Author Topic: Aboleth - Project Image - "interact with ... "???  (Read 644 times)

ahlarocca

• Monkey bussiness
Aboleth - Project Image - "interact with ... "???
« on: October 10, 2010, 08:48:11 PM »
thanks for reading.  I'm running a campaign in D & D 3.5 where the finale includes an Aboleth.  The players encounter the Aboleth already having cast it's projected image.  Project image reads 'will disbelief (if interacted with)'.  What exactly constitutes interacting with?  If a player looks at the projected image from afar?  If a player is within 30 feet?  If player casts a spell at the projected image?  If a cleric casts a summon monster next to the projected image? 

It seems a little "grey" when trying to figure out when exactly a player gets a will save?

Patrick

weenog

• Grape ape
Re: Aboleth - Project Image - "interact with ... "???
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 09:08:25 PM »
Read PHB pages 173 and 174, Saving Throws and Illusions (Disbelief).  Isn't going to give you hard and fast rules for every situation, by the nature of illusions attempting that is futile, but it should give you an idea of what you're doing.

Generally I wouldn't give them a disbelief option just for seeing it unless they saw it do something an aboleth can't normally do.  An attack hitting the aboleth's touch AC and missing completely anyway (that is, swinging freely rather than bouncing off natural armor) is theoretically possible (could be a powerful spellcaster having used Ghostform, for example), but it's a pretty strong indicator that something is up nonetheless.  Moving at normal speed through a space it can't actually fit through is another example.  You get the idea, I hope.

I would certainly make the checks secretly, unless I were regularly in the habit of offering the players disbelief saves against real things.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."