Author Topic: What is the CO board verdict on bying feats?  (Read 3892 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
What is the CO board verdict on bying feats?
« on: October 17, 2010, 06:31:29 PM »
Or, more specifically, the benefit of that feat as a magic item.

I've seen 2000 gp, but how hard would it be to convince a DM to allow this?

For reference, I would like to buy an item, a badge or ribbon perhaps, that gives me the benefit of Improved Critical (Pistols). Would this be too much?

Also, the setting has Iron Kingdoms classes and weapons, just so you know.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
Re: What is the CO board verdict on bying feats?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 06:37:15 PM »

For reference, I would like to buy an item, a badge or ribbon perhaps, that gives me the benefit of Improved Critical (Pistols). Would this be too much?

Book references on feat price in magic items?
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 06:44:26 PM »

Book references on feat price in magic items?
No references, just an extrapolation based off various items that grant feats.

Honestly, it's not bad, but it shouldn't be combined like that with other items in the same slot.  If you give up a body slot for a feat (singular), then it's not terrible.  That said, regardless of the price it's going to be abusable.

thebigstupidfighter

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 06:56:02 PM »
I think a feat would in general be a bad thing to allow as a magic item. At low levels it might seem balanced, but later on you'll be faced with the decision of adding another +1 to your sword, or buying 10 feats. A lack of available feats is probably the second-most limiting thing to what you can do at various levels, right after level of spells available. Taking away that cap would result in builds that could combine several builds worth of nastiness into one character.

For example, you have a character who went the Arcane Thesis route to pimp out his use of a single spell, but he could also use Locate City Bomb, and he's also an Uttercold Assault Necromancer. Alternatively a fighter-type could be both a gattling tripper and an ubercharger.

Items that do grant feats tend to be overpowered for their cost, see Crystal of Return and all the manuever-granting items from ToB.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 07:04:24 PM »
Items that do grant feats tend to be overpowered for their cost, see Crystal of Return and all the manuever-granting items from ToB.
I would question this highly.  With very, very few exceptions, none of the printed feats that can be gained via items are very powerful at all.  Possibly the most powerful are the metamagic Rods, but they're limited to 3/day use.  After that, then I would agree to a point on the manuver items.  Those you still have to meet the prerequisites to use them.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Drull

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 07:10:12 PM »
It would also make the fighter class worth 22k gold  :lol

jameswilliamogle

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 07:16:51 PM »
I'd say make it cost the same as a +stat item, and scale w/ the number of feats (so the first one costs 4k, then 16k, then 32k, then 64k, etc).  Make it a special Ioun stone?

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 07:25:30 PM »
Any custom magic item should be priced based on its value.  Different feats have different values, so I don't think any single number could be valid.  Look through Items that Grant Feats and you'll see many different prices. 

The closest existing items to what you're looking for are the scabbard of keen edges, which costs 16,000 gp and the keen weapon special ability, which costs +1. 

Using the suggested formula for converting spells to items with keen as a base, the suggested price is 30,000 gp.  Of course, using those formulas, the scabbard of keen edges would cost 32,400 gp. 

Let's take the scabbard of keen edges as a base.  Unlimited use items typically cost 5/3 as much as 3/day items.  Use activated/continuous items typically cost 20/18 as much as command word items.  Slotted items typically cost 1/2 as much as slotless items.  That would suggest the item you describe is worth about 15,000 gp. 

It's a DM judgment call, but 15,000 gp doesn't seem unreasonable to me.  For that price, I'd probably let you change the designated weapon once per day. 

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 07:38:29 PM »
Alright, sounds good.

Oh, and by the way, the inscription on the medal will have to be "1st place: Sharpshooting"

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 10:44:30 PM »
Poor fighters.

Like most any naive homebrew, this benefits casters more.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 11:15:23 PM »
Obviously. Everything benefits casters more, except for an item that creates an unblockable antimagic field that moves with the target around every magic-user in existence. That isn't bypassed by Initiate of Mystra.

That might annoy casters a little.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Toptomcat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 11:23:14 PM »
The 3.0 Arms & Equipment Guide gives a general guideline of 10,000 gp, plus 5,000 to 10,000 gp more per prerequisite feat, on page 128, which is as close to an official ruling as anyone's ever going to get.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 11:28:45 PM »
Obviously. Everything benefits casters more, except for an item that creates an unblockable antimagic field that moves with the target around every magic-user in existence. That isn't bypassed by Initiate of Mystra.

That might annoy casters a little.
Enough to kill you by loading a sling with magically shrunk boulders or T-rexes that have been polymorphed into pebbles.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 12:02:55 AM »
Poor fighters.

Like most any naive homebrew, this benefits casters more.
This is why I suggest that, regardless of the price, one feat (or maybe two very closely related feats) takes the place of one body slot.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 12:14:31 AM »
Did I mention the fields were permanent?

And retroactive?

So magic never existed?

Ever?

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 12:15:43 AM »

One can get Iron Will, Extend Rage, or Menacing Demeanor, or Skill Focus (Intimidate) for 3,000 gold from the Otyugh Hole (Complete Scoundrel, page 151, "Legendary Location").

For Improved Critical, I'd say about 10,000 gold. Combined with other things like Blood in the Water (Tome of Battle, stance, Tiger Claw 1), it can get... crazy.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 12:17:59 AM »

And retroactive?

So magic never existed?

Ever?
Tell me when we're going to throw dice on the Battle of Gettysburg reenactment for the 2852nd time and I'll be there.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 12:21:34 AM »

And retroactive?

So magic never existed?

Ever?
Tell me when we're going to throw dice on the Battle of Gettysburg reenactment for the 2852nd time and I'll be there.
Woosday the 33rd of Schmebuary. Be there or be square.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 12:21:59 AM »

And retroactive?

So magic never existed?

Ever?
Well, antimagic fields are themselves magic.  So your homebrew cancels itself out.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 12:22:46 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't A&EG price a feat at 10k?