Author Topic: Best Choices for Half-elf Dilletante ability?  (Read 3536 times)

Gundam Optimal

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Best Choices for Half-elf Dilletante ability?
« on: July 03, 2008, 09:29:52 PM »
What are the good choices for a Half-Elf to take for his diletante ability? I'm thinking specifically for Warlocks, as they don't seem to have any real stat overlap with other classes that aren't melee powers.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

The enemy is stupidity and our chosen weapons are giant robots: A Let's Play of Super Robot Wars J

Shigunaru

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • I am your "friend"
    • Email
Re: Best Choices for Half-elf Dilletante ability?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:37:27 PM »
You should ask in the 4th edition optimization forum :)

That said, what kind of warlock? High Cha, Con or both? How's your Int?
Posting guidelines. Read 'em. Use 'em. Love 'em.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 02:45:22 PM »
Since there are no primary Con-based first-level at-wills that I can remember off the hook, you'd have to select either A) an at-will that benefitted from Charisma as a secondary stat (I can't remember any class other than the Warlock directly using Charisma for attack, other than Paladin) or B) something that allowed you to buff yourself without needing to hit first. Since you can't select Class Features, some powers are out, like Wizard Cantrips and Channel Divinity. That leaves two Paladin at-wills (Melee only, though) and Commander's Strike from the Warlord. If you consider having a better than average Intelligence, though, Wizard powers are best.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Shigunaru

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • I am your "friend"
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 03:45:33 PM »
Since there are no primary Con-based first-level at-wills that I can remember off the hook, you'd have to select either A) an at-will that benefitted from Charisma as a secondary stat (I can't remember any class other than the Warlock directly using Charisma for attack, other than Paladin) or B) something that allowed you to buff yourself without needing to hit first. Since you can't select Class Features, some powers are out, like Wizard Cantrips and Channel Divinity. That leaves two Paladin at-wills (Melee only, though) and Commander's Strike from the Warlord. If you consider having a better than average Intelligence, though, Wizard powers are best.

What he said :)
Posting guidelines. Read 'em. Use 'em. Love 'em.

JosephKell

• Noob
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 01:22:05 AM »
When it comes to selecting a Dilettante ability, you have to ask yourself what this ability does that your normal At-Wills don't do as good or better because you pick up an At-Will as an Encounter Power.

For instance, a Half-Elf Fighter taking Magic Missile is kind of silly since a Heavy Thrown Weapon is about as good and it uses their primary stat (Str).

In closing, the only At-Will power I would particularly want as an encounter power are Wizard powers, specifically, Scorching Burst and Thunderwave.  So I would take Scorching Burst because it gives you a nice once per encounter power that can hit multiple minions.  Which is something no class's At-Will powers can accomplish other than a Wizards (although Cleave and Twin Attack come close).

Your Int won't be as strong, but you will probably only use Scorching Burst against minions so hopefully they will have the lowest Reflex Defense of the encounter.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 01:05:42 AM »
When it comes to selecting a Dilettante ability, you have to ask yourself what this ability does that your normal At-Wills don't do as good or better because you pick up an At-Will as an Encounter Power.

For instance, a Half-Elf Fighter taking Magic Missile is kind of silly since a Heavy Thrown Weapon is about as good and it uses their primary stat (Str).

In closing, the only At-Will power I would particularly want as an encounter power are Wizard powers, specifically, Scorching Burst and Thunderwave.  So I would take Scorching Burst because it gives you a nice once per encounter power that can hit multiple minions.  Which is something no class's At-Will powers can accomplish other than a Wizards (although Cleave and Twin Attack come close).

Your Int won't be as strong, but you will probably only use Scorching Burst against minions so hopefully they will have the lowest Reflex Defense of the encounter.

Either way, the chances of a Dilettante ability coming into (significant) play at later tiers (and even at first level...) are slim unless the power in question scales well (like Healing Word). Scorching Burst has the advantage of being easier to "aim" due to the way it strikes (you have a much easier time placing the area). Thunderwave is more of a "go away" power because it pushes the opponents away (if it hits), which can be good if you want to withdraw when your enemy's in melee with you (it also covers slightly more squares, and doesn't have the disadvantage of leaving you open to opportunity attacks if you're within melee distance). Overall, as a Dilettante choice, Scorching Burst is more offensive and Thunderwave is more defensive.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 11:26:08 PM »
Honestly, I think Scorching Burst derives a lot of its usefulness from the fact that it is an at-will power.  Thunderwave not so much, but high Wisdom really benefits it, and no serious Warlock gets very high Wisdom at all.  Commander's Strike is the best IMO.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 01:33:28 PM »
Honestly, I think Scorching Burst derives a lot of its usefulness from the fact that it is an at-will power.  Thunderwave not so much, but high Wisdom really benefits it, and no serious Warlock gets very high Wisdom at all.  Commander's Strike is the best IMO.

Well, it IS pretty much the only 1st-level at-will that doesn't require an attack roll, so that sounds quite right.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

PsyBomb

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 01:29:54 PM »
For warlocks, dip to Mage. Thunderwave is nice if you find yourself swarmed often, but no good build will have more than 12 Wis or so. Scorching Burst is really good, so I'll second that. It's what my 'lock took, anyway  :D

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 10:23:03 PM »
For warlocks, dip to Mage. Thunderwave is nice if you find yourself swarmed often, but no good build will have more than 12 Wis or so. Scorching Burst is really good, so I'll second that. It's what my 'lock took, anyway

That'll only save you IF you hit. Just take Ethereal Stride instead; after you get to 2nd level, Thunderwave will be worthless.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

azbo

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 08:50:13 AM »
I took scorching burst with my 1/2 elf warlock for all the reasons mentioned.  I don't use it in every encounter but if I can line up 2-4 targets (especially if some are minions) that are attacking from a back row with missile weapons it offers a pretty good bang for my buck. 

18 CHA, 16 CON, 14 INT Build with fey pact.  Over the pc's career it will likely lose effectiveness because I'll probably bump CON and CHA at every stat increase opportunity.  I mostly have CHA powers but there area lot of nice CON powers I might consider   My only magic item is a +1 wand of vampiric embrace as well so I'm maximizing the effectiveness of a pretty decent decent extra attack I get.  I also have witchfire which is roughly the same damage as vampiric (2d6+5 vs 2d8+4) but instead of 5 hitpoints you take 2+int away from the targets attacks for a turn.  My party seems to really appreciate when I land a witchfire on a big mean critter in the heat of battle as it frequently gives us a round of misses. 

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 12:15:24 PM »
As outlined before, the problem with going for a power that doesn't use your main stat for hitting is that you hit less often, particularly when your foes' defenses start creeping up. As of right now, there simply aren't that many overlapping powers, so you have to rely on powers that don't require a hit roll (which there aren't that many of, either).

The Dilettante ability simply isn't very useful right now. It might become more useful in the future, but in the meantime, it only really helps you have a few more options at the low levels. Other races have it strictly better.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]