Author Topic: Equipment advice for a Dred Necro  (Read 4326 times)

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
Re: Equipment advice for a Dred Necro
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 12:46:04 PM »
Silent Image
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 02:32:19 PM »
I thought about that one.  I was thinking Charm Person would be better, but that affects a much narrower range of creatures.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 09:42:44 AM »
I'm toying with Entangle, because I know the DM's been very generous on where it works (even in most towns and cities!), but my last PC was a druid who made heavy use of Entangle and Quickened Entangle.

I'm going to have to pour through the SpC as well.  I remember Wall of Smoke being pretty good once you got a few caster levels.  I should be able to march my undead through it with no effect.  Tasha's Hideous Laughter would be great (1st level Bard list), but since it's a 2nd level Wizard spell, I doubt it will fly.

There could be some use to Sanctuary, since I have some strong undead helpers, but that one's at the bottom of my list.  I keep toying with Magic Missile, but 3/day with no way to boost it is pretty weak.  It would be nice against incorporeal creatures, or for those times when I want some extra guaranteed damage, but I think those times will be few and far between.

Should I just keep the 2 SP and +1 DC?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 09:59:26 AM »
Haste from the Trapsmith list? :P
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 11:00:46 AM »
I have a feeling the DM will want me to use the higher level spell if it's on a 9th-level spell list.  Otherwise, yes, Haste would be the bee's knees for that zombie of mine.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 09:48:32 AM »
I figured I'd bump this one last time.  I'm playing in an Ad Hoc, middle-of-the-week session tonight, so I'll likely be spending my phat lewts in less than ten hours.

I appreciate the advice so far.  I'm just curious if anyone has any other insights, about gear, or about a good 1st level spell to add as an SLA.

The DM is cool with the Enveloping Pit (yay!), but I probably will have to find it, and not get it at the shop, as it's a relic.  I'll likely buy a Hat of Disguise, just because it's so useful.  I'll probably get a +1 bow.  That leaves me with roughly 5,000 gp left.  I could, in theory, buy an Energy Assault crystal for 3,000 gp, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.  I so seldom use that bow.  Maybe I'd use it more...  

I'll likely boost my AC by 2-3 points unless I can find a really handy item that's just plain useful (on par with the hat).  I guess that's my biggest question right now: are there any good items around the 5,000 gp or lower range that are just plain useful?  It doesn't necessarily have to have combat applications, but stuff like the Hat of Disguise and Enveloping Pit would be so convenient.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 11:00:25 AM »
I wouldn't bother with the crystal.  You mentioned Anklets of Translocation in your first post.  Do you already have them?  There is always the option to save so you can get better things later =)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
I wouldn't bother with the crystal.  You mentioned Anklets of Translocation in your first post.  Do you already have them?  There is always the option to save so you can get better things later =)
No, I don't have the anklets yet.  IIRC, they're swift action, which is nice, but it's not as good as an immediate action.  I'm curious what people think about them.

Unless I move around too much (not likely right now), I don't have to worry too much about saving.  The DM treats items as sort of a commodity, so I rarely lose money on a flat-out swap for magic items, unless he thinks they're really obscure (like no one would buy them).  So, I can likely spend all 9,000 gp, and be able to trade out lesser items later to get better ones when I get more money.  I.e, he'll likely let me trade a Ring of Protection +1 and 6,000 gp for a Ring of Protection +2.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 12:30:34 PM »
I appreciate the advice so far.  I'm just curious if anyone has any other insights, about gear, or about a good 1st level spell to add as an SLA.
Maybe Nerveskitter? Winning initiative is always fun.

The DM is cool with the Enveloping Pit (yay!), but I probably will have to find it, and not get it at the shop, as it's a relic.  I'll likely buy a Hat of Disguise, just because it's so useful.  I'll probably get a +1 bow.  That leaves me with roughly 5,000 gp left.  I could, in theory, buy an Energy Assault crystal for 3,000 gp, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.  I so seldom use that bow.  Maybe I'd use it more... 

I'll likely boost my AC by 2-3 points unless I can find a really handy item that's just plain useful (on par with the hat).  I guess that's my biggest question right now: are there any good items around the 5,000 gp or lower range that are just plain useful? It doesn't necessarily have to have combat applications, but stuff like the Hat of Disguise and Enveloping Pit would be so convenient.
Anklets of Translocation don't have an attunement period, so you could always get a spare, and swap for it when you've used your first one twice in a day. Or if your undead are intelligent, you could give them Anklets. I find that it's useful to get one if you don't have anything else to put in your foot slot. Or, it's useful to get several, if you're doing any sort of melee that needs good positioning. I'd actually get one for each of your intelligent melee minions, unless they're using a two-handed weapon, and you expect them to get charged (then get them Steadfast Boots instead).

You could also put one of those 300gp Crystal of Return, least on each of your undead minions' melee weapons, so that they can quickdraw them.

I'm also fond of Glyph Seals (1k gp each) for utility. Probably too fond of them, actually, since they mostly only shine when you can get access to spells at a lower level than normal (such as with a Chameleon), but if you have any good first or second level melee buffs, you can put a couple in glyph seals and stick them to the hilt of your Ogre's large greatsword (or whatever it uses). When it quickdraws the thing, it recieves buffs.

The Glyph Seals would mostly be useful once you can commission a runestaff to get spells that aren't on your list, like Wraithstrike, Heroics, and Mirror Image. (Note that two of these are personal buffs. You can still put them in Glyph Seals for your minions.)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 02:13:40 PM »
Instead of the anklets, I'd go for the Shadow Cloak from DotU.  It's on the high end of your range (5.5 k) but buying abrupt jaunt is cool.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 02:37:40 PM »
Sadly, I don't have DotU.  It's probably best if the items come from the DMG or MIC.  Libris Mortis could probably work too.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]