Author Topic: [D&D 3.5] 20th Level One-Shot Setup Thread  (Read 43328 times)

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: [D&D 3.5] 20th Level One-Shot Setup Thread
« Reply #280 on: November 02, 2010, 09:22:33 PM »
You guys have a forum ready for you. I'll give kevin_video mod permissions. This is only temporary, til mods start coming back and making forums for us PbPers.
That is much appreciated.

zetaboard was an utter failure, so use this instead.
Trying again.

Congratulations, you're a mod. The only things you can't do is view IP addresses and ... something else that was so utterly insignificant I left it off.
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #281 on: November 02, 2010, 09:23:30 PM »
You guys have a forum ready for you. I'll give kevin_video mod permissions. This is only temporary, til mods start coming back and making forums for us PbPers.
That is much appreciated.

zetaboard was an utter failure, so use this instead.
Trying again.

Congratulations, you're a mod. The only things you can't do is view IP addresses and ... something else that was so utterly insignificant I left it off.
That's fine. I only want to be able to do the necessary stuff.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #282 on: November 03, 2010, 01:14:37 AM »
It's a little slow going, but I'm working on it, everyone.  Probably get going tomorrow. So if anyone's got any last minute adjustments they want to make, you've got 18 hours left. When I get home tomorrow, we'll be starting it.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #283 on: November 03, 2010, 04:53:17 AM »
Not sure if I can exactly get the cohort done in that time, but if that's the case I'll use the other plan. If I have until evening time (EST) I may be able to pull it off, though. We'll see.

(Most likely just a simple wizard build for some utility and wiz-exclusive buff spells, though I was looking at adapting the usage of the Ultimate Magus stuff I worked on at the start, plus I was thinking of maybe just a simple ToB build, though that would be too equipment-heavy for NPC wealth).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:00:07 AM by VennDygrem »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #284 on: November 03, 2010, 08:46:24 AM »
Not sure if I can exactly get the cohort done in that time, but if that's the case I'll use the other plan. If I have until evening time (EST) I may be able to pull it off, though. We'll see.

(Most likely just a simple wizard build for some utility and wiz-exclusive buff spells, though I was looking at adapting the usage of the Ultimate Magus stuff I worked on at the start, plus I was thinking of maybe just a simple ToB build, though that would be too equipment-heavy for NPC wealth).
I'd hate for you to have to rush, and end up not getting the build you desired, or running out of time and putting all that work in, but I will be starting it tonight. I'll be making the IC thread around 6 PM CST.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #285 on: November 03, 2010, 11:51:37 AM »
WTF I saw TheCrisWaits on yesterday and we still don't have the forum!? This is very frustrating.

Prime has been anointed a Mod and will be given the ability to make forums and such soon, so we should be going once that happens.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 01:27:09 PM by archangel.arcanis »
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #286 on: November 03, 2010, 07:29:13 PM »
Pretty close to done with the build on my cohort. He'll barely have any appropriate gear with his npc wbl, but if I'm careful, maybe he won't need it or at least won't die in the first combat. :D

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #287 on: November 03, 2010, 08:35:36 PM »
No, no forum here. We do have one at the temp BG forum though.

http://z15.invisionfree.com/TemporaryBGPbP/index.php?

I'll be starting the IC thread in about 45-60 minutes. Go VennDygrem! Go! You can do it!

EDIT: My browser's having trouble loading the forum for some reason so I changed the time this'll start. As soon as I don't have the "This browser is having trouble loading this page." message, I'll be starting it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 09:14:54 PM by kevin_video »

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #288 on: November 03, 2010, 09:26:41 PM »
Posted the cohort's sheet there, but here it is as well:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=251369

Beguiler 1/Wizard 1/M. Spec. 2/Beg +1/Ultimate Magus 10/Archmage 2

The only thing not finished is spell selection for the wizard side. Hopefully that's fine. If it's not, then we'll, again, just have to scrap him.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #289 on: November 03, 2010, 09:32:18 PM »
The only thing not finished is spell selection for the wizard side. Hopefully that's fine. If it's not, then we'll, again, just have to scrap him.

