Author Topic: How does a gish's life change without Persistent Spell?  (Read 1928 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
How does a gish's life change without Persistent Spell?
« on: October 14, 2010, 06:17:25 AM »
Let's assume Persistent Spell does not exist, but all other first party material is allowed pending DM approval.

I was considering going Dragonborn Fire Gray Elf Martial Conjurer6/Crusader1/Spellsword1/Jade Phoenix Mage5/Abjurant Champion5/Dragonslayer1.  I get 16 BAB and base caster level 18.

Feats, skills, and spells gained each level are still up in the air.

Persistent Spell, however, is a great draw.  If I could, I would go Incantatrix3 for Metamagic Effect, but such is not to be.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Godless_Paladin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: How does a gish's life change without Persistent Spell?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 11:44:26 AM »
For one thing, you want to take better advantage of your party scout and information gathering abilities to have a greater chance of buffing effectively in response to potential threats.  Durations become important and you like things like a metamagic rod of Extend, and quick actions like Swift and Immediate are essential to maximizing your effectiveness.

You don't get to take the easy way out and just have every possible tool on you all the time.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 11:47:31 AM by Godless_Paladin »

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 12:10:29 PM »
More scouting or divination, and can maintain full power for less encounters per day.
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 12:20:03 PM »
again MM rods will be your friend. Extend for those that last hours or maybe 10m/lvl and quicken for your short ones so you can save time buffing for combat. The trick will be to make yourself as efficient as possible in getting buffed before and immediately after rolling init. You become useless if it takes 3 rounds for you to prepare to fight. If you don't like the rods idea you can also see about getting cheaper MM via feats. There is one that reduces the MM feat and arcane thesis for the spells you will use often.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Gods_Trick

• King Kong
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 01:23:56 PM »

Chain of Eyes, scrying and other divination goodness will give you the precious rounds you need to buff. Theres also a trick Tleilaxu_Ghola figured out that works pretty well, I'll see if I can find it since I don't remember if it was spells or feats.to

Simplest would be throw some metamagic reduction on Quicken, or Arcane Thesis your bread & butter spell.

Interesting would be to get Astral Projection and scout out, even mess up the enemies as your party catches up while buffing up according to your info relayed via telepathic Bond or somesuch.

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 07:09:52 PM »
i typically only play with extend spell being available.  so quicken rods and quicken spells become more vaulable.  it comes down to needing to buff less but be better buffed at almost all times. 

and you have to except that you may need to spend a round moving and buffing a spell or so.  its just a fact that sometimes it will happen without persistant spell.

Ron