Author Topic: Learning other spell lists?  (Read 6761 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Learning other spell lists?
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2010, 07:06:40 PM »

As long as you are touching the ground, you can take a move action to sense the number of creatures within 20 feet that are also touching the ground and the direction to each one. You cannot pinpoint the location of any creature with this feat.

Relative position can be expressed as a function of direction and distance.  Earth Sense gives you the direction part of the function, while the fact that you're 10' underground (to maximize the radius of Earth Sense) gives you distance.  That line merely states that the Earth Sense feat doesn't give you the distance, but if you just set yourself up in a position where you can figure it out yourself, then you can figure out where they are regardless.

Thistledown Thurbertaut

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Unseelie Fae
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2010, 07:09:50 PM »
But pinpointing in DnD has a special meaning.  It's like with blindsense.  You may be able to tell what square they are in, but unless the rules say you can pinpoint you won't be able to target them.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2010, 07:56:05 AM »
But pinpointing in DnD has a special meaning.  It's like with blindsense.  You may be able to tell what square they are in, but unless the rules say you can pinpoint you won't be able to target them.
Even if you can pinpoint them, how are you going to target them through 10' of sand?  I'm pretty sure that blocks LOE.

Also, creatures relying on blindsense can target things they can't see as well, they just have to deal with the 50% miss chance (which generally only applies to rays and touch attacks as far as spells go).

Waazraath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2010, 04:07:54 PM »
Related to this: how to get a level 2 divinition spell from the ranger list on the wizard list?

What I tried already: UMD is difficult, extra spell disallowed as in "this is not RAI", wyrm wizard costs a caster level, and unseen seer has too steep skill prereqs... any suggestions?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2010, 04:09:10 PM »
Cataclysm mage?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2010, 04:30:38 PM »
Cataclysm mage?
You have no idea how hard finding that via Google was.

Waazraath

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2010, 05:10:51 PM »
Found it, but it also looses a caster level, and I can't really see how it would help  ???

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2010, 05:21:31 PM »
Cataclysm mage?
You have no idea how hard finding that via Google was.
This can be helpful in situations like that.

Waazraath

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2010, 05:28:07 PM »
That's exactly where google sent me  :)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2010, 05:33:56 PM »
I thought it gained an extra spell.  Must have misremembered.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2010, 07:56:51 PM »
Related to this: how to get a level 2 divinition spell from the ranger list on the wizard list?

What I tried already: UMD is difficult, extra spell disallowed as in "this is not RAI", wyrm wizard costs a caster level, and unseen seer has too steep skill prereqs... any suggestions?

Frankly, I think the easiest answer IS finding the best way to enter Unseen Seer... as I recall, Ruathar has most of the skills as class skills.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

raith0

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2010, 10:26:19 PM »
the other way to go about this is to dip 1 level to get a domain that contains the needed spell or anyspell domain.  now if you have the ability get knowledge religon to your skill list then go from there.  or use anyspell feat if the DM is willing.  or maybe you could work on a quest that involves the party to get it added to your list or take scribe scroll and leadership and have your ranger friend help you make the scrolls.  only requires 2 days per scroll so its something to do during random down times.