Author Topic: Need DM/Players for Low-Level, Low Magic Campaign  (Read 9176 times)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Need DM/Players for Low-Level, Low Magic Campaign
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2010, 05:40:21 PM »
While that is certainly a lot of information to try and take in I think I have a concept using the mechanics from the site. I also may end up being a rather weak character mechanics wise but that may just be due to the lack of magic to accurately figure what I should be able to do.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2010, 05:44:26 PM »
I am thinking that the adventurerers should be level 1 and the patrons level 3 with an aristocrat level(to singify their 'patroness').....
Is that ok with you?
Also arcanis about your character I was thinking something special since you won't be either an adventurer or a patron.....

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2010, 05:45:12 PM »
I am thinking that the adventurerers should be level 1 and the patrons level 3 with an aristocrat level(to singify their 'patroness').....
Is that ok with you?
Also arcanis about your character I was thinking something special since you won't be either an adventurer or a patron.....
let me know what you have in mind. either here or in PM.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

konner09

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2010, 06:54:50 PM »
I am confused can some one help and explain it to me
[spoiler] Every generation has a teen heartthrob made for 16 and Tiger Beet magazine.

You can go back many years and there was a guy named Donny Osmond who probably every male teenager wanted to kick the crap out of. Leif Garrett, David Cassidy, The Mmm Bop kids, Justin timberlake, on and on.

This Bieber kid is just another of many over-hyped kids created? by the music machine geniuses to give them someone to grace the covers of 16 magazine and to get little teen girls excited. Random Youtuber [/spoiler]

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. - edgar allen poe

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2010, 06:56:38 PM »
what are you confused about? I can't promise I'll tell you the correct answer but I'll give you one.  ;)

konner09

• Email
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2010, 07:18:50 PM »
what are you confused about? I can't promise I'll tell you the correct answer but I'll give you one.  ;)
I understand the premise i just don't under stand what ToB is and the none arcane magic thingies
[spoiler] Every generation has a teen heartthrob made for 16 and Tiger Beet magazine.

You can go back many years and there was a guy named Donny Osmond who probably every male teenager wanted to kick the crap out of. Leif Garrett, David Cassidy, The Mmm Bop kids, Justin timberlake, on and on.

This Bieber kid is just another of many over-hyped kids created? by the music machine geniuses to give them someone to grace the covers of 16 magazine and to get little teen girls excited. Random Youtuber [/spoiler]

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2010, 07:21:02 PM »
ToB is the acronym for Tome of Battle a WoTC splatbook....

about the second question:all classes with spellcasting,spelllike and supernatural abilities do not exist in this game......
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 07:35:17 PM by betrayor »

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2010, 07:27:21 PM »
I understand the premise i just don't under stand what ToB is and the none arcane magic thingies
Betrayor summed it up. What I did in my post earlier was list what abilities and classes from the Tome of Battle would have a big hit from the setting's rules about magic being rare as hell.

konner09

• Email
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2010, 12:41:32 AM »
Thanks I am terrible with acronyms

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2010, 02:42:11 AM »
How about spell-less versions of base classes? Like the spell-less paladin and ranger alternates, they should probably be acceptable as well.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2010, 03:08:15 AM »
How about spell-less versions of base classes? Like the spell-less paladin and ranger alternates, they should probably be acceptable as well.
The problem with them are that while they are spell-less they have an abundance of spell-like and supernatural abilities.....
Have you seen the heroic paths?Maybe one of them could fit what you like.....
In any case if you people think that this setting is too restrictive we could always play regular E6....

konner09

• Email
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2010, 03:17:34 AM »
The problem with them are that while they are spell-less they have an abundance of spell-like and supernatural abilities.....
In any case if you people think that this setting is too restrictive we could always play regular E6....

lack of magic does not affect me

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2010, 12:23:02 PM »

I like low-magic so it's fine with me.

But where are the heroic paths?

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2010, 12:28:49 PM »
Indeed there is a website.....
http://darknessfalls.leaderdesslok.com/index.htm

It has the information of the open content...
follow the above link. click characters at the top then the paths link is on the left 5th item down.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2010, 02:11:53 PM »
I see it now.

