games, and subsequently picking up dnd.

After a lull of several years, I have recently just finished a run-through of the lone wolf series up to book12, and am considering replaying some of my other gamebooks, most notably knights of doom, warrior of chaos and legend of zagor.

What about the rest of you? :D
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Brandon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Any fans of "Fighting Fantasy" gamebooks here?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 01:35:56 PM »
A copy of Starship Traveller is still on my bookshelf somewhere.  :)

I was more into the Car Wars books and the Endless Quest and AD&D Adventure gamebooks from TSR. 

Years later I ended up running a Star Wars adventure based on "Captive Planet."

Gamebooks basically allowed me to get my gaming freak on under the noses of my paranoid parents for years until their opposition to Dungeons & Dragons was replaced by opposition to illegal rave parties (nothing like trading one moral panic for another).

Gundam Optimal

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 01:44:43 PM »
I lived on gamebooks when I was a kid. They definitely influnced me into becoming a gamer. My first one was "The Last Battledroid", an awesome sci-fi adventure about driving a 200m tall robot to stop an alien invasion. (It also got me interested in giant robots and later anime).
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

The enemy is stupidity and our chosen weapons are giant robots: A Let's Play of Super Robot Wars J

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 09:17:18 AM »
You'd be hard pressed to name a Lone Wolf or FF book I haven't played :P

The best FF book, IMO, was Night Dragon. That one was just so epic in scale.

Robot Commando was fun too, if a bit silly.

Legend of Zagor was OK. It was ruined by the fact that one of the characters (the Dwarf, I think) could never legally finish the game because he will never get the magic weapon tailored for him as it is hidden behind a creature that requires a magic weapon to defeat. Sort of a catch 22 situation there.

Other good books were Island of the Dead and Island of the Lizard King.

There were also a bunch of crap ones. Crimson Tide was very badly done. It was impossible to win legally as it was impossible to legally find out which page to turn to to avoid instant death right at the end.

The same problem occured in that 12 sigils one (I can't remember the name for the life of me). You had to do something which was never referrenced to in the book.

Then we had the one where they tried to make large army vs army combat, where you start with an army and can to go hire more people to fight another army. Can't remember the name of that one either.

As for Lone Wolf, I have all 27 books lying around somewhere, and the entire storybook series as well (10, I think, the Danarg Swamp one anyway). I loved it as a setting. The first 12 books were the best. The entire storyline of massive armies, epic quests and continent-spanning war, was incredibly well done.

The next 8 and the New Order series became too (dare I say it?) muchkin. It was almost impossible to die to wrong decisions and you always miraculously somehow pull through using your Kai and Magnakai Disciplines. They lacked the danger and uncertainty of the first 12 books, and the storylines were all too disjointed. Joe Dever ran out of ideas, and just decided to cash in on Lone Wolf's popularity.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 08:21:46 AM »
Legend of Zagor was OK. It was ruined by the fact that one of the characters (the Dwarf, I think) could never legally finish the game because he will never get the magic weapon tailored for him as it is hidden behind a creature that requires a magic weapon to defeat. Sort of a catch 22 situation there.

The hellhorn champion does not require a magic weapon to defeat, IIRC. However, the dwarf does seem to get the short end of the stick. The fighter gets +2 armour and a +2 weapon, in addition to rolling 1d6+6 for his skill. Stubble gets just 1d6+5, and only +1 armour, meaning he is 2 points of skill behind. It is also odd that his stamina is generated in the same way as Braxus (2d6+12), when you consider that dwarves are supposedly famed for their toughness. He is the weakest of all 3 fighters, with no noteworthy ability to compensate.

It is funny though. Some sites I visited claimed that the wizard was far too weak to play properly, yet he was fairly powerful when I played him. The trick is that you ideally should have already played through the book once, so you know what fights to avoid and how to pace your spellcasting properly. Your magic is automatically replenished to 9 when you get the the wand of the hawk fairly early on in the game, and the effective +3 attack strength it grants makes up for its weaker skill. This means that you have little problem ensuring your spells go through (the orc battle was a joke, with the lavasphere and dancing sword making short work of most of the orcs, and a timely death spell KO'ing Thuul. In fact, I was consistently able to instantly kill any foe with skill of 9 or less using death spell.

I also got the cloak from the elf (used the genie bottle to disable him), so my wizard was never in any real danger in combat. And if need be, I can cast skill on myself as well. Magic rings are fairly plentiful in the game, and if you are very lucky, you get another way of replenishing your magic (neckerchief of wizardry). So you actually have about 36-45 magic points to burn through in the game!

The only fiasco I thought problematic was that it is possible to get 10 silver daggers in the game, meaning that Zagor dies immediately when you face him (though you won't know this until you face him in battle). I think the author was assuming an even distribution of daggers and talismans, but in one of my games, I did end up rolling all even numbers and acquiring 12 silver daggers! :P

Crimson tide was problematic because the silkworm had a skill of 12, while your own skill was just 1d6, so it is pretty much a TPK (the author said that its skill should have been only 6 instead). The final part had me stumped as well. Is there supposed to be some hint to unmask the traitor? I read every chapter but could not find any clue. ???

Lone wolf's only shortcoming was the sommersword. With it, most fights were a joke, and a few fights were nigh-impossible to win (chaos beast, kimah). It was ridiculous when I realized that the solution was to stack combat skill-boosting items from all the previous issues (including the distilled alether from book3), and still you came up slightly short. :lol

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 09:27:33 AM »
It wasn't the Hellhorn Champion that was a problem. It was the Spectre before it. That one basically meant you were boned if you don't have a magical weapon.

Kimah was ridiculous, but the Chaos Master was a lot easier if you lied and said you did not possess the Sommerswerd. You then get the Ironheart Broadsword, which gave the same bonus, but the Chaos Master had 10 less CS when you fought it.

Books 2, 6, 11 and 12 were my favourites. The storylines were very well done. Book 4 was just nasty, although the razor discs were so cool. Wish I could get one. Book 3, 7, 8 and 9 were boring. Book 10 was redeemed by the unfolding story of the Darklord conquests.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 11:56:03 AM »
Wasn't there a potion which let you treat your weapon as though it were enchanted for 1 combat? But then that would mean that you cannot retrieve the onyx staff, right (can you retrace your steps?).

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 05:46:58 PM »
Nope. It was one or the other.

Actually, now that I have thought about it, I think you can *just* make Kimah if you utilise the Lore Circles. Otherwise, you get royally screwed.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 10:45:02 PM by AndyJames »