Author Topic: [D&D 3.5] 20th Level One-Shot Setup Thread  (Read 43257 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: [D&D 3.5] 20th Level One-Shot Setup Thread *Date Extension
« Reply #220 on: October 24, 2010, 12:50:25 AM »
First one seems to fit better, I'd agree.

As for speech text color, I'll go with Green.

---edit---
Also, I noticed someone listed a Nightstick under their equipment, but I think they're banned since they would be from Libris Mortis, which is not an allowed book.
Did someone have one? I must have missed that when I was scanning over them.

Probably 2000 would do it for every single piece of adventuring gear, minus the 1000 gold spyglass.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #221 on: October 24, 2010, 02:57:53 AM »
Eh, I think my guy is done now, along with his AC. Unless some one has any suggestions.

Think I will go with teal.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #222 on: October 24, 2010, 03:00:44 AM »
Eh, I think my guy is done now, along with his AC. Unless some one has any suggestions.

Think I will go with teal.
Sorry, what are you? Animal 17? Would Lycanthrope 17 work too?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Epic One-Shot Setup Thread
« Reply #223 on: October 24, 2010, 03:01:34 AM »
BTW, I wouldn't mind your opinion on this letter, and how it's written. As well as the one below.

Great hunter;

Your assistance is urgently required at Hunter's Isle. We have been foolish, and arrogant. We all thought this to be a lucrative venture come up by Jaccob Rem, but it's become quite apparent that we are being punished for our ignorance and greed.
   A great magical beast, that we were unable to identify, has come to the island and hunting the hunters. We don't know its powers, but it seems to be able to split up into four versions of itself. Each one with different colored stripes on its body.
   Its strength seems great, especially given its numbers. While we thought it could be handled, it's an unknown for weaknesses. It may not have any real weaknesses, but my holy avenger seemed to be able to penetrate its skin. However, numbers beat us out. It doesn't help that our security system mysteriously cut out. I fear that all of the beasts we had trapped around the island, are now free to roam as they please.
   Jaccob has disappeared and we fear the worst has happened. Calathra Bramblefoot has an Instant Fortress or two to keep some of us protected for a while. Roryn Stoneshield and I are at the mansion for needed supplies, and so I can send this out. I don't know that we'll be able to make it back. Some of the hunters we were guiding have panicked and left our side, and ran for the manor. We did not find them on our way here. We don't know if they got lost and are still trying to get here, or not.
   Please rescue us. You will be more than handsomely rewarded for taking down the creature(s), and you can name any reward for saving us from this peril. We are, after all, The Hunter's Wealth.
   If you agree, there is a teleport spell linked to this scroll. Merely say "yes", and you will be brought here.

Tarmin Squire

I had a friend who's an English tutor, and teacher, and I've explained to her what the letter is supposed to do. Look over both, pick what you like and hate, and give your own suggestions as to how this should be written.

Great Hunter:

Your assistance is urgently required at Hunter's Isle. We have been arrogant fools, thinking this to be a lucrative venture conceived by Jaccob Rem, but it's become quite apparent that we are being punished for our ignorance and greed.
    An unidentified magical beast stalks the island, and the hunters have become the hunted! Though much of the beast's powers remain a mystery, it appears capable of splintering itself into four versions of its original self, each form with different colored stripes on its body.
    Its multiplied strength is overwhelming, and we have yet to find its weakness, though my Holy Avenger has on one occasion managed to pierce its flesh. However, we are no match for its duplication abilities, and with our security system mysteriously compromised I fear that every beast we had imprisoned across the island is now free to roam the compound!
    Jaccob has disappeared and we fear the worst. Calathra Bramblefoot has an Instant Fortress or two to keep us momentarily protected. Roryn Stoneshield and I are at the mansion for needed supplies and the chance to send you this request, though I fear we may not be able to make it back. Some of the hunters we were guiding panicked and made a premature run for the manor, but found upon arrival they were nowhere in sight. Their current condition is, as of this letter, unknown.
    I implore you, Great Hunter, to rescue our team! Dispose of the horrid creatures and you may name any reward for saving us, The Hunter's Wealth, from this peril.
    There is a teleport spell linked to this scroll. If you agree to help us, merely say "yes" and you will be instantly brought to this island.

Tarmin Squire

Honestly, I don't know if she purposely took out Tarmin's name, or the copy and paste didn't work quite as she hoped when she e-mailed me back.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 03:40:08 AM by kevin_video »

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #224 on: October 24, 2010, 03:14:27 AM »
That is the AC, it has 17 animal HD.

thinking this to be a lucrative venture . We all thought this to be a lucrative venture conceived by Jaccob Rem
Seems redundant.

An unidentified magical beast now stalks the island, and the hunters have become the hunted!
Without now, it seems it was there all along imo.