Have a quick look through here, and grab what you can before we officially start.
http://rpgdigest.com/2008/04/07/the-best-wizard-spells-in-dungeons-and-dragons/
http://gamingmyway.com/2008/11/30/best-dungeons-and-dragons-spells-ever/

They're considered the best D&D wizard spells.

I'd like you to have at least half of your spells chosen for each level. You can polish it off from day to day while we're doing this.

RelentlessImp

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #290 on: November 03, 2010, 09:35:25 PM »
The first one included Fireball. The rest of the list is solid, but... fireball? Really?
Solo on Essentials
I prepared irresistible phantasmal killer today... as a 4th level spell.
"He hit me with a flaming garbage can...and then the god damn hobo next to it!"

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #291 on: November 03, 2010, 09:38:08 PM »
The first one included Fireball. The rest of the list is solid, but... fireball? Really?
Depends on what you're fighting, but it is an area effect spell. If you're fighting mooks, why wouldn't you use that? Not to mention, if you've got combustibles somewhere, and want to set off a trap, kaboom!

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #292 on: November 03, 2010, 09:44:10 PM »
Depends on what you're fighting, but it is an area effect spell. If you're fighting mooks, why wouldn't you use that? Not to mention, if you've got combustibles somewhere, and want to set off a trap, kaboom!

Besides I think Fireball is the Iconic spell of the Wizard....
I think that any wizard that has not banned evocation should have it if only for flavor's reasons.....

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #293 on: November 03, 2010, 10:02:12 PM »
I also dislike stoneskin, and glibness only works if your DM is playing by the silly bluff rules in PHB. In which case he'll be playing like the silly Diplomacy rules in PHB as well, meaning you can just make a diplomancer and not need this spell. Mirror Image is pretty nifty.
But what's the deal with detect evil, I mean it's not a bad spell, but silent image is also a 1st level spell. And it's not a 1st level spell some classes get for free at will anyway, and almost anyone who is important to the plot, and evil is protected against this spell, so it merely helps as a seeker missile for smite evil.

And honestly, Fireball? Fireball AND magic missile AND scorching ray? If you want to rolls loads of D6s why not be a rogue or a druid with venomfire?
And what about nifty things like enervation and celerity are left out from those lists. And one of the lists has Mordenkainens Disjunction as a 9th level spell. Honestly you are gonna throw away all your lewts?

Sorry for the rant, but I just dislike whenever someone says they've got the "best" spell (this applies to anything were they have the best), many things could be useful in some circumstances, but so could other spells. If for example My opponent is about to chop my head off with a greatsword, having detect evil or glibness doesn't help much, but having grease, silent image or invisibility probably would. If I wanted to infiltrate the castle of the evil dr. Melburn (an avid undead creator), charm person, and ray of enfeeblement probably wouldn't help much, but command undead, alter self and disintegrate would be awesome to have.

The problem with comparing spells is that you compare the power, which is sort of moot, because in some situations, even Fireball can be useful, the situations where you'd not rather want some black tentacles or a nice fog are rare, but they do come up. In some situations haste is useful, in others, benign transposition is. All in all, it is too hard to judge spells in too few words. Spell lists should be chosen based on the notion that you can handle almost any situation at least twice a day, and avoid getting into it again that day.

/rant.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #294 on: November 03, 2010, 10:10:18 PM »
The forum's working for me again so I'll be starting the IC thread in a couple of minutes.

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #295 on: November 03, 2010, 10:17:22 PM »
i can agree with mixter on that one that picking the most useful spells in most senarios it best. so i would look up hand books that turn wizzards in to batman or sterio tipical god may be best.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #296 on: November 03, 2010, 10:34:13 PM »
i can agree with mixter on that one that picking the most useful spells in most senarios it best. so i would look up hand books that turn wizzards in to batman or sterio tipical god may be best.

Whenever I write a wall of text on some subject, someone comes by and sums it up in one line.

Yeah, I'm ranty like that. And I like writing long texts :).
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #297 on: November 03, 2010, 11:36:50 PM »
It's begun on the thread. Introduce yourselves. You've all appeared on the platform.