Author Topic: Occasional feeback appreciated.  (Read 1125 times)

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
Occasional feeback appreciated.
« on: August 15, 2010, 08:33:12 AM »
Ok, so my mind wanders from my E8 Gestalt campaign, to running Red Hand of Doom or Savage Tide, to my pyramid dungeon delve, to my level 2-20 full campaign and back again.

So, as I do this, certain questions arise and instead of posting multiple topics, I'll just cram them 'ol questions in here instead.

Currently working on my 2-20 campaign, focusing on the 2-5 level arch.
First question:
Summoner Ooze advanced to 7HD is CR 5. Celestial Riding Dogs/Fiendish Wolves are respectable opponents for level 5 characters, unlike the SMI monsters and a level 4 party.
Since it achieves 6 HD, it needs one more feat.

Giving the party openings for proper research to come up with a battle plan, would it be too much to add Beckon the Frozen to the ooze?
1d6 cold damage is dangerous since it adds up fast, but Resist Energy (Cold) nerfs it totally.

So, good idea or not?

Discuss! :p
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
Re: Occasional feeback appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 11:24:22 PM »
Ok, so apparently my EG8 campaign might actually get going reasonably soon (as in within a month) and the party so far seems like it's going to be:

Changeling Binder 8//Rogue 3/Fighter 1/Barbarian 1/Swordsage 1/Chameleon 2
Changeling Beguiler 7/Mindbender 1//Focused Conjurer 8
Human Scout 4/Ranger 2/Targeteer 2//Cleric 8. There's a chance he'll instead play Druid 8//Swordsage 8.
Human "Something with lots of testosterone"//Cleric 8.

I'll say it now Jonas, in case you've joined and searched my posts:
Get out.

With that said, my -very- basic idea is to start with a caravan guard, after which they will arrive at "Small Town X". Here, they'll be able to socialize, acquire contacts, get side quests, find loot, pick up information and so on.

After a suitable time, they'll stumble across the main plotline, which so far is the somewhat generic "Find these X items and bring them to Y place so that we can do Z, otherwise The Very Bad Thing will happen."

The world was a regular DnD world about a thousand years ago, but then a massive failing of the interdimensional curtains, the following battles and catastrophes, the wizards that popped up once every twenty years and tried to carve themselves a place in the local pantheon and a few other things, the gods got angry.

Enforcing the dimensional barriers, putting a limit on how much power anyone could acquire, abducting most of the monsters that would rule undisputed without powerful heroes to stop them etc.

There's plenty of more fluff, but I want to get onto my questions, so any questions you might have about the setting, just ask.

I'm taking inspiration from among other things Zelda, which my players are aware of and support, so stealing ideas are not frowned upon.
I need help with a few things:

1. The caravan duty will mostly be social stuffs, with one encounter planned.
A Gnoll attack, with 1 Flind, 4 Gnolls and 2 Hyenas. The CR system says this is a CR 6 encounter, but I think they'll be able to handle it.
They're competently optimized and it is supposed to be the only encounter they have. I will play the Flind as smart as he is supposed to be, so this attack will probably be done at dusk/during the night.

Do the rest of you smell dead PC's from this description?

2. I would appreciate any hooks I can use as sidequests.
I've got the "Kobold Nest Extermination Quest", taking a lot of inspiration from TuckersKobolds.

I have a few very tentative other quests aswell, if anyone got any suggestions, I'm open for them.

3. Wonderous locales.

I need iconic places.
I've got the Castle in the Sky, the Water Temple (though not as annoying), the WyldWood (you know the one that borders on the realm of Fae? Yeah that one), the Fire Temple inside the earth with lots of lava, cogs and gears.

The Desert Colossus and the Twilight Princes version of Kakariko, along with the idea for a neighboring Thri-Kreen tribe that could be used for something.

The temperate marsh (this will have to be later in the campaign, since the opposition here would be a Hag Covey, a black dragon, Shambling Mounds, Grey Renders etc.).

Of course, the Lost World a la dinosaur island and the Ice Temple with a Gem of Brightness frozen in a wall of ice.

An infiltration into a Hobgoblin mountain stronghold.
Anyone got any more options for me to use?

4. Puzzles and Riddles.

The more the merrier was the request, so I can't have enough of these apparently.

Anyone got any good puzzles or riddles that worked well?

Anyone got any ideas whatsoever that could be used, as far as sidequests, dungeon design, puzzles, traps, riddles, monsters, notable npc's or pretty much anything goes, in this little idea of mine, you're welcome to share.

As carnivore would say:

:D
[Spoiler]
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 04:17:51 AM »
so what level are they? are they 16 or is that the builds they are planning?
what are the current levels and classes? after that is clear i could give some advice about the monsters. generally you should know what they are capable of already though. so just go with your instinct.

if your looking for hooks tied to locations with a zelda ish theme you could try something like..
there is some magical cubes. you could go a few ways with ....
1. over time they have cracked, and wild magic is leaking into the surrounding areas. maybe pc's need to get the cubes, take them to X and have Y repair them, then return them.
2. The cubes are being stolen, and eatch one acts like a key to a dimensional gate or something. and evil demons or w/e are flooding into the plane. so the pc's need to retrieve said cubes/key w/e.
you could place each cube in the temples you were planning.

for a trap/riddle i might suggest some sort of elemental halls. maybe one for eatch element. in front of each hall is 4 pictures/buttons w/e that eatch have one of the elements on it. maybe the pc's have to set eatch hall to the correct element, and if they arent right then when they enter abunch of elementals will attack until they leave and reset the buttons.

idk... hope this is somewhat helpful.. or atleast gets the ideas flowin.
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 03:32:58 PM »
Oh, I should have been more clear. EG8 means "E6 though it's E8 and also uses the Gestalt Rules".

So they're going to start at level one, cap at level eight and then start getting more feats after that.

And I like the "cracking and start leaking magic", though I think I might just use them as key components to combine with each other. Also specific ways in which to use them. All in the effort to keep something from breaking...
Maybe even find Person Z to be able to repair Item X, to combine with Item Y to close Planar Vortex E...

Yeah, them ideas are slowly stirring :)
[Spoiler]

[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius