Author Topic: Best Class/Magic Items for a SOLO campaign.  (Read 6941 times)

HotSoup

• Monkey bussiness
Best Class/Magic Items for a SOLO campaign.
« on: October 12, 2010, 05:35:30 PM »
I'm going to be running through solo with a friend, and I'm wondering what would be some strong classes to do so. Caster most likely, as a warrior is just to narrow. Any level really, I get to choose, though I imagine it will be somewhere close to 10. And while we are at it, is their any specific Magic Items you can think of that would greatly aid me in this?

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
Re: Best Class/Magic Items for a SOLO campaign.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 05:42:40 PM »
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 05:45:14 PM »
It depends on the amount of encounters you will face per day. But overall I think the druid is the best choice. He has the most all-round spell list, wicked summons with greenbound summoning, he has an animal companion (which can turn into a really nice damage dealer with Venomfire), and he can heal stuff.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 05:48:05 PM »
I'd look to fill a lot of slots with swift action activate (or better yet free) type of items. Maximize your action economy since you're an army of one. Custom MIC if you can.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 05:52:34 PM »
Druid, Cleric, StP Erudite, or Artificer.

I'd say Druid is the most straightforward.

As far as magic items, combine things of same slot per DMG and MIC, and add wilding clasps to absolutely everything.

A Druid 5/Planar Shepherd 5 would be great.
BG's other resident furry!

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 05:57:08 PM »
For a solo campaign, I'd go with one of the following 3 ideas:

1. Druid. As other have said, it's as close to a one man party as it gets. You can melee, are a full caster, you have an animal companion and SNA creatures make for dispsable trapfinders.

2. DMM: Persist (cloistered) cleric with kobold and travel domain. You are a full caster by default (although cleric spell list lacks in certain areas), DMM: Persist makes you a combat powerhouse at lvl 7+, and Kobold (trapfinding) and Travel (mobility) help round your character in two very important areas.

3. Chameleon. You can build this char in quite a number of ways (my favorite is cloistered cleric 1/paladin 2/fighter2/chameleon x; I think credit must go to Caelic for that), but you will most certainly be able to cope with a lot of situations due to the inherent customization of your abilities the class allows you to do daily

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 06:34:43 PM »
Druid is the best choice, DMM Cleric with the luck domain probably the second. If you want to try something a bit different Gnome Beguiler/Shadowcraft mage works well, also Factotum 8/Chameleon is pretty potent by itself. If you can get stuff from Pathfinder approved the Summoner class is really good at summoning things, so it can put you on a more even footing for battle.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 06:38:43 PM »
I'm going to be running through solo with a friend, and I'm wondering what would be some strong classes to do so. Caster most likely, as a warrior is just to narrow. Any level really, I get to choose, though I imagine it will be somewhere close to 10. And while we are at it, is their any specific Magic Items you can think of that would greatly aid me in this?
Sorcerer, of course!

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 07:17:58 PM »
Druid 5/Planar Shepherd 2/Sacred Exorcist 1/Planar Shepherd X

This way you get BOTH Divine Metamagic and Druid class features.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

BeholderSlayer

• Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 07:21:18 PM »
Sorcerer, of course!
Sorcerator?
Hi Welcome
[spoiler]
Allow me to welcome you both with my literal words and with an active display of how much you fit in by being tone deaf, dumb, and uncritical of your babbling myself.[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 07:24:28 PM »
Sorcerer, of course!
Sorcerator?
Sorcelator.

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 07:50:47 PM »
If you end up going cleric, definitely consider being nongood, with a nongood deity. Simply by being able to cast evil cleric spells*, you can turn the strongest enemies you defeat into allies.

* desecrate and animate dead. If you need a bigger undead army, just buy a bunch of chickens. They're 2cp each. Cast black sand then consumptive field on them. The ones that fail their saves increase your CL, and the ones that make their saves become Black Sand, which you can then put in the boots of your undead.

Of course, you could always want to be good, so this might not work out.

Chameleon is a lot of fun, though it definitely won't have the raw power of a cleric or druid. You can make a solid melee build with good utility thanks to spells. Or you can focus on their casting and use a good deal of trickery to get higher level spell slots. It takes some investment though.

HotSoup

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 07:55:06 PM »
I will be going either Druid or Cleric for sure than. I've played Clerics, but never druids, so I wouldn't know where to start. But if I go Cleric, I would end up going DMM: Persist, probably a Walker in the Wastes to become a lich, if I'm solo'ing, a tleast this way when I can't "Die"

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 08:02:12 PM »
Feat Rogue 1 ... but only for 1st level. Or the Ranger sub.
You get Trapfinding, then go whatever Full caster after.
This eliminates 1 specific problem, for not much cost.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 09:48:24 PM »
You might want to think about going with artificer. Go warforged, and it's even better. Then start looking at all of the alternative class features for warforged artificers in Races of Eberron.

Druids are keen for this kind of thing, as are factotums and factotum/chameleons, as well.

Then again, there's always the crusader/totemist. You can heal yourself so hard.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 10:07:11 PM »
No Dread Necro with Tomb Tainted Soul? Infinite out-of-combat healing, and every defeated enemy is a possible future minion.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 12:36:16 AM »
Artificer is probably the best solo character as they can pretty much do anything they put their mind to. Although factotum/chameleons come close in that regard but are not quite as at doing everything.

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 01:05:50 AM »
At level 10 binder might be a good choice due to the summoning vestige.
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

gorfnad

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 01:46:37 AM »
I will be going either Druid or Cleric for sure than. I've played Clerics, but never druids, so I wouldn't know where to start. But if I go Cleric, I would end up going DMM: Persist, probably a Walker in the Wastes to become a lich, if I'm solo'ing, a tleast this way when I can't "Die"
The Druid Handbook would be a great place to start.

Trapfinding Arcane Hunter Ranger 1/ Druid 5 / Planar Shepard 10/ X 4 or Rogue 1/ Druid 5/ Planar Shepard 10/ Daggerspell Shaper 4 - would be fairly self sufficient.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 01:54:37 AM by gorfnad »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 02:08:29 AM »
No Dread Necro with Tomb Tainted Soul? Infinite out-of-combat healing, and every defeated enemy is a possible future minion.
I think a UA Wizard specializing in Necromancy might be better here.  Not only do you get the Skeletal Minion, but you can take the Obtain Familiar feat at a later time and eventually grab some manner of Mephit companion to follow you around.  Even better would be a Coure Eladrin, but that requires you to be Exalted, which clashes somewhat with the whole master-of-undeath thing.  Of course, you can always research an analogue to Animate Dead that raises Skeletons/Zombies with the Deathless type instead of the Undead type.  Such creatures could even be healed by the same wand of CLW that you'll no doubt be using for yourself.