Author Topic: [D&D 3.5] 20th Level One-Shot Setup Thread  (Read 43330 times)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: [D&D 3.5] 20th Level One-Shot Setup Thread
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 12:59:39 PM »
Kevin I may be interested as well. My concept would be a Lychanthrope hunter. I would need to know about adapting fluff on some classes (primary being Ordained Champion to whatever deity has Moon) and what deity would have the Moon Domain from the SPC. This is primarilly a thematic build but since I'm using a cleric base it should be able to keep up for the most part since it will have some buffs available as swift actions.

edit: the other class that may need some adaptation would be Church Inquisitor to get force shapechange.
I'm going to put myself even deeper in a hole and hope I can pull it out.

Here is the plan: Cleric 5/Ordained Champion 4/Moon Guardian 5/Afflicted Were-Deinonychus 6 (+2 LA, 4 HD)

I know I'll be a weak caster but I should be solid in combat between hybrid form (which stays medium so I think I can keep my armor/weapon) and standard cleric buffs.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 03:40:51 PM by archangel.arcanis »
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 02:08:06 PM »
So...what is considered "broken"?

Are Prestigious character classes allowed?

How about domain druids?

Other UA variants?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 03:16:39 PM »
Well, I'll make a character for this, but I'm not sure whether I want to join or not yet, depends on how long it takes to fledge out that character.
That's cool. When I put down the date, I thought it'd be enough time but it's sounding like a week wasn't enough. If it's not, then I'll likely extend it.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
The idea that a Warforged Barbarian is broken, but a Druid with the Sun Domain is fine, makes me laugh.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 04:21:38 PM »
The idea that a Warforged Barbarian is broken, but a Druid with the Sun Domain is fine, makes me laugh.
Either they thought their XP penalty being kept was enough of a deterrent from someone making a Druid/Cleric, or they didn't notice it. Either way, it's still there.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 04:27:57 PM »
I usually play casters but I always wanted to try a Barbarian......
What I am thinking is a water orc dragonborn Barbarian/Frenzied Berseker/class that I haven't decided yet.....
I know that my will saves will be somewhat low so I am looking for ways to improve the situation.....

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 04:58:50 PM »
Kevin any word on who would have the Moon Domain? I may just run with it as a druid instead since you are allowing domain druid, it is also kinda thematic as well, but a bit weaker combat wise.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 05:17:54 PM »

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 05:22:45 PM »

Ok I figured a default Greyhawk setting, never saw it stated to be FR. I'll take a look at them, I don't know if it is different I was going with Moon Domain from the Spell Compendium.

The only difference is 4th level spell. It is Good Hope in PGTF and Fear in SC.

If you want to let Eilistraee in I can work with that. Or you if you don't I can work with it added to another deity. Would it be possible to re-flavor Ordained champion to fit with her? If not i'll have to figure something else out for what I want to do.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 05:34:13 PM by archangel.arcanis »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 05:31:05 PM »
Ok I figured a default Greyhawk setting, never saw it stated to be FR. I'll take a look at them, I don't know if it is different I was going with Moon Domain from the Spell Compendium.

The only difference is 4th level spell. It is Good Hope in PGTF and Fear in SC.
After looking it up, I see that that's the only difference as well.

If you can find a way around it, go for it. Personally, if you choose the offspring of Corellon and Lolth, I'll allow it for the playtest. It seems weird that Spell Compendium is allowed, but in essence a lot of domains wouldn't be because of the fact that they're from FR, yet those books aren't allowed. There's gotta be some kind of loophole somewhere.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 05:34:06 PM by kevin_video »

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2010, 05:41:43 PM »
The point is: that houserule gives Druids the Sun Domain & Turn Undead and thus DMM...

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2010, 05:52:52 PM »
The point is: that houserule gives Druids the Sun Domain & Turn Undead and thus DMM...
It depends on the druid though. Some of the variants of druid cause you to lose your animal companion, such as the PHBII Shapeshift ability, or the Druidic Avenger. If you would lose your companion, you lose the domain too. You'd just have to think it through so that wouldn't happen. But, yes, I do see your point.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2010, 06:06:33 PM »
Potential solutions to get my character the moon domain:
1) Allow FR deity in the game
2) Worship Ideals (moon and war in this case)
3) Tack Moon onto a Greyhawk Deity that seems appropriate.

All 3 require some alteration to OC for me to enter that class as well, with the exception of 3 if Her. or Hex. is given the domain.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2010, 06:12:07 PM »
It depends on the druid though. Some of the variants of druid cause you to lose your animal companion, such as the PHBII Shapeshift ability, or the Druidic Avenger. If you would lose your companion, you lose the domain too. You'd just have to think it through so that wouldn't happen. But, yes, I do see your point.

No, it doesn't. It's a houserule that straight out gives a domain for free. Hence, my amazement.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2010, 06:32:37 PM »

No, it doesn't. It's a houserule that straight out gives a domain for free. Hence, my amazement.
Ah. Well technically it's not allowed because it's a houserule and it's probably assumed that houserules can't be taken unless specifically said by the "it's allowed." I'm allowing it, but only on the premise of the Pathfinder game which has you switch out the animal companion for the domain, as stated above in an earlier post. Otherwise, it wouldn't be allowed at all because of the fact that it's a houserule in the book. It's not official, which means that the committee would deny it. Bring up how Pathfinder allows it under condition met, and they might back down.

@ archangel.arcanis - I'd say that you'd likely get away with the 2nd one more than anything else. These aren't my rules, unfortunately. If they allowed one FR book, they'd be entitled to allowing them all, and considering it took this long to allow any book to be used outside of core, I'm not pushing my luck. Especially since this game's already been shot down twice because I had it too open for book allowances (including the magazines), and not using 4th Ed.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2010, 07:04:38 PM »
Would OC still be allowed for this then? It probably won't come up in the con. game you plan on running, but I understand if you don't want to let it in either.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 07:07:33 PM »
Would OC still be allowed for this then? It probably won't come up in the con. game you plan on running, but I understand if you don't want to let it in either.
I forget what OC stands for. But yeah, I said I'd allow it if you took option 2 for worshiping ideals, or if you took Eilistraee as your deity. If I didn't make that clear, I'll say it now.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 07:09:37 PM »
Your take on a Prestige Paladin taking Battle Blessing?

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 07:14:10 PM »
I forget what OC stands for. But yeah, I said I'd allow it if you took option 2 for worshiping ideals, or if you took Eilistraee as your deity. If I didn't make that clear, I'll say it now.
It is for Ordained Champion, normally restricted to Heironeous and Hextor as deities but adaptation says others would be fitting too depending on your setting. You did say it was allowed but I also wanted to make sure since it was deity specific that a non-deity would still be ok.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2010, 07:17:35 PM »
Your take on a Prestige Paladin taking Battle Blessing?
The fact that you asked me that question confused me, and I had to re-read the rules. It seems I screwed up on my copy and pasting. PrC versions of base classes are not allowed. If the base class is available, the PrC version is not.

@ archangel.arcanis - If the PrC requires you to have those specific deities, then that's how it has to be, sorry. There's no adaptation rules for this. For PrC, it's RAW. Actually, pretty much everything is RAW for this, as far as I've been told.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:21:00 PM by kevin_video »