Author Topic: Asimov  (Read 2828 times)

lotofsnow

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Asimov
« on: July 04, 2008, 12:06:15 PM »
I love Asimov's short stories. "The Last Question," "Robot Dreams," "Eyes Dor More Than See"... The list goes on. All good stuff.

I don't think I've read any of his novels though. Any tips on where to start?

Rev

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Asimov
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 12:15:54 PM »
I'd recommend Foundation & "the caves of steel".

Foundation is actually a connected set of novellas so you may have read them previously - not sure. Both are excellent though.
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 12:56:44 PM »
The entire Robot series is excellent.  The Gods Themselves and The End of Eternity are also brilliant.  Haven't read the foundation series yet, except for The Currents of Space.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 04:17:27 PM »
find the robots time line, and start at the beginning..

caves of steel is very early in the time line, a good place to start.

The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 06:22:13 PM »
So was I, Robot.  They're short stories that prelude to the rest of the series.  I suggest you start there (at the true beginning).
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 07:08:08 PM »

Foundation series all the way! Brilliant concepts.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 08:07:03 PM »
So was I, Robot.  They're short stories that prelude to the rest of the series.  I suggest you start there (at the true beginning).
To anyone wandering in: No, the movie "I, Robot" didn't have anything to do with the Aasimov story of the same name.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 11:31:14 PM »
ya, idk what they based the movie off of...

its the same but different...

think starship troopers..

Anim-manga sux.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 11:41:14 PM »
To anyone wandering in: No, the movie "I, Robot" didn't have anything to do with the Aasimov story of the same name.

Yes it did!  The names were the same!  And that's it...

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 11:20:07 AM »
The Gods Themselves is one of those sci-fi books where you think "if an author could see this sort of thing coming that long ago, why haven't we done something about it?"

For those who haven't read it, it involves a fictional technology that appears to provide energy at no cost. The book revolves around various attemts to stop environmental disaster (on an admittedly grand scale) as a result of this technology. The parallels to both nuclear power and the contemporary climate debate are very, very acute.

Why wasn't there an Asimov for President movement at some point? He had vision, creativity, and the ability to move an audience. He would've been a great politician.
I know gameology-fu.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 04:43:59 PM »
Clarke gets all the credit for being a visionary...

i think thats due to him telling everyone how visionary he was...

i also think Asimov had a better understanding of things... people and things..

Anim-manga sux.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 05:55:17 PM »
Asimov was actually a scientist (bio-chemist, I believe) of some renown as well. He made science simple and his non-fiction books on biology, chemistry and physics were aimed at the layman. In comparison, Clarke was a nobody.

To be honest, I never really read his science fiction books. I know him through his science books. I did read a couple of his Perihelion series that was based off the Robots universe, and some of his other short stories, mainly humourous ones.

Sirperry

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Pbbbbth !
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 03:55:04 AM »
ya, idk what they based the movie off of...

its the same but different...

think starship troopers..
ARGH !  Don't mention that blasphemous movie !  Please, I beg you !
There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Lunch