Probably other things...but I am tired.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #225 on: October 24, 2010, 03:16:19 AM »
Probably just the cut-and-paste. Both letters convey the same information; her's removes some redundancy and cleans it up generally, though I suppose the original has its own merits as far as the voice of the letter's author goes. I'd look through them, and make one final revision based on elements from both to make the version that you like best.

That is the AC, it has 17 animal HD.

thinking this to be a lucrative venture . We all thought this to be a lucrative venture conceived by Jaccob Rem
Seems redundant.

An unidentified magical beast now stalks the island, and the hunters have become the hunted!
Without now, it seems it was there all along imo.

Probably other things...but I am tired.

These are also good suggestions.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #226 on: October 24, 2010, 03:17:00 AM »
the second one seems to flow better while the first feels choppy. Though ascetically your version looks better to my eye, but that probably has more to do with screen resolution and line breaks.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #227 on: October 24, 2010, 03:20:00 AM »
Mine was meant to feel more rushed. Like time is of the essence. He doesn't really have time to have perfect penmanship. Basically it's to read "We screwed up. We were arrogant and naive. Shit's hit the fan. Come save us. Now!"

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #228 on: October 24, 2010, 03:39:44 AM »
Just got an e-mail back from her. She realized she'd missed the name, and typed a sentence twice. I'll be revising it. Probably take this and that from both to make one.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #229 on: October 24, 2010, 03:41:00 AM »
I love how you go from 6 STR to 43. That's just so insane.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #230 on: October 24, 2010, 09:31:28 AM »
Oh yeah. I forgot nightsticks weren't allowed, my mind sorta goes on auto when buying equipment.

I still need to equip my wizard friend. He has 50k gold to spare and doesn't need it, any suggestions?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #231 on: October 24, 2010, 09:49:36 AM »
Oh yeah. I forgot nightsticks weren't allowed, my mind sorta goes on auto when buying equipment.

I still need to equip my wizard friend. He has 50k gold to spare and doesn't need it, any suggestions?

Maybe scrolls.....
Take some spells he does not know to expand his spellbook.....

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #232 on: October 24, 2010, 11:57:21 AM »
Major cloak of displacement. exactly 50k and good defense (so we can loot it if he dies  :sofa)
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #233 on: October 24, 2010, 01:21:54 PM »

Bracers of armor, extra spells, twilight animated casting shield, pearls of power, tomes or manuals, Belt of magnificence +2, extra protection around your spell book (fire resistant, water resistant, etc), metamagic rod, eternal wand, regular wands, upgrades on anything not maxed out (ring of protection +5 instead of +3), robes, a mask, ring of silent spells, amulet of second chances, shirt of demonskin, a skin, a runestaff. Lots of stuff.

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #234 on: October 24, 2010, 08:33:18 PM »
Mine was meant to feel more rushed. Like time is of the essence. He doesn't really have time to have perfect penmanship. Basically it's to read "We screwed up. We were arrogant and naive. Shit's hit the fan. Come save us. Now!"

also there is a good lack of info so we don't know much about the creature giving a cautious character the room to think that this is a trap.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #235 on: October 24, 2010, 08:45:28 PM »

also there is a good lack of info so we don't know much about the creature giving a cautious character the room to think that this is a trap.
lol True, but if you guys did a Knowledge (Nobility & Royalty) check on the names "Tarmin Squire" and "Jaccob Rem", you'd know exactly why they couldn't tell you jack. Hell, if you had the time, and a high enough modifier, I'd even let you go out and ask any tavern keeper about these guys via Gather Information. The Hunter's Wealth is very well known to a lot of different circles, for two very distinct reasons. They're just not known to everyone. Asking the guy down the street who they are would just get you a "Who?"

For those of you who know Dragonball Z and GT, think Mr. Hercule Satan. I'll leave it at that. ;)

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #236 on: October 24, 2010, 08:54:51 PM »
Lol  i was just looking at the other character sheets and i just noticed something there is no lawful good characters in the group. So there will be no real freak out when devils or demons start helping the party mid battle or when Celestial Monkeys make trapmonkey a non-metaphorical term. Poor trap monkey lol

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #237 on: October 24, 2010, 08:56:35 PM »
Lol  i was just looking at the other character sheets and i just noticed something there is no lawful good characters in the group. So there will be no real freak out when devils or demons start helping the party mid battle or when Celestial Monkeys make trapmonkey a non-metaphorical term. Poor trap monkey lol

Just don't call evil dragons.....
If you do there gonna be a bloodbath...

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #238 on: October 24, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
All I care about is that no one goes against their alignment. I mean, CE and CN are random, so that's fine, but if I see anyone that's CG who decides they're going to randomly break stuff, cut off people's head to wear them, or not tell anyone about various terrain that might cause someone to trip while they're scouting ahead just because they want to see said person fall. :banghead I still haven't gotten over that session.

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #239 on: October 24, 2010, 09:04:26 PM »
lets see after looking over the dragion knight ritual i see no reasion that it would not stack with the Malconvoker class features  :smirk