I don't fully understand the magic system. Do you have to take one feat per spell you want to learn, or one feat per school you want to learn?
Can you have both MageCraft Hermetic and Magecraft Spiritual?
I like that it seems magic is more intended to be something you use to aid in solving tasks, and not just something you do and poof everything turns out like you want it.

It seems to me very much like a reverse tome game. Instead of making the martial classes better, they've nerfed the casting classes, which I actually prefer.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2010, 02:51:28 PM »
First you have to take magecraft....

http://darknessfalls.leaderdesslok.com/character_feats.htm#Magecraft

Magecraft [Channeling]
Prerequisites (Hermetic only): Literacy in at least one language in which you are fluent.

Benefit: When you gain this feat, you must choose the magical tradition with which you are connected. You then become a channeling spellcaster and gain benefits and abilities as described below. Regardless of the tradition chosen, the character gains knowledge of prestidigitation, three other 0-level spells of his choice, and one 1st-level spell of his choice. He may then cast a number of those 0-level spells per day equal to 3 + his spellcasting ability modifier. If the caster exceeds this limit, treat all 0-level spells as 1st-level spells for purposes of spell energy and spell damage.

In addition, he gains a number of spell energy points equal to his spellcasting ability modifier. The spell energy can be used to cast the 1st-level spell he selected, as well as later learned spells.

Note that when selecting your 1st-level spell, you may not select spells from the greater schools of magic.

Until a character learns a Spellcasting feat, he can only cast the spells that he learned from the Magecraft feat. Once a character gains a Spellcasting feat, he may learn and cast any channeled spells he wishes within the limits of the rules for channeled spellcasting.

Source: Midnight 2nd Edition, p. 123

The Three Traditions
Charismatic
Spellcasting Ability: Based on Charisma.
Spell List: Magecraft spells must be chosen from the core rules bard spell list. Spellcasting spells must be chosen from the Midnight spell list.

Hermetic
Spellcasting Ability: Based on Intelligence.
Spell List: Magecraft spells must be chosen from the core rules sorcerer/wizard spell list. Spellcasting spells must be chosen from the Midnight spell list.

Spiritual
Spellcasting Ability: Based on Wisdom.
Spell List: Magecraft spells must be chosen from the core rules druid spell list. Spellcasting spells must be chosen from the Midnight spell list.

http://darknessfalls.leaderdesslok.com/character_feats.htm#Spellcasting

Spellcasting [Channeling]
Prerequisites: Magecraft.

Benefit: When this feat is selected, choose one school of magic from the list below. You may now learn and cast spells from this school. You immediately learn one new spell from that school, which may be of any level that you may cast. You may hereafter select spells from this school when learning new spells, and you may cast known spells from this school using the channeled spellcasting rules.

The eight schools are Abjuration, Conjuration (lesser), Divination, Enchantment, Evocation (lesser), Illusion, Necromancy, and Transmutation.

Special: You may choose this feat more than once. Each time you do, you must choose a different school of magic.

Source: Midnight 2nd Edition, p. 124

konner09

• Email
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2010, 03:02:40 PM »
I am fine playing a rouge

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2010, 05:49:45 PM »
I was taking a look at the Charms, and Herbalism stuff, and they look interesting...

Maybe some ritual magic too.

And it still feels like low magic, even with those options. So, I might play a channeler.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2010, 08:21:14 AM »
What is the maximum level of spell you can cast with the spellcasting feat? Can only channelers cast spells above level 1?

EDIT: Ah I see it now. I don't think this system makes for that low-magic, with two feats you can use an entire school, which is decent for non-casters IMO. However, since spells cost XP to learn, most would probably only know a few, which would be quite cool to me.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:27:31 AM by Mixster »

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2010, 08:42:13 AM »
What is the maximum level of spell you can cast with the spellcasting feat? Can only channelers cast spells above level 1?

EDIT: Ah I see it now. I don't think this system makes for that low-magic, with two feats you can use an entire school, which is decent for non-casters IMO. However, since spells cost XP to learn, most would probably only know a few, which would be quite cool to me.

The thing that keeps it low magic is the spell energy....
A character only haves his casting modifier amount for spell energy....
So for example even a 20 level rogue with intelligence 18 and the magecraft and spellcasting featswould only be able to cast 4 levels of spell per day...