Author Topic: Need DM/Players for Low-Level, Low Magic Campaign  (Read 9165 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Re: Need DM/Players for Low-Level, Low Magic Campaign
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 07:43:56 PM »
Interesting...
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
That could work out. Though I do see the lack of divine magic possibly pushing people away, or being a huge tell as to who is evil. I'm trying to figure out what to play as well since I've never played e6 before and my concept was based around a PrC that I couldn't get into under that system. I'm considering something else right now and just trying to figure out how well it would fit in e6.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 07:55:47 PM »
In this setting magic is really low....
There are no traditional spellcasters....
Everything with spellcasting is banned....
Spellcasting is feat based and it uses a variant of point system rather than vancian.....
There is a spellcasting class(channeler) but even a Chaneller 20 could only cast  20+casting modifier levels of spells.....
Also magic items are very limited.....

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 07:57:04 PM »
maybe we could escew e6 as Midnight is allready low magic.....
I don;t really see the reason to implement e6 in this setting...

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 07:59:38 PM »
Are any of you familiar with the Midnight campaign setting?
"If by familiar with the Midnight campaign setting" you mean "a member of a group that collectively, between the players and the DM, got tired of the bleakness of the setting, after which the PCs collected all the black mirrors they could, and ended up shattering (and thus detonating) them all next to the capitol city, killing off Izrador, the PCs, and the entire population of a couple hundred mile radius for good", then yes.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 08:28:20 AM »
Are any of you familiar with the Midnight campaign setting?
"If by familiar with the Midnight campaign setting" you mean "a member of a group that collectively, between the players and the DM, got tired of the bleakness of the setting, after which the PCs collected all the black mirrors they could, and ended up shattering (and thus detonating) them all next to the capitol city, killing off Izrador, the PCs, and the entire population of a couple hundred mile radius for good", then yes.

Wow what an epic way to end a campaign......
I wish our group could do something similar but we are full of goodies-goodies who shudder at the thought that innocent life will be lost.....

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 08:43:40 AM »
We didn't really have to work at it that hard - I think all that happened in like a single session after everyone realized that the setting wasn't our cup of tea.  I think it was after the local midnight fanatic at our FLGS mentioned it was so realistic because the good guys never win or something.  Long time ago.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 09:12:35 AM »
... mentioned it was so realistic because the good guys never win or something...

That guy's got a screw loose...

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 11:10:07 AM »
well I'll be willing to give it a try. Would we be using regular d20 classes aside from spell casters? What about classes that fall into grey areas?

Also Betrayor is my idea of my character being the messenger good with you? I'm not sure how a character with some kind of teleportation/long range communication abilities would fit into the setting, even if those would be limited to passing messages.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

konner09

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 01:45:29 PM »
I really like this idea lots of options to create mayhem
[spoiler] Every generation has a teen heartthrob made for 16 and Tiger Beet magazine.

You can go back many years and there was a guy named Donny Osmond who probably every male teenager wanted to kick the crap out of. Leif Garrett, David Cassidy, The Mmm Bop kids, Justin timberlake, on and on.

This Bieber kid is just another of many over-hyped kids created? by the music machine geniuses to give them someone to grace the covers of 16 magazine and to get little teen girls excited. Random Youtuber [/spoiler]

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. - edgar allen poe

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 03:17:42 PM »
Creating new profiles for our patrons/serfs is a great idea. Then we could have our character portrait as our avatar.
Would requrie us to re-log every time we wanted to post something though.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 03:31:17 PM »
Well the accepted base classes in Midnight are Barbarian,Rogue, fighter and three specific classes for the setting, channeller(replaces spellcasters),Defender(replaces paladin and monk) and wildlander(replaces ranger).....
Also any class that does not have spellcasting,spell-like abilities and supernatural abilities should be acceptable(Marshal,Scout,Samurai,Swashbuckler)......
Also everyone gets a heroic path which add some abilities at each level.......
Gear is very restricted(especially magic items).....

@Arch.Arc I have no problem with your idea and mechanically it could work very easily in the setting,no teleportation but long range communication it is okay....

I was thinking of begining at level 1 for the adventurers and level 3 for the Patrons.....

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2010, 04:09:53 PM »
Well I guess with those restrictions the ToB (I believe it state the maneuvers are Su) is out as well as the class I was looking at (Dragon Shaman).

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2010, 04:14:10 PM »
Only a few specific maneuvers are Supernatural (about half of Desert Wind, a third of Shadow Hand, and a few scattered about the other disciplines). The default is Extraordinary (including, oddly enough, the Shadow Hand teleports).
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2010, 04:26:17 PM »
You could use a class if you remove the supernatural abilities....
So if you want to use ToB just don't use any supernatural or spell-like abilities......
The same holds true for other clasess but I suspect that other clasess rely too much on these abilities to be of assistance without them.....
If you want I can post the campaign specific classes as they are open content.......

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2010, 04:31:54 PM »
yeah I would love to see the open content stuff. And you are correct most classes would fail at being anything if you take away the Su abilities. (the key ones for Dragon Shaman are all lost)

ToB only 1 class feature is lost among the 3 base classes and that is the SS ability to sense magic. So the book remains useful if you can avoid the Su maneuvers.
The PrCs are a mixed bag. Bloodclaw loses shifting, Bloodstorm loses nothing, Don't even look at Deepstone, Eternal Blade looses Spirit guide (which most other abilities are based on), JPM is a spellcaster so is out, Mo9 is untouched, RKV is a spellcaster so is out, SSN is based on Monk so it is out (even if it weren't everything is Su).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:45:32 PM by archangel.arcanis »

konner09

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2010, 04:39:06 PM »
Okay i am just going to list what i think is going on
  • betrayer is dming
  • discussing available classes
  • desiding how to use patrons and servents
[spoiler] Every generation has a teen heartthrob made for 16 and Tiger Beet magazine.

You can go back many years and there was a guy named Donny Osmond who probably every male teenager wanted to kick the crap out of. Leif Garrett, David Cassidy, The Mmm Bop kids, Justin timberlake, on and on.

This Bieber kid is just another of many over-hyped kids created? by the music machine geniuses to give them someone to grace the covers of 16 magazine and to get little teen girls excited. Random Youtuber [/spoiler]

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. - edgar allen poe

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2010, 04:49:30 PM »
This maybe a stupid question but how can I post something from a pdf?
When I try copying and paste the format becomes distorted.....
Is my only solution to fix it by hand?

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2010, 04:59:49 PM »
using the code button maybe? I have found a webpage that has at least some of the OGL stuff on it though.

betrayor

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2010, 05:07:12 PM »
Indeed there is a website.....
http://darknessfalls.leaderdesslok.com/index.htm

It has the information of the open content...