Author Topic: [D&D 3.5] 20th Level One-Shot Setup Thread  (Read 43255 times)

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: [D&D 3.5] 20th Level One-Shot Setup Thread *Date Extension
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2010, 10:22:11 AM »
In any case my character is Finished so whenever you like take a look and give me the final ok......

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=248233

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2010, 11:17:13 AM »
It still needs some tweaking but here is my character: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=248436
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2010, 02:02:32 PM »
If I use the Item's Familiar Invest life energy ability my xp will be increased by 10% that means that I will have 209000xp which is only 1000 away from 21 level...
Now my question is will I be able to attain 21 level in game or is there  a hard cap?
There is a cap, yes. At least they're supposed to be.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2010, 03:40:03 PM »
Except for saves, and statting equipment out, my character is finished: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=248039

Here's his BG:

Melkior was just a young boy when Pelor first spoke to him, he was told to pick up the sword of his father, and avenge him. To slay the orcs that intruded on his homeland, and bring the word of Pelor to any survivors he would spare. On the first thought he was appalled by the idea, and feared the god, but Pelor spoke to him to not be afraid, to travel everywhere and bring brightness, glory and goodness to all. To let them all see the light of Pelor or perish in their wicked ways.
Melkior knew that instant he had a task, although he had lived a secluded life, being sent to the nearby Cloister when his parents feared the orcs coming, he returned just in time to see his family, get cut down, alive was only his older brother, Minruel, a Wizard who had been away for his wizard studies. Together the brothers swore revenge, Melkior used the abilities granted to him by Pelor to aid his brother with the magic he weaved, and they became great heroes together. They found out that the Orcs were set in motion by a necromancer, who in turn were set upon his evil schemes by a convent of Mind Flayers, wanting to sow despise to catch the fleeing brains, he realised the Mind Flayers worshipped an evil Dragon, who had dealings with demons. And through the holy light of Pelor Melkior vanquished this evil.
Within as little as 7 years, Melkior and his brother had grown from being sons of Gunrad the farmer, to being some of the most revered heroes of Lurion. They alone helped the country into peace and prosperity by valiantly smiting Evil, in his quests, Melkior met many allies, Envelor the Paladin of Heironeous is one of his friends to this day, and Michael, the Cleric of Fharlangh taught him that although Pelor is great he needs help, Even Sol'mael, the Solar angel, has aided him in many tasks throughout his life, it was he that sent him the first allies, and in the fight against the Dragon and the Balor, Melkior summoned Sol'mael to help him, the mighty Solar accepted, and fought the Balor, while Envelor, Melkior, Michael and Minruel battled the dragon, finally they defeated it, in a bloody battle.
That was 6 years ago, Melkior has found a wife Indala, and he is happy, Lurion enjoys peace and prosperity. Melkior is growing restless, compared to the life of an adventurer, being the high prophet of Pelor is dull. He goes from day to day, talking to his old friends of how he wants to again seek an adventure, and so do they, the dull lives of aristocracy doesn't please mighty heroes and Pelors spokesman.
It was without pause that he searched for something more to do, and one day it arrived.
When Melkior first read the letter he was dumbfounded, first he wanted to make all the preparations in the world, and he wanted his friends and allies to come. He wanted them to help these poor people against the great evil they had happened upon.
He wanted to ask his friends and allies to help him, and they would, but he knew that the hunter's wealth probably would have send them letters if they needed their assistance, however to make sure the letter was legit, he figured waiting one day wouldn't harm anything. He cast his spells to make sure it wasn't some evil trap, after having assured that it was not a trap, Melkior goes to bed, planning on accepting the letter after morning prayers.
The next morning after prayers, the urguency of the letter struck him, and he knew he couldn't keep them waiting, he had to save those poor souls. He quickly went to the armory, drew his fathers old sword, and uttered a short but secure: "Yes"

[spoiler]Will be speaking in yellow with a black glow, it looks rather cool to me.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:47:32 AM by Mixster »
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2010, 06:30:33 PM »
silly question but what do we know about the island is it trapical tempert or just cold.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2010, 07:27:49 PM »
In that case i will amend my character and i will not use the invest life energy ability.....

Silly question but is Player's Handbook 2 in the books allowed?
While you don't mention it in the books allowed you say later that if we want to use an web enchament we should say which is it and you give as an example the Ph2 one....

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2010, 09:16:21 PM »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2010, 11:12:34 PM »
silly question but what do we know about the island is it trapical tempert or just cold.
You guys know nothing other than what a Knowledge (Geography) and Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) roll would give you guys. If you can't make that, a basic INT check of 10 lets you know of a couple of rumours about what someone heard from a friend of a friend of theirs. Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) would also let you know who Tarmin Squire is and his roll in this. An INT roll of 10 (because you can take 10) lets you know that he is a CG ranger/paladin and a part of a guild team known as the Hunter's Wealth. Any hunter worth their salt knows of that guild team, and usually answers with a long sigh and eye roll before saying "Yeah, I know of them."

In that case i will amend my character and i will not use the invest life energy ability.....

Silly question but is Player's Handbook 2 in the books allowed?
While you don't mention it in the books allowed you say later that if we want to use an web enchament we should say which is it and you give as an example the Ph2 one....
PHBII is considered core. All core books are allowed, so yes.

