Author Topic: cohort confusion  (Read 1403 times)

aubs

• Monkey bussiness
cohort confusion
« on: October 18, 2010, 07:52:27 PM »
In my current game the dm has allowed the leadership feat. 
This is the first time a dm has ever allowed the feat in a game i've been in and im simply not 100% sure on the rules of cohorts.   
I'm lvl 8 with a leadership score of 9  so i can get a lvl 6 cohort.   Now  if my understanding of the rules is correct,  can my cohort take leadership as one of its feats?  and thereby have a cohort of its own?

Another question that im unsure on is :  cohorts and leveling,  im guessing they gain xp and level like a normal character but,  does it count as another member of the party for total xp division or is its xp a % of what my character gets?

Now assuming that my cohort can have a cohort of its own, what would you all recommend?   I'm currently a  half-orc  barb/fighter, core only(phb, dmg, mm1)  I was thinking about a cleric as my cohort for a personal healer/buffer but im not sure of what to pair that with if 'it' can have one of its own.

thanks.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Re: cohort confusion
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 08:49:15 PM »
In my current game the dm has allowed the leadership feat. 
This is the first time a dm has ever allowed the feat in a game i've been in and im simply not 100% sure on the rules of cohorts.   
I'm lvl 8 with a leadership score of 9  so i can get a lvl 6 cohort.   Now  if my understanding of the rules is correct,  can my cohort take leadership as one of its feats?  and thereby have a cohort of its own?

Another question that im unsure on is :  cohorts and leveling,  im guessing they gain xp and level like a normal character but,  does it count as another member of the party for total xp division or is its xp a % of what my character gets?

Now assuming that my cohort can have a cohort of its own, what would you all recommend?   I'm currently a  half-orc  barb/fighter, core only(phb, dmg, mm1)  I was thinking about a cleric as my cohort for a personal healer/buffer but im not sure of what to pair that with if 'it' can have one of its own.

thanks.

In order:

Yes you can, but as your cohort's cohort will be 4 levels lower than you at minimum don't expect miracles.

Cohorts don't cost anyone XP. If you're level 6, in a party with 3 other level 6s and an encounter gives 600 XP the result will be every PC gets 150 and your cohort gets 100 assuming he is level 4.

If you're core only, your options are limited. As a Barb/Fighter with a caster cohort, don't be surprised if the cohort outclasses your main character. With that said it is your best option. Cleric, Druid, Wizard, maybe a Bard.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 09:54:08 PM »
When It's core only I suggest a Druid Cohort.
He can Buff, Heal, and Serve as a mount.
He also bring with him another Warrior to help carry your loot.
Then his Cohort could be a bard, since you will be having quite a few characters.

Alternatively consider a transmuter that focuses on buffing you, it will still feel like you are doing all the work, while it is actually the transmuters spells that are the source of your power. It also gets you easy access to things like flight, haste and identify.

However, when in Core only, the simplest answer is: Go with a druid, you can never go wrong with a druid.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 06:27:27 AM »
Now  if my understanding of the rules is correct,  can my cohort take leadership as one of its feats?  and thereby have a cohort of its own?
Yes, but your DM is likely to slap you.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

spacemonkey555

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 09:47:06 AM »
The flavor text says cohorts are not leaders, they're subservient followers, so its pretty hard to justify them taking the leadership feat.

Funny enough tho, the rules state that the cohort is effectively another pc under the player's control.
... So its an npc that happens to be a pc, which probably means it can do anything a player can do (except important stuff like chip in for food).  :banghead

Its really kind of unnecessary tho, if the dm is going to allow leadership he probably already knows how many npcs he wants tagging along. If he wants you to have 2 you can just have 2 cohorts without the cohort chain. The rules make several references to a singular cohort, but they also say you can attract cohorts (plural). The dmg also says there is no limit to the number of cohorts a character can employ. If you want 2, just ask and find out what your dm thinks. He might charge you a feat per cohort, or he might give you cohorts without taking leadership if there's no other players.