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2010, 12:10:11 AM »
well satisfied with the armour is done. when it comes to weapons I think a repeating crossbow with bayonet secondary any idea of should work for enchantments ? any ideas ?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2010, 12:12:24 AM »
well satisfied with the armour is done. when it comes to weapons I think a repeating crossbow with bayonet secondary any idea of should work for enchantments ? any ideas ?
Personally I've always liked Transmuting and Force. It technically doesn't do any extra damage, but getting past most DR is nice.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2010, 02:15:21 AM »
Are merged and/or custom magic items okay?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2010, 02:16:18 AM »
well that weapions and for rings memo to self need to find better way for regeneration or invisability at will. o well. but will go  but with righ of Ring of Mighty Summons and Ring of Invisibility i have a total of 499428 GC to play with.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2010, 02:31:49 AM »
You mean can you have a ring of invisibility with a ring of protection +1 ability at 1.5x the cost added to it? Just as an example, I mean. Yes.
Custom items are not allowed, no.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2010, 09:49:42 AM »
The spells my character would logically cast on the letter before accepting:

Detect Evil, Detect Magic, Legend Lore, Identify, Refuge giving the item and the command word to his paladin friend, instructing him to use it if they need help in the city, can also be accessed Via a sending (If I need the leadership feat for this, I'll do that but then I'm gonna bring my wizard friend with me, and have the paladin be a lower level guy), Discern Location (Tarmin Squire),
2x Miracle: contact other plane, lesser deity version, first question: 1. Is this letter a trap? If yes: Was the answer to question 1. correct? If no: Is this creature summoned evil?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2010, 11:51:54 AM »
You mean can you have a ring of invisibility with a ring of protection +1 ability at 1.5x the cost added to it? Just as an example, I mean. Yes.
Custom items are not allowed, no.
nice

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2010, 02:36:33 PM »
The spells my character would logically cast on the letter before accepting:

Detect Evil, Detect Magic, Legend Lore, Identify, Refuge giving the item and the command word to his paladin friend, instructing him to use it if they need help in the city, can also be accessed Via a sending (If I need the leadership feat for this, I'll do that but then I'm gonna bring my wizard friend with me, and have the paladin be a lower level guy), Discern Location (Tarmin Squire),
2x Miracle: contact other plane, lesser deity version, first question: 1. Is this letter a trap? If yes: Was the answer to question 1. correct? If no: Is this creature summoned evil?
I'll contact you via PM with the answers. If you're not casting these spells yourself, then yes you'd need Leadership, or you'd have to pay for them. It'd be nice if all you had to say is "I have this wizard friend that I met back at 1st level cast all these spells for me before I leave for an adventure", but nothing comes that easy in life. For Legend Lore, and whatever other spells with focus or material components, you'll need to pay for those as well, as standard.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 02:43:32 PM by kevin_video »

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2010, 07:11:39 PM »
The more I see of everyone else's characters the more dissatisfied I am with mine. I think that the LA and animal HD are just too much to make this character work. Expect me to probably submit a more traditional hunter (ie ranger based) by the end of the weekend since this guy looks like he won't be able to keep up.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2010, 07:15:18 PM »
The more I see of everyone else's characters the more dissatisfied I am with mine. I think that the LA and animal HD are just too much to make this character work. Expect me to probably submit a more traditional hunter (ie ranger based) by the end of the weekend since this guy looks like he won't be able to keep up.
You don't know though that your character won't be able to keep up. It could have its own special abilities that no one else does. However, I won't stop you from revising your character if you wish to do so.

Just for fun, I'm going to put on here the revision of the rules, but don't worry, it's not going to apply to you guys unless you want them to. Basically if you do, it means you're accepting the new challenge given. If you don't, it's not a big deal. It's really getting to the point where what I'm seeing, and what they're seeing, is going against me and allowing them to go "Use the old rules, dammit."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2010, 07:26:10 PM »
Just got an e-mail on the updates for the rules. These won't pertain to you guys since we're doing the playtest which is based off of the rules already set.

1) Characters are not necessarily going to be 20th level, but they could be. Characters are given 190,000 XP to do with as they please as per the original rules. If there character takes XP penalties for lack of favored class levels, or use spells that require XP, they could lose levels.
2) No making their own items, with the exception of wizards making their own scrolls. The items are already made. If you run out of item slot space, too bad. No mixing this with that, even with 1.5 times cost ratio.
3) Book of Exalted Deeds, Draconomicon and Dungeonscape are not approved. Also, Unearthed Arcana, Tome of Battle, the Races books, and the Psionics books are removed. Complete Warrior Hexblade will be used as it is in the book. No Web Enhancements. This includes the dead levels. Fangshield Ranger comes from Champions of Valor, which isn't approved, so removed No using the SRD. No intelligent weapons or weapon familiars. No flaws for extra feats. Spells are per day, not that magic point mana system.
4) No Leadership feat. No "buying" hirelings. If you want spells cast on something because you don't have them, they are CL x 10(level) gp.
5) No death threshold. Just the regular -1 to -9.
6) Death effects are save or die.

Other revisions will come too. Each time with the original rules on them and "Use these" underneath.

Stormcrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2010, 07:36:13 PM »
no flaws ? o well.